Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Jay Bruce

Re: Let's talk about Jay Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    I mean I understand the HR's have been pretty good in 2011, 2012, 2013... but those averages; those are nothing special. In fact they're pretty pedestrian. Playing in a bandbox like we do; it isn't like he's ever hit 40+ home runs which is really what I would have hoped. Either a sub .300 guy with about the power Bruce had those years or .270 + with 40+ homers and similar or a little better RBI totals. He's constantly left people wanting more.
    Over the course of those three seasons, eight different players hit 40+ home runs. A decade earlier (2003), ten players hit 40+ home runs in one season alone. It isn't as common as it used to be.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Over the course of those three seasons, eight different players hit 40+ home runs. A decade earlier (2003), ten players hit 40+ home runs in one season alone. It isn't as common as it used to be.
    Context.. the great leveler

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Context.. the great leveler
    Context only matters if you care about it. It's been painfully obvious Ghosts of 1990 hasn't cared about context with Jay Bruce since he thought he was going to be what Mike Trout is.

5. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (07-25-2014), JayBruceFan (07-22-2014), Tom Servo (07-23-2014), villain612 (07-23-2014)

There's no Walt only Zuul villain612's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Context only matters if you care about it. It's been painfully obvious Ghosts of 1990 hasn't cared about context with Jay Bruce since he thought he was going to be what Mike Trout is.
    Ghosts of 1990 also needs a new avatar
    "That ball is FAIR! Cincinnati's ahead 2 games to none!" - the last World Series game played in Cincinnati

I'm usually wrong, and. I hope I am now, but at this point, I see a lot more Ben Grieve in Jay Bruce, than I see Ken Griffey jr.

I see a guy who never figured out how to lay off a offspeed pitch, and has gotten by on punishing mistakes. And now, the league has figured that out, and gotten better at pitching overall as well. I don't see him being able to adjust back.

I hate to say it, but I don't see him rebounding this time. I hope I'm wrong.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

8. Likes:

Red Raindog (07-24-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I'm usually wrong, and. I hope I am now, but at this point, I see a lot more Ben Grieve in Jay Bruce, than I see Ken Griffey jr.

I see a guy who never figured out how to lay off a offspeed pitch, and has gotten by on punishing mistakes. And now, the league has figured that out, and gotten better at pitching overall as well. I don't see him being able to adjust back.

I doubt that mlb pitchers needed 6 years until they figured him out. he has a terrible year, no doubt about that... but I donīt think that this is the way heīll produce in the future...
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by tomnuetten View Post
    I doubt that mlb pitchers needed 6 years until they figured him out. he has a terrible year, no doubt about that... but I donīt think that this is the way heīll produce in the future...
    I think it's also that pitchers are better, throw harder, have more plus pitches, and have better defensive positioning behind them. I hope you're right
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I don't care what he's said about it, I think the knee has been a big factor in the drop-off.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

same here -- I hate it but truth is I think I'm over Bruce -- not that there are better options presently
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

13. Likes:

Ghosts of 1990 (07-27-2014)

There's no Walt only Zuul villain612's Avatar

I wonder how much the shift is getting in Jay's head.
    "That ball is FAIR! Cincinnati's ahead 2 games to none!" - the last World Series game played in Cincinnati

I think 337 PA's this year have been bad and well.... that just tells me that.

I would put Bruce under the microscope for the remainder of this year. If he doesn't improve, I would definitely be looking at options over the winter.

Let's talk about Jay Bruce

Jay Bruce will be starting in the Reds OF next year.

Write it down

18. Likes:

Brutus (07-29-2014), pahster (07-25-2014), Tom Servo (07-25-2014), villain612 (07-25-2014)

I don't think I really understand the people who are ready to write Bruce off.

Four straight seasons of .800+ OPS.

Then less than four months into this season, in which he had knee surgery, and could still make a some ground back up, people think he's washed up?

Seriously?

If you want off the Bruce train, my guess is you were never really on with both feet to begin with.

20. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (07-25-2014), pahster (07-25-2014), Tom Servo (07-25-2014)

My take on Jay Bruce is that at the beginning of the season he was more patient than he has ever been. He wasn't chasing pitches and while the hits were not falling in and the average and power were low he was still getting on base more than normal for the Jay Bruce that wasn't hitting. Then the knee injury came along. He came back and he went through a little stretch where he was hitting again and hitting for power. After that Votto and Phillips went out and Bruce has let the pressure get to him. As a result Jay is no longer patient and laying off the breaking balls he did early in the season. He is pressing way too much and as a result looks lost as ever.

A Jay Bruce who can take a walk and not chase bad pitches is an MVP candidate for me. Start of the season I honestly thought we had a chance to see that Bruce but after his injury and then the injuries to the other star players and I think Bruce is a mental mess right now. I think Price sees it and that is why he gave him a day the first game in Milwaukee even though it was a big game. I wouldn't be shocked if he turns it around real soon and I wouldn't be shocked if he struggles all year.

I'm hopeful that next season with everyone healthy he'll get off to a great start and not look back.

22. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (07-25-2014), Tom Servo (07-25-2014)

Turn Off Ads?