Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How happy would you be if.....

Re: How happy would you be if.....

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    The Reds have focused so much on pitching in the last 5 years that they gave one of the best hitters on the planet a $250 million contract.
    They thought they had an anchor. They don't. And Votto wasn't a Jocketty draft.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    After a decade of you preaching pitching first your singing a different tune eh?

I think you like drive on the other side of the road
    When the facts change.....

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    When the facts change.....
    Been reading Keynes lately?

I don't want to see them take the eye of the pitching ball, but they clearly need to start throwing bats against the wall.
    Last edited by Rojo; 07-23-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    I'm not sure how everyone hates Thom so much just because he's a Reds fan. I guess it adds to the frustration we feel as fans?

He reminds me of watching the game with a friend who is a somewhat knowledgeable Reds fan. I suppose some may find that annoying.
    Somewhat knowledgable but in the 7th or 8th inning he spoke two different times about defensive matrix....not metrics, MATRIX

I like pitching over offense. I'd like to have them both, but pitching keeps you in games more than offense. Plus good defense. Chicks dig the long ball and it's sexy and all woohoo, but I like winning games over sex appeal.

The RZ Prozac factor is in full bloom.

And frankly, who the hell cares about Thom.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

6. Likes:

Big Klu (07-24-2014),Number_Fourteen (07-25-2014),Old school 1983 (07-23-2014),westofyou (07-23-2014),wheels (07-23-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I like pitching over offense. I'd like to have them both, but pitching keeps you in games more than offense. Plus good defense. Chicks dig the long ball and it's sexy and all woohoo, but I like winning games over sex appeal.

The RZ Prozac factor is in full bloom.

And frankly, who the hell cares about Thom.
    The good thing is, if you like pitching, the Reds got more of it practically than they know what to do with.

Not sure though why that precludes the Reds from going after offense. It's not like they simply can't identify offensive talent, as they drafted Hamilton and Winker. It's just that they've deemphasized it. Why? I don't know. I'd like to see them not do that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Been reading Keynes lately?

I don't want to see them take the eye of the pitching ball, but they clearly need to start throwing bats against the wall.
    Rothbard would be aghast.

Or at least I know I am. The very mention of the name Keynes is cloying to my soul.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The good thing is, if you like pitching, the Reds got more of it practically than they know what to do with.

Not sure though why that precludes the Reds from going after offense. It's not like they simply can't identify offensive talent, as they drafted Hamilton and Winker. It's just that they've deemphasized it. Why? I don't know. I'd like to see them not do that anymore.
    I think they started emphasizing pitching because Brett Tomko was the last decent home-bred pitcher and even then, he wasn't all that great. They had a lot of thumpers in the interim but that didn't get them too far.

But yeah, the starting 8 pickings are pretty damn slim. Seems they could do something with their depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think they started emphasizing pitching because Brett Tomko was the last decent home-bred pitcher and even then, he wasn't all that great. They had a lot of thumpers in the interim but that didn't get them too far.

But yeah, the starting 8 pickings are pretty damn slim. Seems they could do something with their depth.
    It seems like they're always behind the curve. When power hitters are everywhere, they have power, when pitching is everywhere, they have pitching.

The Reds have seemingly never been ahead of the trends. At least, not since Howsam went away. He was so great, they've lost sight of what made him great. They keep looking to the past and it's always going to hurt them.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

11. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (07-24-2014),redsfanmia (07-23-2014)

I know things suck right now, but you really have to take the long look at things.

I do think Walt has to expend some of that pitching capital to shore up the ramparts for 2014. Even with a semi-healthy Votto back in mid-August, they still lack runs. If he doesn't pull the trigger, I'll join the torches and pitchforks gang. Seems a Bill Bergesch-Murray Cook-Bob Quinn schism is forming up.
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 07-23-2014 at 07:23 PM.

I don't really blame Walt at all, for the record. We know he has a history of pulling off good deals.

He is obviously being given a set of parameters that can't possibly be met. "Keep the payroll under x dollars, keep the fan favorites, keep the team in the hunt every year, don't trade away the farm".

I think Bob and the general partners need to decide to move the bowels or remove themselves from the proverbial pot.

14. Likes:

redsfanmia (07-23-2014),Roy Tucker (07-23-2014)

I'm wondering if Walt isn't coming back (or is moving into a non-GM role with the club) and he and ownership have agreed to sit tight and let the new guy shape the team his own way. I have heard nothing about his contract situation since before Opening Day.

In some ways that would make sense - the Reds don't really have any tradeable assets that have to be moved now vs. in the offseason.

P
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    I'm wondering if Walt isn't coming back (or is moving into a non-GM role with the club) and he and ownership have agreed to sit tight and let the new guy shape the team his own way. I have heard nothing about his contract situation since before Opening Day.

In some ways that would make sense - the Reds don't really have any tradeable assets that have to be moved now vs. in the offseason.
    A bit of a lame duck, type thing?

Not a crazy theory at all.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I don't really blame Walt at all, for the record. We know he has a history of pulling off good deals.

He is obviously being given a set of parameters that can't possibly be met. "Keep the payroll under x dollars, keep the fan favorites, keep the team in the hunt every year, don't trade away the farm".
    I think that's probably right but I do believe Castellini wants to win a title now and not just be content to be in the hunt each year.

They fired Dusty Baker with a year left on his contract and are paying him $4 million this year to stay home and fish.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the front office right now so we could really see how money is affecting potential player moves.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    You woke up tomorrow morning and read that Walt has picked up either (Marlon Byrd, Ben Zobrist or the reasonable guy you are rooting to get) AND Thom Brennaman resigns his Reds announcing position due to extreme disgust.
    Best day ever maybe?
    Go Gators!

The Reds don't need a Ben Zobrist.

What they NEED is a Wil Myers type trade. Yeah, Myers is currently hurt, but I don't really care. That's exactly the type of trade the Reds need.

A Latos/Cueto and Hoover/LeCure for a Joc Pederson type return.

Ben Zobrist is a used bandaid trying to cover road rash on your calf.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

20. Likes:

Hoosier Red (07-24-2014),membengal (07-24-2014),toledodan (07-24-2014)

Turn Off Ads?