Turn Off Ads?

Thread: How about trade for Byrd take flyer on Uggla?

How about trade for Byrd take flyer on Uggla?

Given the state of this team this year, on the field, with injuries, and current/future payroll, I'd still like to do something here since we are close enough to Wild Card, but not something way over the top.

What about trade for Byrd and pick up Uggla on a flyer? Put Byrd in LF, send Ludwick to bench player/2 days a week starts, put Uggla at 2b until BP is back 5 days a week and either Negron or Schumaker the other 2 days.

Byrd has the 8 mil per yr thing, but seems like we could afford that this year, then let Ludwick walk next yr, and deal with 2016 when that time comes, to share time with Winker or Byrd becomes bench player.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How about trade for Byrd take flyer on Uggla?

Negron is better than Uggla

Gotta agree with Storer - Uggla is horrible defensively and hasn't hit in going on 3 years. Byrd yes but leave Uggla out.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by Redsville View Post
    Given the state of this team this year, on the field, with injuries, and current/future payroll, I'd still like to do something here since we are close enough to Wild Card, but not something way over the top.

What about trade for Byrd and pick up Uggla on a flyer? Put Byrd in LF, send Ludwick to bench player/2 days a week starts, put Uggla at 2b until BP is back 5 days a week and either Negron or Schumaker the other 2 days.

Byrd has the 8 mil per yr thing, but seems like we could afford that this year, then let Ludwick walk next yr, and deal with 2016 when that time comes, to share time with Winker or Byrd becomes bench player.
    I'm not adamantly opposed to either idea but I also don't have much hope in either. As far as Uggla goes I don't see much that leads me to believe he'd be better than letting Santiago (now that he's started hitting) and Schu (also hitting a bit better it seems anyway) to share the position until BP gets back.

Byrd inspires more confidence in terms of performance, but the issue isn't just the prorated $3M+ for this year. It's the cost of acquisition, the $8M next year and the possibility of another $8M vesting for 2016. And if the Reds let Ludwick walk this year per your plan , there's a $4.5M buyout to him (on top of the $8M to Byrd). All in all, we're probably better off just taking our chances with Ludwick for the rest of this year and then re-evaluating in the off-season. Don't forget that Ludwick is actually about a year younger than Byrd and came on pretty strong down the stretch 2 years ago.
    Last edited by Redeyecat; 07-21-2014 at 12:29 AM.

Well, Uggla is off to the Giants, so half this plan is already out the door....

Stat geek...and proud

How about Casey McGhee? Probably not cost much, and gets on base well.

I had not heard that the Marlins are looking to move McGhee. He's only making 1mil and has been one of their best hitters. Unless they plan to blow up the roster, I doubt they will move him. Marlon Byrd would be a nice addition...but at what cost?

Quote Originally Posted by storer50 View Post
    Negron is better than Uggla
    I am better than Uglla.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

2 inexpensive options that help this team, Byrd and McGehee Byrd solves problem in left period, McGehee can hit and plays 1st, 2nd, and 3rd what a predicament to have when/if Votto/BP come back
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    I am better than Uglla.
    No you aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No you aren't.
    yea theres no way he is...I am though

Byrd is anything but inexpensive.

He was inexpensive last year.

But he's due $8 mil next year, and apparently wanted his $8 mil option for 2016 picked up with any trade

Turn Off Ads?