Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Jesse Winker

Re: Jesse Winker

This seriously may be the worst injury of the season for me. I am so sick of this crap, why can't the Reds just enjoy prolonged success?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Is there an update on Junior Arias? Without his Hamilton-like speed, he may be significantly less interesting as a prospect going forward.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    You wrote about the story on your site instead of here. I feel so hurt and betrayed
    Well, it's not exactly a "pay site". One article a week is on the "pay side", while the rest are just like here, supported by advertising.

5. Likes:

PepperJack (07-23-2014),RedlegJake (07-23-2014)

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/cin/...&vkey=news_cin

Winker's most advanced tool is his ability to hit for average. Using a quick, short stroke, he has excellent eye-hand coordination and uses his measured swing to take pitches where they are thrown. A patient hitter, Winker has an excellent eye at the plate and an advanced knowledge of the strike zone. Taking pitchers deep into counts, Winker makes contact and has struck out only 193 times in 1,102 plate appearances over parts of three Minor League seasons. He has a composite batting average of .297 in his career. Winker's bat speed and line-drive swing plane will remain the foundation of his outstanding hitting mechanics.
    Clearly, Winker's future is as a pure hitter with the ability to get on base and drive in runs. Many feel he is the most solid hitter the Reds have selected in the Draft since Joey Votto in 2002.

Ultimately playing in a hitter-friendly park in Cincinnati, the Reds can look forward to an advanced hitter that will make the pitcher work. Winker's maturity and excellent size, strength and natural ability will carry him to a healthy batting average as a force at the plate.

Is the reason for No surgery due to it takes longer to heal and it could hurt his power in the future? Not bad enough to need it?

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...nker/13222581/

Winker suffered a partially torn tendon in his right wrist in a car accident earlier this month and tried to play through it, including his appearance in the Futures Game at the All-Star Game in Minneapolis, where he was 1 for 2.

"I went (to the Futures Game) there and my whole body was sore, my knee was sore, my shoulder was sore -- and so was my hand, but I just played because I figured that's what happens in a car accident, your body is just banged up," Winker said. "I came back and then we had a scheduled off day after that and then a rainout in Jacksonville and I was swinging in Jacksonville and something just didn't feel right in my hand. I thought it was just a little sore, and everything else was feeling fine. My neck wasn't sore, my knee wasn't sore. We went and got it checked and I ended up putting a cast on it, we came back up and had an MRI and I had a partial tear of a tendon in my hand."

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Is the reason for No surgery due to it takes longer to heal and it could hurt his power in the future? Not bad enough to need it?
    Surgery would just heal it quicker and you would probably find other stufd wrong also.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Surgery would just heal it quicker and you would probably find other stufd wrong also.
    OK, thank you. That makes obvious sense. Why do you think they are not doing that then?

Any details about the car accident?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Any details about the car accident?
    Don't hit and drive.

Don't hit and drive.
    Enlighten me...does this injury zap power? Will he be able to start fully healthy in winter ball?

Has anyone heard anything at all about Winker? I thought he was only supposed to be out for about 3 weeks??

Quote Originally Posted by madeirawood View Post
    Has anyone heard anything at all about Winker? I thought he was only supposed to be out for about 3 weeks??
    Nah, he is part of the Cincinnati organization so he received a Platelet Rich Injection and will never play organized sports again.

16. Likes:

JayBruceFan (08-20-2014),REDREAD (08-19-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by madeirawood View Post
    He was not expected to be back with torn ligaments in his hand this year. No way. Unless they allow him to be injected with banned substances just for the purpose of helping him heal only.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

He was not expected to be back with torn ligaments in his hand this year. No way. Unless they allow him to be injected with banned substances just for the purpose of helping him heal only.
    Original timeline was 2-4 weeks if he didn't need surgery.

I talked with him about 10 days ago. Doesn't give a timeline for return, but did talk a little about what happened and his progress at that point in time.

Turn Off Ads?