Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Culture Change?

Culture Change?

Price promised a change in the culture of the club. They're supposed to be more focused, more intense, and better fundamentally this year.

Clearly the Yankee series showed the same sloppy play and attitude as last year. It definitely has reared it's head many other times this season.

Anyone worried about this? If so, what to do? It seems changing managers didn't help.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Culture Change?

They could very easily make the playoffs for the 4th time in 5 years despite half the team being dead.

I like me some of that culture.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-22-2014), Gapper (07-22-2014), kbrake (07-22-2014), pahster (07-21-2014), Redeyecat (07-21-2014), wolfboy (07-22-2014)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

At the end of the day, it's up to the players to buy into this change. Price can hold them accountable, and maybe he has been, but the choice to change in on the players.
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

6. Likes:

DocRed (07-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Price promised a change in the culture of the club. They're supposed to be more focused, more intense, and better fundamentally this year.

Clearly the Yankee series showed the same sloppy play and attitude as last year. It definitely has reared it's head many other times this season.

Anyone worried about this? If so, what to do? It seems changing managers didn't help.
    Sloppy? Defensively most of the year the Reds have been #1 in the majors.

Now that isn't quite the case at the plate where guys can't get bunts down, can't sacrifice guys over, can't sacrifice guys in from third, can't hit behind the runner...the list goes on and on. The batting coach just can't let this kind of stuff happen all the time. I do also question some of Prices tactics, like not sacrificing a guy over to third with no outs when he has a pitching staff that can win those one run games. It seems he is always playing for the hopes of a big inning instead of just worrying about getting on the scoreboard.

He's a rookie Manager...I guess that is sometimes what you get.

Anyone that expected a managerial change to cure all of this team's ills was kidding themselves. There's only so much a manager or coach can do. The burden is on the players to make that change.

That being said, I really don't view this as a sloppy team. Not defensively at least. The Yankees series was an anomaly for this team defensively. Baserunning is the fundamental issue that challenges this team the most.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-22-2014), dfs (07-22-2014), joshua (07-21-2014), Redeyecat (07-21-2014)

I agree that the defense has been excellent, not sloppy at all. Every team makes some mistakes but the Reds have been better than everyone else.

I disagree about the sacrificing and small tactics. The Reds make enough outs already, no need to make them on purpose. The Reds' problem is not that they don't advance runners adequately, the problem is they don't get enough runners on base in the first place.

11. Likes:

dougdirt (07-21-2014), Driver62 (07-22-2014), HokieRed (07-21-2014), reds1869 (07-21-2014)

The sloppy defense is probably the result of guys playing out of position due to injuries.

The culture of the team is fine. They play hard, they care.

The issues are injury, talent on offense, not enough good relievers.

You can't win baseball games on culture without having all the necessary personnel.

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-22-2014), AtomicDumpling (07-21-2014), Crumbley (07-21-2014), Mitri (07-22-2014), Norm Chortleton (07-21-2014), Number_Fourteen (07-22-2014), Old school 1983 (07-21-2014), Red Raindog (07-22-2014), Redeyecat (07-21-2014), _Sir_Charles_ (07-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I agree that the defense has been excellent, not sloppy at all. Every team makes some mistakes but the Reds have been better than everyone else.

I disagree about the sacrificing and small tactics. The Reds make enough outs already, no need to make them on purpose. The Reds' problem is not that they don't advance runners adequately, the problem is they don't get enough runners on base in the first place.
    That's just it, if you aren't getting guys on regularly, then you need to take advantage of them when they are, and do everything you can to get them into scoring position. I'd like to see where the Reds stack up percent wise with the rest of the league, on getting a guy in from second with no outs, or in from third with less than two outs. I'd bet they are pretty much at the bottom. That's poor coaching and managing.

I think 29 other teams would like the sloppy defence the reds had this year...

baserunning blunders are a different story. way to much cs, pickoff plays or bad running on contact with runners at third. Being aggressive on the basepaths is good and they are pretty good (at least some players) at getting an extrabase on hits etc. but some players should stop basestealing at all and I donīt want to see another running on contact play with less than 2 outs with players like ludwick, pena, phillips, votto ....

beside those "blunders" I like what the players/Price did so far
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

16. Likes:

Redeyecat (07-21-2014)

Did someone say Culture Club?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    That's just it, if you aren't getting guys on regularly, then you need to take advantage of them when they are, and do everything you can to get them into scoring position. I'd like to see where the Reds stack up percent wise with the rest of the league, on getting a guy in from second with no outs, or in from third with less than two outs. I'd bet they are pretty much at the bottom. That's poor coaching and managing.
    Actually, giving up an out to move a guy a base decreases the chances of scoring in more cases than it increases it and it always decreases the chances of scoring more than one run.

Bunting a runner over is a poor move 90% of the time.

19. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (07-21-2014), Redeyecat (07-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Actually, giving up an out to move a guy a base decreases the chances of scoring in more cases than it increases it and it always decreases the chances of scoring more than one run.

Bunting a runner over is a poor move 90% of the time.
    With the fact that Votto might be the only guy that can guide his hits, I'll take a bunt any day. This Reds team, with this pitching staff, wins games if they play small ball and at least put some runs on the scoreboard. Ask Cueto how much a few extra runs would mean to his win loss record.

Small ball puts fewer runs on the scoreboard.

22. Likes:

gilpdawg (07-21-2014), Larkin Fan (07-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    With the fact that Votto might be the only guy that can guide his hits, I'll take a bunt any day. This Reds team, with this pitching staff, wins games if they play small ball and at least put some runs on the scoreboard. Ask Cueto how much a few extra runs would mean to his win loss record.
    It's a poor question. The question should be "what scores more runs, how the Reds have been doing it or by bunting runners over", and in that case, the answer is without question, how the Reds have been doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It's a poor question. The question should be "what scores more runs, how the Reds have been doing it or by bunting runners over", and in that case, the answer is without question, how the Reds have been doing it.
    What good does it if the Reds win a game 7-1 one day and then lose the next two games 2-1 and 1-0? The Reds scoring isn't consistent, but at least with small ball when appropriate, it raises the percentages of scoring a run. I don't think I've explained things quite as clear as I would like.

Let's take for example a guy on second with no outs. Ideally the next guy that comes up would want to hit the ball towards the right side of the infield or outfield so that if they don't get a hit, they at least advance the runner to third where he can score on a hit or a sac fly. The problem right now is, most Reds hitters other than Votto just aren't coached well enough to be able to do that and even Votto has had trouble with it this year. So I'm saying if they can't do that, they might as well bunt him over and make sure the runner gets to third. Obviously I'd prefer the first method, as it isn't automatically giving up an out, but these guys just aren't getting it done. Heck they aren't even getting the sac flies when they should be. They are just leaving way to many easy runs on the field.

Turn Off Ads?