Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds High A Team Location in 2015? Any chance for change

Re: Reds High A Team Location in 2015? Any chance for change

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Here is a news article about the Sandnats in Savannah wanting to jump ship to Columbia S.C.

http://www.gpb.org/news/2014/01/02/p...seball-stadium..

Might be an opening and a chance to move a crappy team to Savannah!!
    Like Lynchburg. If I owned that team I'd bolt for Savannah in a hot second.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Like Lynchburg. If I owned that team I'd bolt for Savannah in a hot second.
    Especially since they are talking about either redoing Grayson stadium up to Dayton's standards or using it as part of a Stadium/arena/ampitheater complex in downtown anchoring an expansion of the downtown. Complete with new residential high density lofts, condos, and hotels. Plus a lot of bars, shops, and eats. The one developer is Buddy Carter is dropping $75 million of his own cash redoing properties he owns for this purpose.

http://savannahnow.com/exchange/2014...n#.U75Lo7EmVJV

Here's a link to the study for a new stadium..

http://savannahnow.com/news/2014-02-...m#.U75MNbEmVJV

The city is debating whether to drop $125 million into this complex.
    Last edited by bellhead; 07-10-2014 at 05:18 AM.

However, if that went thru the move to Columbia wouldn't be needed. At any rate, Savannah and Columbia are not players in the Reds High A franchise unless the old plan to move 2 California League teams to Carolina got revised, and I haven't heard anything like that.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Rancho Cucamonga would be nice.

Parents live right down the street and it is a very nice park, a great place compared to Bakersfield.

I would love them to come to the Carolina League, mainly so I can see them (am still mad the Mudcats was so short lived with the Reds). I grew up on Carolina League baseball when the Bulls were A ball, but haven't followed them as much since they moved to AAA. Is "Carolina" in Burlington?
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Carolina is Zebulon which is just outside Raleigh
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Augh, duh, I knew that, wasn't thinking of them being in the Carolina League which is what threw me off. I went to a few games when they were the Reds farm but haven't been back since. Nice little small time stadium, but fun to go to games there.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

This :

The Bay County Tourist Development Council decided Tuesday to spearhead a plan to design and build a new amateur sports complex in Panama City Beach. Some consider the move the first step in bringing a minor league baseball team to the Miracle Strip.

The TDC voted at its May meeting to explore a partnership with a private group that is working to recruit a team—likely a Class A affiliate.

A new sports complex is planned adjacent to Frank Brown Park and a potential minor league stadium would most likely go in the same area.
    “It would be huge," said TDC Chairman Buddy Wilkes. "Number one--it could be a great asset for the community. It will be a nice amenity for local families,” he noted. Wilkes said tickets prices could cost as little as $3.00 each.

is also associated with this development :

http://ballparkdigest.com/2014072274...aperwork-filed

and the MLB team is the Atlanta Braves and will have to some how effect Jacksonville.
    Last edited by 19braves77; 07-22-2014 at 07:04 PM.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

There's nothing I like better than wild ass speculation so let's try some..... So the line about it being a Class A affiliate? I'm not buying that. The 2 relatively close A leagues are the South Atlantic League and Florida State League. However, I think Panama City is too far out for both of their footprints.

So what scenario could involve Jacksonville? Let's try this one..... Panama City fits exactly in with the Southern League. In the past Jacksonville has been offered a AAA franchise. Let's assume Jacksonville has an offer to buy a AAA franchise. They buy it, so now they need to sell their AA franchise. They sell it to Panama City. Boom. Done deal.

However... that doesn't affect Savannah. And it doesn't affect Atlanta. So, I think that is a unrelated deal.. Here's how I think that goes down....

Savannah moves to Columbia. The only way for Savannah to get a franchise is to get one from some other High A franchise. Atlanta likes to own their franchises so the easy route is to buy Lynchburg and move it to Savannah.

Bigger plan is to revive the 2 California franchise move to Carolina. That way, Lynchburg keeps their franchise, Bakersfield moves to Savannah, and undisclosed Cal team moves to undisclosed NC/SC city.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 07-22-2014 at 10:13 PM.

Looked around..... no new news. But things should start happening soon. Only 3 1/2 weeks till end of season.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    There's nothing I like better than wild ass speculation so let's try some..... So the line about it being a Class A affiliate? I'm not buying that. The 2 relatively close A leagues are the South Atlantic League and Florida State League. However, I think Panama City is too far out for both of their footprints.

So what scenario could involve Jacksonville? Let's try this one..... Panama City fits exactly in with the Southern League. In the past Jacksonville has been offered a AAA franchise. Let's assume Jacksonville has an offer to buy a AAA franchise. They buy it, so now they need to sell their AA franchise. They sell it to Panama City. Boom. Done deal.

However... that doesn't affect Savannah. And it doesn't affect Atlanta. So, I think that is a unrelated deal.. Here's how I think that goes down....

Savannah moves to Columbia. The only way for Savannah to get a franchise is to get one from some other High A franchise. Atlanta likes to own their franchises so the easy route is to buy Lynchburg and move it to Savannah.

Bigger plan is to revive the 2 California franchise move to Carolina. That way, Lynchburg keeps their franchise, Bakersfield moves to Savannah, and undisclosed Cal team moves to undisclosed NC/SC city.

I like that idea...

Is Biloxi replacing Jacksonville, next year, in the Southern League? They are replacing someone.
    Just checked, and Biloxi is replacing Huntsville. Just figured if it was Jville, maybe some chips would start falling, reguarding a relocation.
    Last edited by Tuff Nut; 08-07-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Went to the Blaze game in Bakersfield last night. I asked around, and the reporter in the press box said that the Blaze will be back in Bakersfield next season, and they will be affiliated with the Reds. I have no idea where he got his info, or if it's correct, or if he was just guessing, but that's what he said. Take it for what it's worth.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

My dream is for the Legends to upgrade their park to High A standards and find a way to bring a Southern League team to Lexington for the Reds. Just better keep on dreaming though.

BTW, what are the requirements for a High A park (seating capacity, dimensions, amenities, etc.)?

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    My dream is for the Legends to upgrade their park to High A standards and find a way to bring a Southern League team to Lexington for the Reds. Just better keep on dreaming though.

BTW, what are the requirements for a High A park (seating capacity, dimensions, amenities, etc.)?
    Well, Bakersfield isn't as nice as many High School fields, so the standards can't be too high.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Turn Off Ads?