Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: I say... Sell at the deadline.

Re: I say... Sell at the deadline.

I don't see this team as a legit contender so if there is a trade that helps the future and or provides salary relief for the future I think they should do it.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Yes for 2012, but Pence wasn't there for the 2010 WS win.
    Oh yeah...I forgot about that one.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

So Walt told Sheldon he'd like to get a bat, and he's got a team of guys on the road with him, but no one interests him.

I just don't know what to say. Obviously he's financially handcuffed. There is no other logical explaination.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    So Walt told Sheldon he'd like to get a bat, and he's got a team of guys on the road with him, but no one interests him.

I just don't know what to say. Obviously he's financially handcuffed. There is no other logical explaination.
    The Bailey contract is really coming back to hurt them right now.

I say... Sell at the deadline.

Doesn't the money spent on the Cuban pitcher kinda make that excuse less than compelling?

Plenty of bats out there that would help that are not a financial burden for a team that has money for a Cuban pitching prospect.
    Last edited by membengal; 07-20-2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: clarity
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Bailey's contract has zero effect on the Reds ability to make moves this season.

8. Likes:

Old school 1983 (07-21-2014),villain612 (07-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    Bailey's contract has zero effect on the Reds ability to make moves this season.
    Well he definitely isn't pitching to his contract value this year. They were counting on getting a lot more out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    I don't know about that, but there is definitely something odd going on. One of the best mid to late season GM's I've ever seen has decided that no trades interest him, almost as if he's got an allergy or something.

He's been dormant for well over a year now. Besides signing a couple of his own players, he's done absolutely nothing.

There has to be a reason for it. He isnt doing it just because.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Doesn't the money spent on the Cuban pitcher kinda make that excuse less than compelling?

Plenty of bats out there that would help that are not a financial burden for a team that has money for a Cuban pitching prospect.
    Excellent point.

I don't think he's lazy, or Dan O'brien level stupid. So what do you think it is? I'm drawing blanks.

If we could unload one of our 3 MegaContracts I would....

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    If we could unload one of our 3 MegaContracts I would....
    It's going to be pretty hard to get rid of Votto or Phillips with both hurt, so trade Bailey to Texas for...? Choo? Rios has a big number for this year but how many years are left on his contract? Don't the Rangers have a really good prospect in the minors?

Excellent point.

I don't think he's lazy, or Dan O'brien level stupid. So what do you think it is? I'm drawing blanks.
    Yeah, I got nothing. I do know I just watched them put torches to a 3-game series due in no small part to the same gaping need for a bat that has been there all year, and certainly since Votto and Phillips got re-hurt/hurt, and...nothing. No reason to wait until July 31, can make a deal at any point, and they don't. Either they won't pay the prospect price, or...I dunno. But it was the same thing last year, it hurt them then to sit it out, and it is already hurting them now to wait. Really frustrating.

The teams that are in sell mode would be foolish to trade away talent now unless it's a major overpay.

I don't know about that, but there is definitely something odd going on. One of the best mid to late season GM's I've ever seen has decided that no trades interest him, almost as if he's got an allergy or something.

He's been dormant for well over a year now. Besides signing a couple of his own players, he's done absolutely nothing.

There has to be a reason for it. He isnt doing it just because.
    I would guess so far every team is demanding Stephenson and/or Winker and he's not ready to trade them.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Yeah, I got nothing. I do know I just watched them put torches to a 3-game series due in no small part to the same gaping need for a bat that has been there all year, and certainly since Votto and Phillips got re-hurt/hurt, and...nothing. No reason to wait until July 31, can make a deal at any point, and they don't. Either they won't pay the prospect price, or...I dunno. But it was the same thing last year, it hurt them then to sit it out, and it is already hurting them now to wait. Really frustrating.
    It's pretty straightforward in my mind.

If you are too financially strapped to make a deal and it's that much of a sellers market then you sell.

You are either a buyer or a seller but you have to do something.

If he just does nothing and punts a season again then he can go away. I don't care what he did in the past, he inherited a club with the talent to win a championship, he made great trade for Latos but the unwillingness to engage and fill glaring holes the past two years is unacceptable and outweighs the Latos trade IMO.

18. Likes:

membengal (07-20-2014),wheels (07-20-2014)

Turn Off Ads?