Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: I say... Sell at the deadline.

Re: I say... Sell at the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    No way they will pay Bailey.
    Minor tweak, but I'm pretty sure it was Bailey hates to play in Cincinnati and would never sign an extension.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    That's a really big assumption on your part. McKinney is a year out of HS, and playing in High-A, the A's were being very aggressive with him, and he struggled at level too high for him.

Besides that, one year after the draft is way too early to label anyone a backup, let alone someone just out of HS.
    Maybe you're right and he does turn out be more than a backup. I noticed that you didn't say anything about him not being on any top 100 prospects lists.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Maybe you're right and he does turn out be more than a backup. I noticed that you didn't say anything about him not being on any top 100 prospects lists.
    I'm not even saying you're wrong about him long-term. Just that he's a year removed from HS playing High-A ball. He was pushed very aggressively, and him struggling isn't the biggest shock.

He still has time to turn it around.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I really wish I had access to the Reds payroll limitations that so many around here seem to have.

Won't be a player for Chapman.
    Can't keep Votto.
    Well now definitely can't keep BP.
    No way they can sign multiple SP.

Fans have really figured it out.
    I just wish I had access to the Redszone Crystal Ball that so many here seem to consult with daily.

Maybe I don't have enough posts? Or haven't been invited to the inner sanctum?

I really wish I had access to the Reds payroll limitations that so many around here seem to have.

Won't be a player for Chapman.
    Can't keep Votto.
    Well now definitely can't keep BP.
    No way they can sign multiple SP.

Fans have really figured it out.
    Maybe they shouldn't have done those signings.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

With Cueto, Latos, Simon, Bailey, Broxton, Chapman this team can win in October. I think it would be a big mistake to not even try to acquire someone to help for the next 6 weeks or so until BP and Votto get back.

This team has bounced back all season when people said they were done or not even that good to begin with. To bail on them now seems a bit insane to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Is this supposed to be a comedy thread?

A) Not one, but two Esteban Loiaza trades get listed.

B) The Schilling and Rolen trades are two of the biggest star-talent-for-a-bunch-of-meh deals in baseball history. The D-Backs won a World Series the next season and the Cardinals became the best team in the NL in the mid-2000s (and won a World Series in 2006).

C) The Reds, when they can field most of the team, have played the best baseball in the NL this season. No way the Reds are selling.
    Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    1.5 back in the division race.

One of the best pitching staffs in baseball.

Team is playing .651 ball since May 30th.

Thanks for adding to the comedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Hey. We're contenders. What the hell do we want to sell for? This club is pretty much built.

We want the world and we want it..... now.

Reds in 2014.

Sometimes you have to read between the lines. The team was being carried by a few players that were playing above their head. That can work for a short period of time, but the law of averages always kicks in at some point. Optimism is a great thing, unless it makes you blind. To say my thread was comedy was pretty foolish. This is somewhat of, I told you so, but I think I earned it. When the team was healthy, I think it was worth trying to fight their way into the playoffs. After the injuries hit, that pretty much put a end to the season.

To assume that the 2015 will be 100% health is a huge gamble. A gamble that I am not all that interested in taking. Even if they are healthy, I am not sure that they have enough. I would be willing to give up some 2015 pieces to ensure the window stays open for several more years. They have some chips that will never be more valuable. Cash them in while they are still worth something.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Can we sell off Hoover? Please? Shane Graham this guy. Poof! Be gone!
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

9. Likes:

bigredmechanism (07-30-2014), HokieRed (07-29-2014), Rojo (07-30-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I love Cueto and if the Reds can sign him to a 3 or 4 year extension I'd do it in a second. Any more and it's too big of a risk
    I think he's less risky than Latos and neither is going to sign for that. If you want to see risky, try fielding a competitive 2016 team without either of those 2.

There's no Walt only Zuul villain612's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post

Sometimes you have to read between the lines. The team was being carried by a few players that were playing above their head. That can work for a short period of time, but the law of averages always kicks in at some point. Optimism is a great thing, unless it makes you blind. To say my thread was comedy was pretty foolish. This is somewhat of, I told you so, but I think I earned it. When the team was healthy, I think it was worth trying to fight their way into the playoffs. After the injuries hit, that pretty much put a end to the season.

To assume that the 2015 will be 100% health is a huge gamble. A gamble that I am not all that interested in taking. Even if they are healthy, I am not sure that they have enough. I would be willing to give up some 2015 pieces to ensure the window stays open for several more years. They have some chips that will never be more valuable. Cash them in while they are still worth something.
    When your team is 1.5 games out on July 18th, considering to "sell" at the deadline is always a facepalm worthy move.

You're not magically vindicated.

No one predicted playoffs or a division title or anything really. You were mocked for wanting to sell when they were in the thick of it. As you should've been. When's the last time they lost 7 games in a row? 5 years ago?
    "That ball is FAIR! Cincinnati's ahead 2 games to none!" - the last World Series game played in Cincinnati

12. Likes:

marcshoe (07-30-2014)

Speaking of selling at the deadline...if we offer to sell playoff tickets for the Brewers, Cards and Bucs do you think we could make enough commission to upgrade a fifth OF spot?

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    JJ Hoover the win remover.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

There's no Walt only Zuul villain612's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post

I could sell Satan juice to a nun faster than we could sell Hoover to anyone.
    "That ball is FAIR! Cincinnati's ahead 2 games to none!" - the last World Series game played in Cincinnati

I just can't get on board with selling at this point. The Reds are 4 games back in the loss column for the division and both wild card spots. Yes there are injuries, but the 2B (Santiago) and 1B (Pena) have been fairly productive. They definitely need to add a bat. Preferably an OF who can hit somewhere between 2nd and 5th in the order, but the production lost at 2B has been way overstated (Santiago has outhit Phillips and has hit better than he did in 2013 or the latter portion of 2012). Defensively, Phillips is a little better (and a lot more entertaining), but the impact on the standings based on the difference between the two would be negligible IMO. They miss Votto, but Pena has been OK and is actually a big improvement defensively. Get an OF bat to plug in to replace some of Votto's production and I think the team still has a shot.

If we want to hedge our bets and limit our targets to guys who can help in 2015 as well, I'm on board. But, if the team really wants to go for it in 2015, there is little to sell. Broxton and Ludwick won't bring much back talentwise, and if moving money is the goal, that can be accomplished in late August after we see how things go. I get the argument for dealing one of the starters to add young cheap production, but whoever they deal would need to be replaced. I'd wait until the winter to see how things progress in signing these guys. They can always deal off a starter while dealing for a replacement in the off-season as well.

The Reds have three or four guys who look to be really good prospects. Beyond them, there are 30 to 40 guys who are interesting to various levels but none are untouchable and dealing a couple for some immediate (and hopefully future) help won't wreck the system. This team should be buying. They should just make three or four top prospects off-limits unless it's an organization changing deal and should avoid 2 month rentals unless they can get it for roster clutter and chaff.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

17. Likes:

HokieRed (07-30-2014), Old school 1983 (07-30-2014)

When your team is 1.5 games out on July 18th, considering to "sell" at the deadline is always a facepalm worthy move.

You're not magically vindicated.

No one predicted playoffs or a division title or anything really. You were mocked for wanting to sell when they were in the thick of it. As you should've been. When's the last time they lost 7 games in a row? 5 years ago?
    How is that the case? The team blew a tire, and I was saying sell off pieces instead of unloading prospects for a team that was going no where fast. I wasn't trying magic. I was looking at reality.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

5 games out.

Don't sell.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Turn Off Ads?