Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Baseball America's Reds Updated Top 10

Re: Baseball America's Reds Updated Top 10

If any of you have an ESPN Insider membership could you go to this link and let me know who prospects #39, 41 and 46 are? Thanks!

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story...-mlb-prospects

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ok - we took out his worst month out of the equation -- let's take out his best month ...what are his numbers after doing such a thing? Just curious.

4. Likes:

Benihana (07-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What would be something you want to see, in numbers from him? And remember, he plays in a ballpark that just crushes power to right field, where he hits the ball far more often than he pulls it.
    I'd like to see him improve on his K:BB rate. Through most of his career it's been 4:1 or worse. I'd like to see that closer to 2:1 or better.
    Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

If they thought Y-Rod was a centerfielder and could play one full time in the majors -why would they let Ryan LaMarre stand in his way? LaMarre is looking at a career as a 5th Ofer. If Yorman could really be stretched into full time duty as a CFer then you have to move the LaMarre's of this world out of his way. I don't think Y-Rod projects to be a centerfielder.

7. Likes:

Benihana (07-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    If they thought Y-Rod was a centerfielder and could play one full time in the majors -why would they let Ryan LaMarre stand in his way? LaMarre is looking at a career as a 5th Ofer. If Yorman could really be stretched into full time duty as a CFer then you have to move the LaMarre's of this world out of his way. I don't think Y-Rod projects to be a centerfielder.
    Because they see LaMarre differently than you do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Ok - we took out his worst month out of the equation -- let's take out his best month ...what are his numbers after doing such a thing? Just curious.
    I didn't take out his worst month just for S's and G's. I took it out because he was clearly still recovering from his injury and it has nothing to do with how he will perform moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I'd like to see him improve on his K:BB rate. Through most of his career it's been 4:1 or worse. I'd like to see that closer to 2:1 or better.
    Yeah, that's been a weakness in his game, though it's been marginally improving this season, sans of course May. I do think it will improve with time. Probably not to 2:1 or better, but he understands the strikezone for the most part. I think he will settle in at a rate better than 3:1 though in the long run.

Because they see LaMarre differently than you do.
    Yes, a guy who turns 26 in a couple months with a career OPS below .600 in AAA is a HUGE part of the future!
    Go BLUE!!!

Yeah, that's been a weakness in his game, though it's been marginally improving this season, sans of course May. I do think it will improve with time. Probably not to 2:1 or better, but he understands the strikezone for the most part. I think he will settle in at a rate better than 3:1 though in the long run.
    Right now he's around 3.5:1. To me, this is the single best (although not the only) predictor of success in the major leagues. A good K:BB rate shows a few things. It shows strikezone awareness (as you mentioned). It shows pitch recognition (picking up a fastball vs. breaking ball vs. change up). It shows prediction of the path of the ball, and a willingness to be aggressive on pitches in the strikezone. All things that lead to solid production at the plate.

I have not watched YRod, so I don't really have a well-formed opinion on him. From looking at his stats, I think he's got a chance to be good, but he really does need to start putting it all together or other players (like Ervin) are going to pass him by soon.
    Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

We will see how it all works out. I feel like I've said just about everything I can possibly say about how I feel about Yorman Rodriguez at this point.

13. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (07-21-2014)

We will see how it all works out. I feel like I've said just about everything I can possibly say about how I feel about Yorman Rodriguez at this point.
    Kind of reminds me of your comments a few years ago on Homer Bailey.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Turn Off Ads?