Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Stephenson at Futures Game

Stephenson at Futures Game

Keith Law, who has never been a Stephenson fan for whatever reason, gives him a glowing report for a change:

"• The best fastball of the day belonged to Cincinnati RHP Robert "Lighthouse" Stephenson, who touched 98 mph in his inning of work and sat at 94 to 96 mph, with a hard changeup at 88 and curveball at 82."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Stephenson at Futures Game

What's with "Lighthouse?"

4. Likes:

Chuckie (07-14-2014),Edd Roush (07-14-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Ha, I was wondering that myself. Never heard that one before.

Kind of like it better than "BobSteve" though.

"Poopface" is better than "Bob Steve"

7. Likes:

Gunner44 (07-14-2014),JayBruceFan (07-15-2014),reds44 (07-14-2014)

Bah. That's useless. Like saying..."Gee Billy Hamilton sure is fast." Thanks for the insight there Keith.

The question with Stephenson isn't about his fastball. Everybody knows it's going to be a super plus pitch. The question about Stephenson is when will he really command an off speed pitch and how many off speed pitches will he learn to command.
    Last edited by dfs; 07-14-2014 at 11:43 AM.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Its apparently a fairly obscure reference to a Robert Stevenson who was a lighthouse designer. He was also the grandfather of poet/writer Robert Louis Stevenson. I believe Law was just trying to show how smart he is or thinks he is by saying that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_...ivil_engineer)
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The question with Stephenson isn't about his fastball. Everybody knows it's going to be a super plus pitch. The question about Stephenson is when will he really command an off speed pitch and how many off speed pitches will he learn to command.
    He threw one changeup yesterday that was really, really good. Probably would have been called a strike, but hitter fanned badly on it anyway.

He's got the makings of plus offspeed pitches. You're right -- being able to throw them for strikes and command the fastball are what he needs to do.

I would rip on Stephenson, but is similar to the reason I have been calling him The Engineer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Stephenson

This guy was a railway engineer, so I am also on board with The Locomotive

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Its apparently a fairly obscure reference to a Robert Stevenson who was a lighthouse designer. He was also the grandfather of poet/writer Robert Louis Stevenson. I believe Law was just trying to show how smart he is or thinks he is by saying that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_...ivil_engineer)
    I should have known it had something to do with Keith Law being a dbag and it really wasn't Stephenson's nickname.

I think Stevenson is going to hold the franchise record for most bad/forced nicknames...
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (07-17-2014),Steve4192 (07-17-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    I should have known it had something to do with Keith Law being a dbag and it really wasn't Stephenson's nickname.
    If Keith Law could clone himself he would... Just so he could ridicule his clone for not being as intellectually adept as he is.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

16. Likes:

REDREAD (07-22-2014)

Turn Off Ads?