Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: As shifts suppress offense, time has come to consider a rule change?

Re: As shifts suppress offense, time has come to consider a rule change?

My favorite crazy baseball idea.............and you'd need some crazy players to try it.

What if all the position players created a sort of wall directly in front of the batters box, to basically block any view of the ball and/or pitcher to the hitter?!? Bet they'd change a rule for that.

Side note: is there an official rule there has to be a catcher?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Outlaw bunts and be done with it.

4. Likes:

jojo (07-23-2014),villain612 (07-24-2014)

Learn to go the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by adampad View Post
    My favorite crazy baseball idea.............and you'd need some crazy players to try it.

What if all the position players created a sort of wall directly in front of the batters box, to basically block any view of the ball and/or pitcher to the hitter?!? Bet they'd change a rule for that.

Side note: is there an official rule there has to be a catcher?
    I was thinking about this, pad the fielders down like football players and have at it, nothings getting past.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I'd also be for this. Enthusiastically.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Ross Barnes the fair foul king votes no

Between the endless shifting and league wide inability to make contact, the games have been relentlessly boring. Watching less and less.

10. Likes:

KronoRed (07-23-2014),REDREAD (07-23-2014)

My crazy rule change to help offense (that will never happen): No more than 10 pitchers allowed on an active roster.

Why are people so hellbent on increasing offense? I've not personally understood why a sport needs a lot of scoring in order to be exciting. If I wanted a 15-12 game, I certainly could take up Lacrosse as a viewing hobby, but I like the pressure of low-scoring baseball games. Surely some occasional high-scoring affairs to spice things up can be a treat, but I don't need a lot of offense all the time to enjoy baseball.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-23-2014),Always Red (07-23-2014),Big Klu (07-23-2014),dougdirt (07-23-2014),gilpdawg (07-24-2014),Old school 1983 (07-23-2014),reds1869 (07-23-2014),Rojo (07-23-2014),thatcoolguy_22 (07-24-2014),TSJ55 (07-26-2014)

I don't see how you can logically make rules about defensive positioning. This isn't the NBA.

Hit the ball where the defenders aren't.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

15. Likes:

reds1869 (07-23-2014),WVRedsFan (07-23-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Why are people so hellbent on increasing offense? I've not personally understood why a sport needs a lot of scoring in order to be exciting. If I wanted a 15-12 game, I certainly could take up Lacrosse as a viewing hobby, but I like the pressure of low-scoring baseball games. Surely some occasional high-scoring affairs to spice things up can be a treat, but I don't need a lot of offense all the time to enjoy baseball.
    Those footballers who constantly tell me they quit baseball years ago say it is boring, that high dollar teams have unhittable pitchers and teams don't score enough runs. Go to a football game where someone wins 3-0 and you'll see upset fans. People want action and watching a 1-0 shutout is not the most exciting thing to the casual fan. They want to see action. Like you, I like the competition and the pressure, but truth is, you have to score to win. That's something we haven't seen from the Reds on a consistent basis since the break.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    I don't see how you can logically make rules about defensive positioning. This isn't the NBA.

Hit the ball where the defenders aren't.
    Basketball has it. Football has it. Soccer has opposite rules where you can't do certain types of offenses (offsides).

They all have some sort of illegal defense kind of thing going on. With that said, I hope baseball doesn't actually consider it. I'm with you. Hit it through them, over them or where they aren't.

18. Likes:

Brutus (07-23-2014)

You know what they say, hitting wins championships.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Hardcore fans, which is the majority on RZ, don't mind low scoring games. The casual fan that makes up 85% of the attendance and viewers get bored with it. I could be a casual fan of soccer - it is a beautiful game. But I find watching a match to be drudgery. 1-0. 2-1. 0-0. I know I'd watch more if they scored more. I don't know what they will do but I will bet you a couple things. First, the NL will adopt the DH at some point, and if the pitching domination gets too out of balance they will change some rules. Strike zone. Defensive shifts. Something will be done. Attendance skyrocketed in the steroid years. Purists hated the softball like scores, obviously, casual fans liked it. Casual fans love scoring and the casual fan is the dollar sign to MLB. I think they'll just watch how it goes for couple more years, though, before tinkering with rule changes.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

21. Likes:

OGB (07-23-2014)

As long as we outlaw Intentional Walks too.

Turn Off Ads?