Turn Off Ads?

Thread: TV Mounting question(s)

TV Mounting question(s)

OK, figure this is a good place for knowledge about a lot of different things.

I recently moved to a new house, the prior owner left behind a wall bracket, similar (though perhaps not exact) to this:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...specifications

As you look at the picture, they only left behind the part that actually connects to the wall. The parts that connect to the TV and then mount on the bracket are presumably with them (or in the trash somewhere, they certainly weren't left behind for me).

anyhoo, under my current setup, I have a 36" or so TV that is a few years old, my plan is to move that upstairs into the bedroom where we no longer have a TV and replace that one with something bigger (I'm thinking somewhere in the 48" to 60" range). Now assuming that the bracket left behind is long enough to support a TV of that size (right now I'm guessing that it is, but haven't actually measured it to compare the size to the specs of different sized units yet) does it matter which manufacture I purchase the pieces from that hook on to the TV than hook on to the bracket already mounted on the wall? I can't find a listed manufacturer anywhere on the bracket, so I have no clue who actually made it.

I guess what I'm getting at, is how universal are the arms that attach to the TV then are mounted on the bracket? Will any company do or do I need to match the same manufacturer as the bracket current sitting on the wall, short of changing out the bracket. My fear is that getting a new wall bracket will prove to be difficult or at least time consuming so if I can just use the arms from a new set, mount them to the TV then hang it on the existing bracket it would go pretty smoothly. This isn't something I plan on doing this weekend, but probably in the next 6 months, so I figured I might as well prepare myself as much as I can. If anyone has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. TIA.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: TV Mounting question(s)

Make sure when you mount your TV that you use protection

4. Likes:

dougdirt (07-26-2014),Raisor (08-01-2014),Razor Shines (07-25-2014),RBA (07-25-2014),reds1869 (08-01-2014),Rojo (07-31-2014)

So, you're saying I need to buy one of those upsell deals Best Buy is always offering me when I check out? Hmm.. never really thought about that, I'll give it a consideration.

You don't sit on the television!! Period. Geez, did my son start this thread?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

7. Likes:

westofyou (07-25-2014)

WOY stole my joke and did it first and better.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

TV's are too expensive to replace to not just buy a new mount that you know is going to have all of the correct parts that can support your new TV.

Medford, are you talking about the 4 screws that hold the TV that are usually spaced out in a square? Those spaces are usually pretty universal, usually in 50mm spaces with 100 mm being the most common

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Medford, are you talking about the 4 screws that hold the TV that are usually spaced out in a square? Those spaces are usually pretty universal, usually in 50mm spaces with 100 mm being the most common
    No, I'm talking about the part that is actually screwed into the wall. The big bracket (or whatever you call it) that is approx 4 feet wide and 2 feet high (guesses, I haven't taken a tape measure to it yet).

What I envisioned, is buying something like this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketfish-tilting-wall-mount-for-most-32-to-70-flat-panel-tvs/9881868.p;jsessionid=54629AC7F7632C6BCDFFC8C63219B 24B.bbolsp-app04-189?id=1218188548973&skuId=9881868&st=categoryid$a bcat0106004&cp=1&lp=1

then taking the arms from that, screwing them on to the tv, then hanging the arms on the bracket that is currently existing. What I don't know is if the bracket to arm attachment is pretty much universal or if I'd have to have the arms and bracket be from the same manufacturer. If I had to replace the bracket, I would, but I'd rather limit the amount of holes I put in the wall. I'm not sure if they are drilled into studs, or if they are just drilled thru the dry wall with an anchor pulling the connection tight to the drywall.

What I'll probably end up doing at some point is buying the wall mount, then testing it out on my current TV (36") before doing anything w/ a new TV. Probably won't do anything until Christmas time at any rate, just something I've been thinking about and trying to figure out how to most easily accomplish this.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Medford, I got a brand new mount, tilting on both planes, for less than the item you linked. Just buy a whole new mount and you will not have to worry about things matching up and working together. You can get them for less than the $120 for that thing.

I agree with Doug. Had the same situation when we moved a few months ago. Better off just buying a new unit and mounting it yourself rather than trusting your TV to replacement hardware.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    So, you're saying I need to buy one of those upsell deals Best Buy is always offering me when I check out? Hmm.. never really thought about that, I'll give it a consideration.
    Heck no. Do no buy a TV mount, or a AV cable, from Best Buy, unless you enjoy burning cash for fun.. Go to Amazon, get the cheapest mount with good reviews you can find. No point in keeping the old mount and hoping the new arms fit it, just replace the whole thing.

No, I'm talking about the part that is actually screwed into the wall. The big bracket (or whatever you call it) that is approx 4 feet wide and 2 feet high (guesses, I haven't taken a tape measure to it yet).

What I envisioned, is buying something like this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketfish-tilting-wall-mount-for-most-32-to-70-flat-panel-tvs/9881868.p;jsessionid=54629AC7F7632C6BCDFFC8C63219B 24B.bbolsp-app04-189?id=1218188548973&skuId=9881868&st=categoryid$a bcat0106004&cp=1&lp=1

then taking the arms from that, screwing them on to the tv, then hanging the arms on the bracket that is currently existing. What I don't know is if the bracket to arm attachment is pretty much universal or if I'd have to have the arms and bracket be from the same manufacturer. If I had to replace the bracket, I would, but I'd rather limit the amount of holes I put in the wall. I'm not sure if they are drilled into studs, or if they are just drilled thru the dry wall with an anchor pulling the connection tight to the drywall.

What I'll probably end up doing at some point is buying the wall mount, then testing it out on my current TV (36") before doing anything w/ a new TV. Probably won't do anything until Christmas time at any rate, just something I've been thinking about and trying to figure out how to most easily accomplish this.
    Don't worry about the number of holes in the wall. TV mounts mount 16" on center, on studs. Even if you have to make new holes, the old ones will most likely be behind the new TV anyways. And a couple of small holes in drywall never hurt anyone. And a mount for a larger TV is usually different than a mount for a smaller TV, so "testing" it with your old TV isn't going to be likely. It's highly unlikely the mount is held on with anchors, if it is then I would never trust a drywall anchor to support a TV, unless it was a 19".

A new wall mount from amazon is $20-$30, or around there...

Source of my knowledge: Formerly worked in product development for an electronics distributor (and tested tons of mounts to see if they were worthy of selling), now I own a home inspection business...
    Last edited by bengalsown; 08-03-2014 at 09:04 PM.

thanks for the answers. I haven't really looked around for prices yet, just trying to get a handle for what I need. I typically use monoprice for my cables and noticed that they have mounts as well, are they still a good place to buy? guess I could compare them easily to amazon, but might be a few other sites out there as well that I haven't heard of.

thanks for the answers. I haven't really looked around for prices yet, just trying to get a handle for what I need. I typically use monoprice for my cables and noticed that they have mounts as well, are they still a good place to buy? guess I could compare them easily to amazon, but might be a few other sites out there as well that I haven't heard of.
    Yes, monoprice is a good place to buy as well. There's tons of chinese manufacturers making mounts, they're all pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Medford, I got a brand new mount, tilting on both planes, for less than the item you linked. Just buy a whole new mount and you will not have to worry about things matching up and working together. You can get them for less than the $120 for that thing.
    This. Save yourself the time and hassle and buy a new one. We got ours at Best Buy for less then $100. They're no big deal because if anyone can break it, or do it wrong, I can... yet we installed it easily.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?