Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds History: Undisputed and Important facts every Reds fan should know

Re: Reds History: Undisputed and Important facts every Reds fan should know

Tom Browning left the dugout and sat with the rooftop fans at Wrigley during the game

2. Turn Off Ads?

An APB was put out for Tom Browning during Game 2 of the 1990 World Series when he left the game early to go to the hospital with his wife who was in labor, forgetting to tell his coaches that he was leaving.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    The 1919 Reds would have won even if the "Black Sox" had played straight. Lost in the scandal is just how good that 1919 team was. Of 6 starting pitchers Luque's 2.63 era was highest. Next was 2.39. There were solid starters at every position and stars in Roush, Daubert and Groh.
    This is an opinion, not a fact. Even if the Reds would have been heavy favorites, it's not a fact that they would have won.

Course, there's also the side that thinks a handful of the Black Sox players who were accused of throwing the Series decided at the last minute to play things straight (such as Shoeless Joe Jackson).

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    Johnny Bench is the greatest catcher of all time
    This is an opinion, not a fa...

Nevermind, it's a fact.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Davey Concepcion invented the one hop throw to 1st on the astroturf to ease the strain on his arm (elbow injury IIRC). It was quickly adopted by numerous infielders on the carpet.

7. Likes:

Always Red (07-24-2014),klw (07-24-2014)

Cincinnati was expelled from the National League in 1880 for continuing to rent out the ballpark on Sundays and for not ceasing to sell beer during games.

Don Werner caught Tom Seaver's no-hitter.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

9. Likes:

Always Red (07-24-2014),Hoosier Red (07-24-2014),villain612 (07-24-2014)

Haunted by walks

The Reds have had at least one player on the roster who spent his entire career with the Reds, each year since 1967.

11. Likes:

Hoosier Red (07-24-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Johnny Vander Meer is the only pitcher in Major League history to throw no-hitters in back-to-back starts.
    Vander Meer's second no-hitter took place during the first ever night game at Ebbets Field, which was also the first night game to take place outside of Cincinnati. Babe Ruth and Jesse Owens were in attendance.

In the start following his second no-hitter, Vander Meer didn't allow a hit until the 4th inning, making a total of 21 1/3 consecutive hitless innings. He "settled" for a complete game 4-hitter in that one.
    Last edited by RichRed; 07-24-2014 at 08:44 PM.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    Piggybacking...

In 1994, the Reds had the best record in the NL Central (the first season the division existed) ... and did not make the playoffs.
    We don't talk about that.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    The 1919 Reds would have won even if the "Black Sox" had played straight. Lost in the scandal is just how good that 1919 team was. Of 6 starting pitchers Luque's 2.63 era was highest. Next was 2.39. There were solid starters at every position and stars in Roush, Daubert and Groh.
    I've always thought that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Many people missed Tom Browning's perfect game because the game had a rain delay.
    Also, it was a Friday night in September, and many people were attending high school football games and did not bother to tune in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    Also, it was a Friday night in September, and many people were attending high school football games and did not bother to tune in.
    Actually, I was at a high school football game that night. When the game was over, I walked to my car and turned on the radio to see if I could get an update on the Reds game, figuring it was over. Instead, I heard Marty giving the starting lineups! I thought to myself that it was awfully nice of them to wait until I could listen before starting the game...maybe something important was going to happen....
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

17. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-25-2014),Hoosier Red (07-24-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Actually, I was at a high school football game that night. When the game was over, I walked to my car and turned on the radio to see if I could get an update on the Reds game, figuring it was over. Instead, I heard Marty giving the starting lineups! I thought to myself that it was awfully nice of them to wait until I could listen before starting the game...maybe something important was going to happen....
    I was about the same way. IIRC, I turned the game on after I got home and was surprised it was early in the game.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The 1940 Reds defeated the Detroit Tigers in the World Series despite having two starting players out with injuries: Lonny Frey and Ernie Lombardi.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I wrote the SABR bio for Pat, and Sandy (a long lost RZer) and I did a presentation on it at SABR in 2004Pat's HR was preceded by a month by John Beckwith in a Negro NL game. later that summer Ruth and the Yankees played an Exhibition at Redland and Ruth hit two out, one in RF the otehr in CF, this comic depicts Duncan's day

Attachment 7626
    Good stuff

Turn Off Ads?