Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: Competitive balance lottery

  1. #16
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,567

    Re: Competitive balance lottery

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Using your welfare example - If two families are both making $25,000 a year, but one handles their money much better than the other, should one be eligible for welfare and not the other? That is basically what you are saying here. The Cardinals do not have all kinds of more money than a bunch of teams do, nor do they have the means to climb up and make a whole bunch more, but they use the money that they do have incredibly well. You seem to want to punish them for simply using their money better than other teams with the same streams of money who use it not nearly as well.
    Cards have always had as more money than most.

    When the Cardinals were sold in the 1940's, it was for the highest price ever for a sports franchise. They were the cream of the crop, the organization every other organization wanted to be.

    From the 1953-1996, they were owned by Anheuser-Busch, one of the wealthiest corporations in the history of the world. Currently, they are one of the top ten most valuable MLB franchises according to Forbes. In the last two decades, they have finished less than 4th in the league in attendance once. They don't have a problem generating revenue. They never have, in their entire history.

    They are one of the haves, not one of the have nots,
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,250

    Re: Competitive balance lottery

    The Cardinals are not one of the 'haves'.

    They've got one of the least lucrative local broadcast deals in the league. They are in the bottom ten in terms of local TV revenue and they are stuck in their contract until 2019.

    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/dodge...local-tv-deal/

    I also find it kind of funny that you are crying poor for the Reds and 'big market' for the Cardinals when the Reds rank one spot above the Cardinals on the MLB team payroll list (12th vs 13th).

  4. #18
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,442

    Re: Competitive balance lottery

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Cards have always had as more money than most.

    When the Cardinals were sold in the 1940's, it was for the highest price ever for a sports franchise. They were the cream of the crop, the organization every other organization wanted to be.

    From the 1953-1996, they were owned by Anheuser-Busch, one of the wealthiest corporations in the history of the world. Currently, they are one of the top ten most valuable MLB franchises according to Forbes. In the last two decades, they have finished less than 4th in the league in attendance once. They don't have a problem generating revenue. They never have, in their entire history.

    They are one of the haves, not one of the have nots,
    Every team in the big leagues is owned by a billionaire, so using that as some sort of example is insanely off base.

    Bringing up the sale of the team from the 40's? Really?

    The Cardinals may not have a problem generating revenue at the turnstyles. They do on tv. They do on the radio. Those are big factors.

    And really, even at the turnstyles, they still aren't the Yankees.

    The Cardinals average ticket price is $78. That ranks 14th in baseball, or dead red right in the middle. It's $10 more than the average Reds ticket. It's also $63 less than a Red Sox ticket and $61 less than a Yankees ticket. Filling up the seats only does so much.

    Again, the Cardinals do great with the money they have. But they are not a big market team, nor are they a big revenue team. Because of their outstanding attendance they are probably a bit of a middle-tier team. Still, to compare them to the Yankees just shows your complete lack of understanding of the finances in the game of baseball.

  5. #19
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,567

    Re: Competitive balance lottery

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    The Cardinals are not one of the 'haves'.

    They've got one of the least lucrative local broadcast deals in the league. They are in the bottom ten in terms of local TV revenue and they are stuck in their contract until 2019.

    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/dodge...local-tv-deal/

    I also find it kind of funny that you are crying poor for the Reds and 'big market' for the Cardinals when the Reds rank one spot above the Cardinals on the MLB team payroll list (12th vs 13th).
    It all depends on when they signed it. Teams that were able to renew within the last two or three years are the ones getting big deals. Look closely at that chart. The A's make 50% more than the Giants with their TV deal. The Twins make more than the Braves. TV deal money is all over the place.

    The Cards aren't poor, and never have been. They've never had the payroll issues that most teams deal with. When they want a player, they get him. Every time.

    The Reds are catching up, and if this trend continues, I would be happy to take the Reds out of the competitive balance draft lottery, since that would mean they are generating enough income to compete on their own. Actually, with the current trends continuing, I could see only the A's and Rays needing help in the future,
    Last edited by 757690; 07-24-2014 at 09:50 PM.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  6. #20
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,567

    Re: Competitive balance lottery

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Every team in the big leagues is owned by a billionaire, so using that as some sort of example is insanely off base.

    Bringing up the sale of the team from the 40's? Really?

    The Cardinals may not have a problem generating revenue at the turnstyles. They do on tv. They do on the radio. Those are big factors.

    And really, even at the turnstyles, they still aren't the Yankees.

    The Cardinals average ticket price is $78. That ranks 14th in baseball, or dead red right in the middle. It's $10 more than the average Reds ticket. It's also $63 less than a Red Sox ticket and $61 less than a Yankees ticket. Filling up the seats only does so much.

    Again, the Cardinals do great with the money they have. But they are not a big market team, nor are they a big revenue team. Because of their outstanding attendance they are probably a bit of a middle-tier team. Still, to compare them to the Yankees just shows your complete lack of understanding of the finances in the game of baseball.
    When I said there are the Yankees of the NL, I meant in terms of popularity. My apologies for the confusion.

    Again, the Cards have never had payroll issues. When they want a player, they get him. They are one of the haves and have been their entire existence.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,250

    Re: Competitive balance lottery

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It all depends on when they signed it. Teams that were able to renew within the last two or three years are the ones getting big deals. Look closely at that chart. The A's make 50% more than the Giants with their TV deal. The Twins make more than the Braves. TV deal money is all over the place.
    I believe they just re-upped. Their TV deal was ever crappier a couple of years ago.

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The Cards aren't poor, and never have been. They've never had the payroll issues that most teams deal with. When they want a player, they get him. Every time.
    That's just BS. The Cards have always been middle of the pack in terms of payroll. The reason they tend to get the guys they go after are because they don't even bother going after the really expensive guys. They always pick up the guys who are overlooked or who they think have a chance to bounce back from a bad year. They just have an outstanding record of signing 'fixer-uppers' and getting a ton of bang for their buck.

  8. #22
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,567

    Re: Competitive balance lottery

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I believe they just re-upped. Their TV deal was ever crappier a couple of years ago.



    That's just BS. The Cards have always been middle of the pack in terms of payroll. The reason they tend to get the guys they go after are because they don't even bother going after the really expensive guys. They always pick up the guys who are overlooked or who they think have a chance to bounce back from a bad year. They just have an outstanding record of signing 'fixer-uppers' and getting a ton of bang for their buck.
    Completely disagree, but even conceding the point, if they are middle of the pack, why are they in the competitive balance lottery? That should only be for teams that need help to stay competitive. Can anyone logically argue that the Cardinals, Rockies and Orioles need help?
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  9. #23
    "So Fla Red"
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    South Florida - The Real Humidor
    Posts
    5,067

    Re: Competitive balance lottery

    Team with the #8 size market (and #4 without a second team) gets the first pick.

  10. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,250

    Re: Competitive balance lottery

    Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Team with the #8 size market (and #4 without a second team) gets the first pick.
    It's a market where no one gives a crap about baseball, as evidenced by their terrible attendance and pathetic TV deal. It doesn't matter how big the market is if no one cares about baseball. Moscow and Mumbai are big cities too, but that doesn't mean they would be good markets for a MLB franchise. Although, they probably couldn't be much worse than Miami.

  11. Likes:

    westofyou (07-25-2014)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25