Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Interview advice - help!

Interview advice - help!

Hey all, I have an interview later today with the president and founder of a software company outside of Cleveland.

The problem is my seasonal allergies hit me like a freight train yesterday and I feel awful. I am not going to cancel the interview, but do you think I should say right away that my allergies are bothering me and apologize for my voice sounding bad?

He just emailed me to confirm the time - should I mention via email about my allergies, or would that be weird?

I am unsure of how to handle this.

Thanks in advance!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Interview advice - help!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Hey all, I have an interview later today with the president and founder of a software company outside of Cleveland.

The problem is my seasonal allergies hit me like a freight train yesterday and I feel awful. I am not going to cancel the interview, but do you think I should say right away that my allergies are bothering me and apologize for my voice sounding bad?

He just emailed me to confirm the time - should I mention via email about my allergies, or would that be weird?

I am unsure of how to handle this.

Thanks in advance!
    By all means, mention that this is a bad allergy day for you "so please bear with me. I don't have the plague" or something to that effect. Make it kindof a light moment. And good luck!

4. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (08-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    By all means, mention that this is a bad allergy day for you "so please bear with me. I don't have the plague" or something to that effect. Make it kindof a light moment. And good luck!
    Good advice, thank you!

Good luck!

7. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (08-26-2014)

yes absolutely mention it, within the first minute, but also emphasis that despite the way you feel, there is no way you were going to pass on an opportunity to meet and potentially work for this person.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    yes absolutely mention it, within the first minute, but also emphasis that despite the way you feel, there is no way you were going to pass on an opportunity to meet and potentially work for this person.
    That is basically what I did and the interview went well. Unfortunately the salary is a lot less than I would like, so I do not think I am going to pursue it much further unless he offers and I am able to negotiate the salary up to what I am looking for. The problem is it is like $20k less than I currently make, so I do not think it is realistic to expect them to come close to even that.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 08-27-2014 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    That is basically what I did and the interview went well. Unfortunately the salary is a lot less than I would like, so I do not think I am going to pursue it much further unless he offers and I am able to negotiate the salary up to what I am looking for. The problem is it is like $20k less than I currently make, so I do think it is realistic to expect them to come close to even that.
    Ouch- I hate when that happens. I just rejected an offer from a place that was not forthcoming with their salary until the interview. At that point, I felt they had wasted their and my time by being coy. Now, they are in the process of re-opening their search. For people with much less experience, most likely.

And as a fellow seasonal allergy sufferer, I sympathize with your plight. I'm having a terrible cough and hack day today.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

11. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (08-27-2014)

Turn Off Ads?