Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Reds History: Undisputed and Important facts every Reds fan should know

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Reds History: Undisputed and Important facts every Reds fan should know

Starting in 1976, the Reds have either swept or been swept in 7 of the 9 playoff series they've been involved in (not counting 1 game playoffs).
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

On April 19th 2005 Todd Coffey became the first MLB player to bring a 16 mph wind throughout GAPB and also the first pitcher to throw a first pitch with a heart rate over 175

Then gave up 2 ER

Reds History: Undisputed and Important facts every Reds fan should know

On May 10th 2009 Adam Rosales recorded the quickest time around the bases for an over the fence HR in MLB history (14.7)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CXSCIuXXsgQ
    Last edited by Ironman92; 07-25-2014 at 11:16 AM. Reason: wrong

On June 20th 2007 with the Reds playing the Oakland A's. Oakland led in the 9th inning 5-3 and the Reds were down to their last out....Jerry Narron pinch hit Juan Castro and his .424 OPS for Josh Hamilton....Hamilton HR earlier in the game.

Castro struck out to end the game.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Many people missed Tom Browning's perfect game because the game had a rain delay.
    I had the chance to go to that game. A friend had an extra ticket. But between the forecast for rain and the fact I had to work that night, I declined. Said friend went, and left during that rain delay only to be one of those that missed the finish of the game.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I had the chance to go to that game. A friend had an extra ticket. But between the forecast for rain and the fact I had to work that night, I declined. Said friend went, and left during that rain delay only to be one of those that missed the finish of the game.
    Odd, I've personally spoken with at least 200,000 people who swear they were there to the bitter end.

It's good to hear of your friend's honesty

Dave Concepcion was almost the player to score MLB's 1 millionth run in 1975. He hit a homerun and almost made in home in time to beat out Bob Watson of the Astros who scored from 2nd on a two run homerun.

http://www.baseballintheblood.com/?p=288
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    Dave Concepcion was almost the player to score MLB's 1 millionth run in 1975. He hit a homerun and almost made in home in time to beat out Bob Watson of the Astros who scored from 2nd on a two run homerun.

I wrote a piece on that, it's a funny story

10. Likes:

Always Red (07-25-2014)

As early as 1970, Commissioner Bowie Kuhn had his security chief, Henry Fitzgibbon, investigating Rose's gambling and his association with bookmakers. Fitzgibbon was suspicious, but wasn't convinced he had a case.

Dick Wagner, the charming Reds' general manager, is quoted as saying in 1978: "Pete's legs may get broken when his playing days are over."

12. Likes:

westofyou (07-25-2014)

I remember listening to that on the radio. For a while that day everyone thought Concepcion has scored 1 millionth run. It wasn't until late in the day ot was determined Watson had scored it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    As early as 1970, Commissioner Bowie Kuhn had his security chief, Henry Fitzgibbon, investigating Rose's gambling and his association with bookmakers. Fitzgibbon was suspicious, but wasn't convinced he had a case.

Dick Wagner, the charming Reds' general manager, is quoted as saying in 1978: "Pete's legs may get broken when his playing days are over."
    What a guy... Ol Pete. What if someone had gotten him the help he needed back then? Makes you think.

Was at that game. It was pretty cool until they posted on the scoreboard that Bob Watson scored the run while Davey was rounding 3rd.

Earlier in this thread somebody posted that Adam Rosales rounded the bases on a HR as the fastest time ever. I take issue. Davey was in an all out spring to try to score the big run and even if Rosales was too, there is no way he circled the bases faster than Davey did that day. Davey was just faster.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Riverfront Stadium was miserably hot during day games in the summer.

17. Likes:

Always Red (07-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I wrote a piece on that, it's a funny story
    You could easily have a multi-page thread of "funny Davey Concepcion" stories.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    You could easily have a multi-page thread of "funny Davey Concepcion" stories.
    Dave Pallone is famous for his run in with Peter Edward, but he had much more history with Dave Concepcion.

Turn Off Ads?