Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: As shifts suppress offense, time has come to consider a rule change?

Re: As shifts suppress offense, time has come to consider a rule change?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    They could start by enforcing the rules

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info.../pitcher_8.jsp

When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call “Ball.” The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball.

The intent of this rule is to avoid unnecessary delays. The umpire shall insist that the catcher return the ball promptly to the pitcher, and that the pitcher take his position on the rubber promptly. Obvious delay by the pitcher should instantly be penalized by the umpire.
    We also need to enforce or create some kind of rule about stepping out of the box. Once you enter the batters box, there is no more fixing your batting gloves that entire at bat unless it's done within the box.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-24-2014), Beltway (07-23-2014), Brutus (07-23-2014), OGB (07-23-2014), RedsBaron (07-23-2014), Rojo (07-23-2014), Roy Tucker (07-23-2014), StillFunkyB (07-26-2014), Trajinous (07-23-2014), WildcatFan (07-25-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    We also need to enforce or create some kind of rule about stepping out of the box. Once you enter the batters box, there is no more fixing your batting gloves that entire at bat unless it's done within the box.
    Jay Bruce likes to take a stroll, that has to end too

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-24-2014), dougdirt (07-23-2014), RedTeamGo! (07-24-2014), StillFunkyB (07-26-2014)

This will never happen, but I like the idea of changing the number of balls and strikes for a walk and strikeout.

3 balls is a walk, two strikes and you're out.

Really, not much happens strategy wise, until you get to 1-1 on a hitter anyway. Many little and junior leagues start the count at 1-1 in order to speed up the game. I don't see why it can't work at the MLB level.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Dumb idea. So MLB should make a rule because some hitters can't opposite field?.......Really dumb idea.

I think speeding up the game would be more important. Like Doug mentioned, stepping out of the box would be a great place to start.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

Really, not much happens strategy wise, until you get to 1-1 on a hitter anyway. Many little and junior leagues start the count at 1-1 in order to speed up the game. I don't see why it can't work at the MLB level.
    What is the name of this new game?

I'm familiar with the game of baseball, but this description doesn't resemble it.

There goes the first pitch fastball HR. Heisey would be out of a job.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This will never happen, but I like the idea of changing the number of balls and strikes for a walk and strikeout.

Why not start the count at 3-2? One pitch. Guaranteed to either speed up the game or increase scoring.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

10. Likes:

reds44 (07-24-2014)

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Not only is the idea stupid, it's pointless. Shifts are having a very minor effect on run scoring. The current dominance of pitching is an issue of a historically high strikeout rate, driven by numerous factors including a league-wide uptick in velocity, more usage of the cutter, and greater exploration of hitter weaknesses resulting from pitch f/x among many other reasons.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Not only is the idea stupid, it's pointless. Shifts are having a very minor effect on run scoring. The current dominance of pitching is an issue of a historically high strikeout rate, driven by numerous factors including a league-wide uptick in velocity, more usage of the cutter, and greater exploration of hitter weaknesses resulting from pitch f/x among many other reasons.
    Soooo....lower the mound, then?

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Soooo....lower the mound, then?
    I'd be totally cool with that. I assume you'd do it gradually to allow for adjustment.

I just don't see the informational advantage that favors pitchers & defense going away anytime soon, especially with the new Sport View data coming soon.

The other thing that would be quite beneficial to hitters is better enforcement of the strike zone. At minimum, this means technological support for umpires, ultimately with strike zone enforcement being left to the machines. Human enforcement of the zone is really, really hard. I think major league umpires are basically calling strikes as well as is humanly possible. Unfortunately, that still produces an oval shaped zone that is biased based on the actions and reputations of the catcher and batter. This has been further exacerbated by increased velocity and studying of pitch framing leading to better manipulation of umpires given their human limitations.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 07-23-2014 at 04:53 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

14. Likes:

dougdirt (07-23-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Hardcore fans, which is the majority on RZ, don't mind low scoring games. The casual fan that makes up 85% of the attendance and viewers get bored with it. I could be a casual fan of soccer - it is a beautiful game. But I find watching a match to be drudgery. 1-0. 2-1. 0-0. I know I'd watch more if they scored more. I don't know what they will do but I will bet you a couple things. First, the NL will adopt the DH at some point, and if the pitching domination gets too out of balance they will change some rules. Strike zone. Defensive shifts. Something will be done. Attendance skyrocketed in the steroid years. Purists hated the softball like scores, obviously, casual fans liked it. Casual fans love scoring and the casual fan is the dollar sign to MLB. I think they'll just watch how it goes for couple more years, though, before tinkering with rule changes.
    Nobody here likes to read that, but you stumbled on the reality of the situation. If attendance and viewership are in decline, baseball will act accordingly. I think the NL will have the DH in under 5 years.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

I say stop testing for steroids.

Screw it. If these guys wanna destroy themselves for life, it's their choice.

Maybe that's what people want anyway. Cartoonish brutes making a mockery of everything. To hell with it. The market has spoken.

Yes. I'm being sarcastic, but I'm perplexed and dismayed by posts from people I respect falling on the old "baseball is boring" bromide.

Really? You really think that? All the while, you spend your time posting on a baseball message board? You took the time to figure out wrc+, and you think baseball is now boring all of the sudden?

Really?

That makes me sad.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

17. Likes:

TSJ55 (07-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    They could start by enforcing the rules

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info.../pitcher_8.jsp

When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call “Ball.” The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball.

The intent of this rule is to avoid unnecessary delays. The umpire shall insist that the catcher return the ball promptly to the pitcher, and that the pitcher take his position on the rubber promptly. Obvious delay by the pitcher should instantly be penalized by the umpire.
    add less announcer prattle.
    "Hyperbole is the greatest thing ever" Redsland

Baseball is for smart people.

If you're easily bored like most sheep, find something else to do.

The game has always been full of trends, it ebbs and flows, yet stays the same fundamentally. If you're too much of a mouth breather to understand that, we don't need you. Move on.

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-24-2014), gilpdawg (07-24-2014), Newport Red (07-23-2014), Roy Tucker (07-23-2014), TSJ55 (07-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Baseball is for smart people.

If you're easily bored like most sheep, find something else to do.

The game has always been full of trends, it ebbs and flows, yet stays the same fundamentally. If you're too much of a mouth breather to understand that, we don't need you. Move on.
    Baseball is a game. If its not fun to play or to watch, there is no point.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

22. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (07-23-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Baseball is a game. If its not fun to play or to watch, there is no point.
    You're not the only fan in the world. Find something else to do if it bothers you that much.

Turn Off Ads?