Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Phillips hurt- Torn thumb ligament, out ~6 Weeks

Re: Phillips hurt

I had a nasty fall last August and bent my thumb back the way Brandon did. 10 mos. later it still hurts. I was in a brace for 4 weeks. And nothing was torn or broken. Just strained.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bring up Soto. Play him to back up Pena and Frazier at the infield corners.

Use Schumaker more at second base. Santiago plays some second as well.

This stretches the outfield some because Schu plays more infield. If BP goes on DL also bring up outfielder.

I think you have to give Mesoraco a day off tomorrow because the Reds will want (need) him for all three games against the Pirates.

(1) If Peņa is able to catch:

Schumaker 2b
    Heisey cf
    Frazier 1b
    Bruce rf
    Ludwick lf
    Peņa c
    Cozart ss
    Santiago 3b
    Bailey p

(2) If Peņa is unable to catch:

Schumaker 2b
    Heisey cf
    Frazier 3b
    Bruce rf
    Ludwick lf
    Peņa 1b
    Cozart ss
    Barnhart c
    Bailey p
    Last edited by Big Klu; 07-10-2014 at 01:02 AM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

There's no Walt only Zuul villain612's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I think you have to give Mesoraco a day off tomorrow because the Reds will want (need) him for all three games against the Pirates.

(1) If Peņa is able to catch:

Schumaker 2b
    Heisey cf
    Frazier 1b
    Bruce rf
    Ludwick lf
    Peņa c
    Cozart ss
    Santiago 3b
    Bailey p

(2) If Peņa is unable to catch:

Schumaker 2b
    Heisey cf
    Frazier 3b
    Bruce rf
    Ludwick lf
    Peņa 1b
    Cozart ss
    Barnhart c
    Bailey p
    Hopefully it rains the next couple days.
    "The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers."

6. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (07-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    You know, this is the first time I have seen anyone mention such a thing. I'm so glad someone finally made this great point. My life is now complete.
    Are you saying I beat dead horses? Because I do not believe in cruelty to animals.

8. Likes:

CySeymour (07-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    This is nonsense, the whole sleepy-Walter thing. Was he asleep when he picked up Simon for nothing? Was he sleeping when he sold a pile of burning trash for Mat Latos? How about the Chapman signing? Was he drinking Nyquil before that?

People who want to criticize Walt for not improving the team are due for a nap themselves if you ask me. Very cranky.
    What has this team done in the playoffs? No one cares that our lineup can sweep the Cubs in 5 games. I care if this lineup can hit very good pitching in October, not July. It's already been proven that we can't.
    Last edited by Todd Gack; 07-10-2014 at 04:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And last year it was just a small wrist problem that lingered for 6 months.

He has a .308 OBP and a .392 SLG. That is barely hitting. And he's hitting cleanup, or now third since Votto is gone. In terms of how the Reds lineup should go based on the quality of hitters, without Votto in the lineup, he should bat sixth at best. He's a worse hitter than Hamilton, Frazier, Bruce, Mesoraco and Ludwick. Phillips hasn't really hit in 13 months. Bryan Price has been here for all of those months. Brandon Phillips is still hitting 3rd or 4th in the lineup. I don't know who is making the decision for where Phillips is hitting, but it's a bad decision regardless and poor performance doesn't seem to matter.
    I agree with this opinion. But it'd be nice if you actually held our savior to the same standard. Instead, we get to hear how awesome he is at taking walks so Bruce or Phillips can strikeout vs very good pitching.

11. Likes:

Crumbley (07-10-2014), jimbo (07-10-2014)

This is nonsense, the whole sleepy-Walter thing. Was he asleep when he picked up Simon for nothing? Was he sleeping when he sold a pile of burning trash for Mat Latos? How about the Chapman signing? Was he drinking Nyquil before that?

People who want to criticize Walt for not improving the team are due for a nap themselves if you ask me. Very cranky.
    If you read some of these posts with the words Reds and Walt Jocketty taken out you would swear they were about a team that hasn't made the post season 3 of the last 4 years.

Edited to add: maybe we should start an armchair GM thread so we can have everyone on record in one place for what they want to do or not do. A whole lot of people this off-season ripped on not resigning Choo. Even more people have called the Broxton contract one of the worst in recent history. I wasn't a forum member for most of the lost decade, but it appears many poster's memories are short lived.
    Last edited by OGB; 07-10-2014 at 06:21 AM.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

13. Likes:

bigredmechanism (07-11-2014), dwyerbrg (07-10-2014), Puffy (07-10-2014), PuffyPig (07-10-2014), Tom Servo (07-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    What has this team done in the playoffs? No one cares that our lineup can sweep the Cubs in 5 games. I care if this lineup can hit very good pitching in October, not July. It's already been proven that we can't.
    Reds with league's best record against teams currently at or above .500 with 29-23 record. -KC61

THIS team hasn't proven it can/cannot hit in the playoffs as the playoffs are still a few months away
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

15. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (07-10-2014), bounty37h (07-10-2014), Hoosier Red (07-10-2014), NebraskaRed (07-10-2014), OGB (07-10-2014), Puffy (07-10-2014), PuffyPig (07-10-2014), tomnuetten (07-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    Hopefully it rains the next couple days.

Nah, they can still beat the Cubs with one Votto tied behind their back.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

For the record, that part of my post was in jest. I think Walt has done a very good job in his time here and I don't really think he's constantly napping on the job or going to bed before the sun goes down in lieu of improving this team. I do wonder sometimes why, as an organization, they seem so loathe to make a roster move even if you're just talking about an internal one but that's more nit-picky than anything.

Sorry for the confusion there, I'll try to be more outrageous in poking fun next time.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

18. Likes:

bigredmechanism (07-11-2014), thatcoolguy_22 (07-10-2014)

In all seriousness, Walt is a pretty old guy, he probably does go to sleep early and wake up at 4 am to eat at Cracker Barrel and read the papers. This is how he learns about how other teams and players are doing as well, because it is the only way he knows how to find box scores.

I have personally seen him feeding ducks down by the river and complimenting young mothers on how adorable their babies are.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 07-10-2014 at 07:14 AM.

20. Likes:

Hoosier Red (07-10-2014), reds44 (07-10-2014), Sabo Fan (07-10-2014), Tom Servo (07-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Nah, they can still beat the Cubs with one Votto tied behind their back.
    Yeah.... but if we go into the Pirates series minus Votto, Phillips, and Hamilton, then don't we become the Cubs?

Yeah - we got far superior pitching - but lets hope Latos, Leake, and Cueto ... who are more then capable of doing so ..... pitch their butts off, because we're gonna need it. And our bench is also going to have to keep it up filling in.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-10-2014 at 07:29 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

22. Likes:

Hoosier Red (07-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Yeah.... but if we go into the Pirates series minus Votto, Phillips, and Hamilton, then don't we become the Cubs?
    You take that back!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    While this team is different than previous teams, in any event, a few playoff games proves nothing.

Sample size, blah blah....

Turn Off Ads?