Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Phillips hurt- Torn thumb ligament, out ~6 Weeks

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Phillips hurt

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    This is nonsense, the whole sleepy-Walter thing. Was he asleep when he picked up Simon for nothing? Was he sleeping when he sold a pile of burning trash for Mat Latos? How about the Chapman signing? Was he drinking Nyquil before that?

People who want to criticize Walt for not improving the team are due for a nap themselves if you ask me. Very cranky.
    I actually like this post...

But you have to admit the lack of depth in this organization and the roster construction is embarassing.

2. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (07-10-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    This is nonsense, the whole sleepy-Walter thing. Was he asleep when he picked up Simon for nothing? Was he sleeping when he sold a pile of burning trash for Mat Latos? How about the Chapman signing? Was he drinking Nyquil before that?

People who want to criticize Walt for not improving the team are due for a nap themselves if you ask me. Very cranky.
    Looking back at the Simon signing, if you want some entertainment, look at the board's reaction to the Reds sending Frazier down to start the season after he thought he had made it, just so they could claim Simon.

Maybe just maybe, the benefits from claiming Simon were worth the 60 or so extra days that Frazier had to spend in Louisville.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

5. Likes:

Crumbley (07-10-2014), reds44 (07-10-2014), Tony Cloninger (07-10-2014)

I have to think the best case for BP is he's out until the All-Star break. Hopefully Hamilton can get a day or two of rest and be back for some of the Pirates series.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

7. Likes:

Crumbley (07-10-2014)

There's no Walt only Zuul villain612's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    What has this team done in the playoffs? No one cares that our lineup can sweep the Cubs in 5 games. I care if this lineup can hit very good pitching in October, not July. It's already been proven that we can't.
    Eh...the playoffs are fickle.

Ask the A's or the Braves about it sometime.

For the most part, it's tough to hold a GM responsible for what happens over a 5 game span.
    162 games is much easier to judge.
    "That ball is FAIR! Cincinnati's ahead 2 games to none!" - the last World Series game played in Cincinnati

9. Likes:

Biff Pocoroba (07-10-2014), Big Klu (07-10-2014), GullyFoyle (07-10-2014), TOBTTReds (07-10-2014), WVRedsFan (07-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    Eh...the playoffs are fickle.

Ask the A's or the Braves about it sometime.

For the most part, it's tough to hold a GM responsible for what happens over a 5 game span.
    162 games is much easier to judge.
    This.

I have a facebook "friend" that constantly rags on "Dave DUMBrowski" because even though the Tigers win their division every single year they have not won the World Series. This opinion is actually shared among more Tigers fans than one would think, it's crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Is anyone else scared that the barely hitting Brandon Phillips decides to play hurt again for the rest of the season and becomes a shell of the guy he was earlier in the season, which this season would be downright brutal, but would still somehow find a way to hit 4th in the lineup?
    This sounds eerily similar to a Allen Craig.
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    This.

I have a facebook "friend" that constantly rags on "Dave DUMBrowski" because even though the Tigers win their division every single year they have not won the World Series. This opinion is actually shared among more Tigers fans than one would think, it's crazy.
    That I can understand as irrational ....even the best teams do not win it every year or sometimes just once or twice within a 5-10 year window. You just expect some playoff series wins eventually and a chance to win a WS.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I have to think the best case for BP is he's out until the All-Star break. Hopefully Hamilton can get a day or two of rest and be back for some of the Pirates series.
    The All Star break can't get here soon enough. We'll need those 4 days off for sure

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan View Post
    For the record, that part of my post was in jest. I think Walt has done a very good job in his time here and I don't really think he's constantly napping on the job or going to bed before the sun goes down in lieu of improving this team. I do wonder sometimes why, as an organization, they seem so loathe to make a roster move even if you're just talking about an internal one but that's more nit-picky than anything.
    For the most part, I don't think they fail to make moves due to fear of losing guys on the 40-man fringe. I think it's more about erring on the side of optimism, recovery-wise. If it's possible someone like Joey Votto will be unable to play only four or five days, they don't want to put him on the DL and lose him for fifteen. The better the player, the more they're willing to wait and see.

The downside of that is playing short on the bench, and when multiple guys are banged up it can become untenable.
    For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Its all fun and games to cut "chaff" off the 40 man roster until he shows up in another team's uniform and is successful. I'm still expecting suggestions to get Chris Coghlan in a deal.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The All Star break can't get here soon enough. We'll need those 4 days off for sure
    If by "we" you mean the Reds...I agree. If by "we" you mean Redszone....nope. I fully expect Redszone to become an out of control tire fire during those 4 days.
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

17. Likes:

Big Klu (07-10-2014), dubc47834 (07-10-2014), OGB (07-11-2014)

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan View Post
    For the record, that part of my post was in jest. I think Walt has done a very good job in his time here and I don't really think he's constantly napping on the job or going to bed before the sun goes down in lieu of improving this team. I do wonder sometimes why, as an organization, they seem so loathe to make a roster move even if you're just talking about an internal one but that's more nit-picky than anything.

Sorry for the confusion there, I'll try to be more outrageous in poking fun next time.
    Because a guy on the 40 man roster is there for a reason, and just because a fan is not privy as to why, assume there is purpose and not just throwing people on there willy nilly.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

There's no Walt only Zuul villain612's Avatar

Any updates on the injury?
    "That ball is FAIR! Cincinnati's ahead 2 games to none!" - the last World Series game played in Cincinnati

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    Any updates on the injury?
    He's not on the DL yet, so that's encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    I had a nasty fall last August and bent my thumb back the way Brandon did. 10 mos. later it still hurts. I was in a brace for 4 weeks. And nothing was torn or broken. Just strained.
    I had a similar injury in 1992 in high school ball-missed most of the rest of the season (tried to play one game when a college scout came to see me but couldn't even hold a bat or close my glove). In 2014 it still hurts-jams so easy, even trying to open a door handle if I grab it wrong.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

22. Likes:

powersackers (07-10-2014)

Turn Off Ads?