Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: if I owned the team.....

if I owned the team.....

i'd fire everyone and then quit myself

seriously frustrated as I'm sure all of you are.....i can handle a losing streak but the lack of any sort of offense and the lack of any sort of passion(imo) is more than I can swallow.

firstly does Bruce have options? (tongue loosely in cheek) I'd at least like to see him fling his helmet or maybe break a few knuckles on the tunnel wall

how long before Ludwick is DFA'd?

is Cozart using a fungo? thats the only explanation for that many infield pop ups

did anyone else know 100% that Hoover should've been done for the evening after getting out of the 5th inning jam?

outside of the Latos deal I can't recall shipping out any big name prospects the last few years......shouldn't there be a few lying around to call up?

sorry to ramble but now I'm on the braves-Padres game and the tomahawk chop is the 2nd most annoying thing is sports immediately behind clearing the deck and raising the freakin' jolly roger

love Brayan Pena....hate the uni-brow

love Skip Schumaker....hate he's getting so many plate appearances

love Sam LeCure....wish he could channel last season

can't really pick on Frazier, Mes, or Billy ball but I hate them too at the moment

finally the only thing that could've made this stretch worse is if Grande had been calling the games...at least we have that going for us......wow I should feel a little better now but somehow I dont

2. Likes:

toledodan (07-26-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: if I owned the team.....

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    i'd fire everyone and then quit myself

seriously frustrated as I'm sure all of you are.....i can handle a losing streak but the lack of any sort of offense and the lack of any sort of passion(imo) is more than I can swallow.

firstly does Bruce have options? (tongue loosely in cheek) I'd at least like to see him fling his helmet or maybe break a few knuckles on the tunnel wall

how long before Ludwick is DFA'd?

is Cozart using a fungo? thats the only explanation for that many infield pop ups

did anyone else know 100% that Hoover should've been done for the evening after getting out of the 5th inning jam?

outside of the Latos deal I can't recall shipping out any big name prospects the last few years......shouldn't there be a few lying around to call up?

sorry to ramble but now I'm on the braves-Padres game and the tomahawk chop is the 2nd most annoying thing is sports immediately behind clearing the deck and raising the freakin' jolly roger

love Brayan Pena....hate the uni-brow

love Skip Schumaker....hate he's getting so many plate appearances

love Sam LeCure....wish he could channel last season

can't really pick on Frazier, Mes, or Billy ball but I hate them too at the moment

finally the only thing that could've made this stretch worse is if Grande had been calling the games...at least we have that going for us......wow I should feel a little better now but somehow I dont
    I don't agree with it all....but glad you are frustrated with the rest of us

5. Likes:

Chip R (07-26-2014)

Worth The Wait

The pre-break streak was nice, but overall it's been a rotten season all around. Pretty hard team to watch. A decent amount of it is due to injuries, but the offense is terribly flawed even when healthy. And no team should ever assume perfect health.

I don't think they lack passion--- seems the effort is there generally. But there is just a lot of dead weight on the roster.

I'm a broken record here, but they missed their window. 2012 and 2013 were great opportunities and they came up short. I don't think they necessarily need to go the Houston route and start from scratch, but a fairly significant retooling is in orderif they ever want to win with this core.

7. Likes:

GADawg (07-26-2014), joshua (07-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    Pretty hard team to watch.
    I would have to double check, but I'm pretty sure you've said that about almost every Reds team each of the last several seasons.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

9. Likes:

Larkin Fan (07-26-2014), Raisor (07-26-2014), westofyou (07-26-2014)

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I would have to double check, but I'm pretty sure you've said that about almost every Reds team each of the last several seasons.
    I don't know about "several." I started a thread early in 2012 (April) where I totally jumped the gun... Wound up eating crow on that one (gladly). The 2012 team wound up being highly enjoyable to follow. Last year, I said consistently that I thought the team was "missing something" and that I never really bought into them... I felt that the Giants playoff loss lingered throughout the 2013 season, but not necessarily that the team was hard to watch. I don't recall feeling that way about 2010 or even 2011.

This team is hard to stomach because it no longer feels like we are building towards anything. They aren't contenders in the now and I don't think they are really "on track" for a whole lot more down the road either. I do think that we could be a few shrewd moves away from being really good again, but these would not be internal moves.

If I was the owner I would have signed Cespedes, drafted C Seager and brought back Zack Duke. I would have also signed Mark Reynolds to back up 1B/3B. I wouldn't have traded Gregorius either. I would have extended Cueto last year. I would have not extended Ludwick. No Hannahan or Skip. NO 225 M Votto extension. Let him go year to year. NO Bailey extension.

2014 lineup: without injuries

Hamilton, Frazier, Votto, Cespedes, Bruce, Mesoraco, Phillips, Cozart/Gregorius

2014 lineup: with injuries

Hamilton, Gregorius, Frazier, Cespedes, Bruce, Mesoraco, Reynolds, Cozart

Pena
    Reynolds
    Stubbs VS LHP
    Gregorius
    Heisey/F Perez

TOP 5 prospects:

1. Stephenson
    2. C Seager
    3. Winker
    4. Lorenzen
    5. Ervin

Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Simon, Leake
    Chapman, Broxton, Duke, LeCure, Jumbo, Parra, Ondrusek/Hoover
    Last edited by JMO; 07-26-2014 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    If I was the owner I would have signed Cespedes, drafted C Seager and brought back Zack Duke. I would have also signed Mark Reynolds to back up 1B/3B. I wouldn't have traded Gregorius either. I would have extended Cueto last year. I would have not extended Ludwick. No Hannahan or Skip. NO 225 M Votto extension. Let him go year to year. NO Bailey extension.
    This is why we can't have nice things.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

13. Likes:

757690 (07-26-2014), kaldaniels (07-26-2014), villain612 (07-26-2014), westofyou (07-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post

I'm a broken record here, but they missed their window. 2012 and 2013 were great opportunities and they came up short. I don't think they necessarily need to go the Houston route and start from scratch, but a fairly significant retooling is in orderif they ever want to win with this core.
    Missing something here. This is the same team as we had in 2012/2013 except we added the probable ROY out in CF. So how come the last two years were "great opportunities" but this team needs to be "significantly retooled". Its pretty much the same team.

If I owned Reds Zoan I'd ban all second guessers. No exceptions.

If I owned the Reds I'd have a fabulous home in Indian Hill and still tool around Round Bottom Road late at night in the summer to smell the Little Miami River hanging in the mist while I listened to my teams games on the west coast. Then I cruise into the Mariemont Graeters and get me a nectar phosphate and maybe walk towards the concourse on the bluff and take in the view.

That's what I might do if I owned the Reds.

17. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (07-26-2014), redsmetz (07-26-2014), Roy Tucker (07-26-2014)

I would troll RedsZone and get a rise out of people. Maybe I do that already....or maybe some of the posters who show up during the losing streaks are minority share holders.

19. Likes:

Roy Tucker (07-26-2014)

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

2014 lineup: without injuries

Hamilton, Frazier, Votto, Cespedes, Bruce, Mesoraco, Phillips, Cozart/Gregorius

2014 lineup: with injuries

Hamilton, Gregorius, Frazier, Cespedes, Bruce, Mesoraco, Reynolds, Cozart

Pena
    Reynolds
    Stubbs VS LHP
    Gregorius
    Heisey/F Perez

TOP 5 prospects:

1. Stephenson
    2. C Seager
    3. Winker
    4. Lorenzen
    5. Ervin

Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Simon, Leake
    Chapman, Broxton, Duke, LeCure, Jumbo, Parra, Ondrusek/Hoover
    I would do all the 20/20 hindsight things too, but also sign Puig and Abreu. Also would have drafted Trout (obv) and Jeter back in the day.

Lineup would be

Hamilton
    Votto
    Trout
    Cespedes
    Abreu
    Trout (bat him twice)
    Mes
    Frazier
    Bruce
    Didi

Jeets on the pine
    Last edited by bigredmechanism; 07-26-2014 at 01:32 AM.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

21. Likes:

757690 (07-26-2014), RiverRat13 (07-26-2014), Tom Servo (07-26-2014), westofyou (07-26-2014), WildcatFan (07-26-2014)

Its not hindsight. We took a chance on Chapman and Iglesias, why not Puig or Cespedes? You think they didn't know they were uber talented? They just didn't want them. That's crazy. Duke was Marshall insurance and this past winter I said the Reds should sign BOTH Reynolds and Duke. Same with Gregorius. Who liked the Ludwick deal? Who liked the Hannahan deal? Who liked giving Votto 225 M?

Its not hindsight. We took a chance on Chapman and Iglesias, why not Puig or Cespedes? You think they didn't know they were uber talented? They just didn't want them. That's crazy.
    Name:  notsureifserious.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  26.3 KB
    "I got news for ya, Sugar Bear. We are going to be World Champions again. We are now going to be World Champions again!"

Cheerleaders...

Turn Off Ads?