Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: I say... Sell at the deadline.

Re: I say... Sell at the deadline.

And street is in Anaheim. And samardjia is in Oakland. You don't have to wait. And a few weeks may be very important to this team. The apologies for Walts inactions every July start to get old frankly.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    And street is in Anaheim. And samardjia is in Oakland. You don't have to wait. And a few weeks may be very important to this team. The apologies for Walts inactions every July start to get old frankly.
    The Reds didn't need a starter or a closer either.

I would be way more antsy if hitters had already started being traded, but they haven't, not yet. The teams with hitters to trade, aren't pulling the triggers yet. So, getting worked up and blaming Jocketty, when no one else has landed a bat yet, seems unnecessary.

For the record, people banging drums about Walt napping for not acquiring a hitter in April, or earlier, when no one else has gotten a hitter either, gets old too.

You're not alone in that, and if teams were trading bats left and right, and the Reds did nothing, I would be aggravated too.

I say... Sell at the deadline.

I wasn't saying they should have acquired those two, as you are smart enough to know. I was saying, they are examples of not waiting.

But, yeah, walt is a July trading genius. Give me a break. So many apologies for crap and nothing moves when there are moves to be made for pieces this team desperately needs.

Enjoy your Walt apologist party.
    Last edited by membengal; 07-20-2014 at 11:35 AM. Reason: typo
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

5. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (07-21-2014)

I wasn't saying they should have acquired those two, as you are smart enough to know. I was saying, they are examples of not waiting.

But, yeah, walt is a July trading genius. Give me a break. So many apologies for crap and nothing moves when there are moves to be made for pieces this team desperately needs.

Enjoy your Walt apologist party.

You can call it what you want, but the teams aren't selling off their bats yet. They might move them soon, some of the better one last year changed places in August.

None of they other trade geniuses have acquired a bat either yet.

And how many other teams have as gaping a need for a bat as this team does? Yay, apologies!

Maybe Walt doesn't think this team is a serious contender, maybe he has no money to make a move, maybe he has nothing other teams wants. It's easy to say Walt is asleep at the wheel but we don't know the true story.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

That's true! Walt's savvy! If he does nothing, savvy! If he does something, savvy! He can't lose!

If the Mariners were arrested on domestic violence charges, the case would be thrown out of court because there is no way the prosecutor could ever convince a judge that the Ms could hit anyone. And they are buyers.

Deeply flawed teams have a chance at the playoffs. When healthy, the Reds' farts don't stink as bad as some others' in the race. Then there is next year too.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

And how many other teams have as gaping a need for a bat as this team does? Yay, apologies!
    I read on MLBTR every day how many teams sre trying to do this, and need to do that.

Baltimore and Toronto have said since the offseason that they wanted to upgrade at 2B.

Seattle could be desperate right now with the Angels and Oakland making moves.

What about the Cardinals? They have watched part of their rotation drop like flies, but haven's acquired one of the three starters to be traded.

I know, you don't really care what other teams do, or that the sellers don't want to be sellers yet, you just enjoy complaining, and saying people that would rather wit for something to complain about are just apologists.

You're better than that.

12. Likes:

gilpdawg (07-22-2014),jimbo (07-20-2014)

I say... Sell at the deadline.

And I am tired of having Walt defenders forever rally to combat every time someone notes that his traditional continued inaction might be ill-advised. Then I remember, Walt can literally do no wrong for some of you. Awesome. Have at it.

Inaction is savvy. Expressing frustration with that is not allowed. Got it. Well done, pepper, you can get high fives at your next Walt defenders meeting.
    Last edited by membengal; 07-20-2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: typo

Overall l like Walt but I cannot excuse him for not getting a player like Byrd last season. Waiting turned out to be the wrong move. I hope he is seriously trying to acquire a bat. Waiting is the wrong move. Pena, Santiago, Heisey, Barnhart, Schumaker - none of them are going to fill the gaps for an extended time.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

15. Likes:

membengal (07-20-2014),Old school 1983 (07-21-2014)

And I am tired of having Walt defenders forever rally to combat every time someone notes that his traditional continued inaction might be ill-advised. Then I remember, Walt can literally do no wrong for some of you. Awesome. Have at it.

Inaction is savvy. Expressing frustration with that is not allowed. Got it. Well done, pepper, you can get high fives at your next Walt defenders meeting.
    I would like to have seen a trade too mem, I really would.

But, I can look around a see that there has not been one significant bat traded yet. I would be much more aggravated if other teams were trading for Zobrist/Willingham/Morneau/Valbuena, whoever, and the Reds just humped their shoulders and said " oh well", but that hasn't happened yet.

You are well entitled to get upset, and blame Walt for not doing what no one else has yet either, and that's okay. But because I don't want to get upset, or just claim Walt is asleep at the wheel, you want to say the other side is just making excuses for him.
    Last edited by PepperJack; 07-20-2014 at 01:19 PM.

Lots of teams want bats. The market for pitchers isn't as good. This is one of the worst seasons for Walt to be looking for impact bats that don't cost much or require long commitments.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

18. Likes:

dwyerbrg (07-21-2014),villain612 (07-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Lots of teams want bats. The market for pitchers isn't as good. This is one of the worst seasons for Walt to be looking for impact bats that don't cost much or require long commitments.
    This.

Offense is at a premium right now. Every team in contention wants a bat.

That's why the sellers have more leverage than usual on a deal. And why ultimately, anyone who adds a bat is going to overpay for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

Perhaps he didn't have the money to get Byrd.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Turn Off Ads?