Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds home and away

Reds home and away

Reds OPS, hitting, at home this year is fifth in the NL at .728 above the average .714. Not surprising, Reds play at GABP.

Reds are third in home SLG well above league average at .411. Team OBP at home is just a touch below league average.

On the road this season, Reds have second worst OPS in the league, .652. Road OBP is .294 tied for next to worst in the league. Road SLG is .358, twelfth in the league. All of these are well below league average.

Reds pitching on the road, ERA anyway, is relatively better on the ROAD (third best in NL) then at home (8th best).

On the hitting front, I'm always concerned that it's tougher for players to adjust to other stadiums after GABP.

In any event, there is a large split of the team's offense when home v. the road.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-25-2014 at 06:33 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Reds home and away

Team wRC+ (wOBA park-adjusted and indexed to 100) is 98 at home (T-8th), 80 on the road (14th) and 88 overall (12th).

Team ERA- (ERA park-adjusted and indexed to 100) is 94 overall (4th), but I didn't see home/road splits.

Even adjusting for parks, your point holds. This team has hit decently at home, but has been a disaster on the road.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

how about the opponents they faced? there is obviously a difference between kershaw in la and volquez at home... I think the sample size is pretty big and therefore it evens out a bit, but it could be a factor aswell...
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by tomnuetten View Post
    how about the opponents they faced? there is obviously a difference between kershaw in la and volquez at home... I think the sample size is pretty big and therefore it evens out a bit, but it could be a factor aswell...
    Should average out pretty closely to the same I'd guess.

MLB players that constantly try to pull an outside 1-2 pitch....not usually successful.

I'd like to see a lot more attempted oppo and a lot less attempted HR

Every run of the 6 game road trip was via a solo HR?

When you look at individuals, the Reds all have decent OPS (or better) at home, except Schumaker has only a .523 at home and Pena .579. Cozart .602. All others well over .700 at home.

On the road, Bruce, Phillips, Heisey, Votto, Cozart, Santiago all under .700 OPS, some much lower. Only hitter over .767 OPS is Mesoraco with .983. Votto with a huge home/road split.

I don't know exactly whether the opposition has been easier at home, but they've played tough pitching home, Cards, Brewers, Pirates, Dodgers, Giants, Blue Jays.

I will say that these numbers are heavily influenced by the last nine road games against Padres, Yanks, Brewers, all losses in which the Reds scored 0,2,0,3,1,2,2,3,1.

Years ago Bill James argued the Cubs were as bad as they have been because Wrigley Field made very mediocre players seem better offensively than they were. Are we seeing the same phenomena with GABP and the Reds--i.e. the simple answer is the talent's just not as good as the GABP numbers make them seem? Or, to put it otherwise, if they were good enough to put up better numbers on the road, their GABP numbers would be phenomenal, much higher than they are now?

9. Likes:

Ironman92 (07-26-2014), mth123 (07-26-2014)

From time to time, I've thought GABP influenced the Reds' hitting styles -- hitting longish fly balls was a desirable objective since they might leave the stadium.

This year the team is among the worst at homering on the road. But this hasn't been true every year, last year they did better. So GABP may not be a very good excuse.

On reflection, the home/road numbers this year probably just reflect a struggling offense, which tends to be worse away from home cooking. Last year the team had a three man offense, Choo, Votto and Bruce, which essentially has needed to replaced this season without any additions. Too much to ask for.

Turn Off Ads?