Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Phillips hurt- Torn thumb ligament, out ~6 Weeks

Re: Phillips hurt- Torn thumb ligament, out ~6 Weeks

Funny I just came here to post the two most realistic MI targets I could see for the Reds are Cabrera and Ramirez and I was beaten to the punch. Both are similar type players who can play both middle infield positions, are overpaid but don't have long term contracts.

While Id prefer the Reds to strike a deal with the Cubs, Rangers or Red Sox for one of the young major league ready prospects, one of these two would be a more realistic consolation prize. If their old teams picked up the salary difference, I wonder what it would cost the Reds to acquire them? Which one would people prefer?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    SMB is a good guy to shop. Frazier's going nowhere and Brean's got some CA league inflation going on.
    Not sure his CA numbers are all that different from what he's done in other leagues, but I agree with your logic re: shopping SMB. SMB and Moscot for Cabrera or Ramirez with the 2014 dollars staying neutral?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    AR is a much, much better fielder and Cabrera's equal offensively.
    I think that this is to acquire a 2B guy. Cabrera would be fine at 2B, and doesn't upset the Cozart Phillips Matrix.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Not sure his CA numbers are all that different from what he's done in other leagues, but I agree with your logic re: shopping SMB. SMB and Moscot for Cabrera or Ramirez with the 2014 dollars staying neutral?
    I'd do that in a heartbeat. Heck I'd toss in another third or fourth tier arm (Romano? Guillon?) but I think either team would want a first or at least second tier guy if they are tossing in cash.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Walt is most likely shopping for lightning in a bottle at the dollar store.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

The reality is that there isn't the huge drop off between Phillips' and Santiago's numbers this year that many assume. Obviously, Phillips is a little better hitter but truthfully, from a true talent standpoint, at this point he's maybe 10-15 runs better per 600 PAs. Santiago is kind of Phillips without the pop and he probably is Walt's answer for second.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The reality is that there isn't the huge drop off between Phillips' and Santiago's numbers this year that many assume. Obviously, Phillips is a little better hitter but truthfully, from a true talent standpoint, at this point he's maybe 10-15 runs better per 600 PAs. Santiago is kind of Phillips without the pop and he probably is Walt's answer for second.
    Agreed, and Santiago is a good defender, but there were two cheap hits last night where Santiago almost made the play. Gotta wonder if Phillips would have helped Leake out with an out or two. It would have stopped a run or two if so.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Brandon Phillips ‏@DatDudeBP 12m
    #YeaBuddy... Today is a good day! Got cleared to workout! Hand is getting better! #Beacon #D1 #GetRightOrGetLeft
    Progress! I guess they're predicting/hoping Phillips can be back late-August.

10. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Progress! I guess they're predicting/hoping Phillips can be back late-August.
    Yep, prepare for Walt's inevitable "With Brandon Phillips coming back healthy in August, it is similar to trading for a middle of the order bat. That is precisely why I did not make a trade!"

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...reds/13188425/

The same could be said for Brandon Phillips, who recently tweeted that he was cleared to work out in his recovery. That doesn't change much for Phillips, who underwent surgery to repair torn thumb ligaments on July 11.

"It's the same -- he's doing everything, but it's a torn thumb ligament, and from our doctors and surgeons, that's a six-week rehab," Price said. "It might be a little quicker, or it might take a little longer than that. That's a general number -- six weeks and we're not even remotely close to six weeks post-op."

I'll say this, I like the Reds a whole lot better when Brandon Phillips is playing. Things haven't looked right since he got taken out of the equation.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

14. Likes:

757690 (07-26-2014), Crumbley (07-27-2014)

There's no Walt only Zuul villain612's Avatar

I said it in the game thread at the time and I will repost.

The injury to Phillips was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Can't have 3 backup players in the lineup every night (plus Cozart) and expect to win.
    "The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers."

16. Likes:

757690 (07-26-2014), OGB (07-30-2014)

Phillips seems to be far more valuable to this team than his stats say he is.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I don't know if I buy that fully. This team is losing because they aren't getting on base enough. They haven't been that bad in cashing in runners during this bad stretch (since I last checked the numbers Saturday) they just haven't been getting on. Less than 8 baserunners per game ain't gonna cut it.

That's not exactly Phillips' strong suit. Frazier, Hamilton, Bruce, and to a lesser extent Rocco stopped hitting. That's basically it in a nutshell, IMO.
    numbersinthereds.blogspot.com I actually made a post on 7/24/14. I promise.

19. Likes:

tomnuetten (07-29-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Nah, it's just a coincidence, the offense is clearly the problem and Phillips is clearly not a good offensive player. How could inserting him in the lineup make much of a difference when he doesn't get on base, hit for average, or hit for power?

Turn Off Ads?