Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hall of Fame ballot now limited to 10 years

Haunted by walks

Hall of Fame ballot now limited to 10 years

C. Trent is tweeting that the window for being on the Hall of Fame ballot is being reduced from 15 to 10 years. I suppose if you're not one of the top 10 candidates in at least one of the 10 years, you shouldn't be in the Hall anyway.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hall of Fame ballot now limited to 10 years

Except why change this rule now? I mean, other than to get the steroids guys off the ballot sooner.

4. Likes:

joshua (07-26-2014), OGB (07-28-2014)

Haunted by walks

That probably is why they're doing it. Still, 10 years seems plenty.

http://baseballhall.org/news/press-r...yers-effective

Make it 5.

7. Likes:

bounty37h (07-28-2014)

Seems they are heading toward not having a vote at all, since nobody will measure up to the 'real' Hall of Famers.

Maybe they will just hold a meeting and smack each other on the back and talk about how the old players played the game the right way.
    Go Gators!

9. Likes:

jojo (07-27-2014), joshua (07-26-2014), OGB (07-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Make it 5.
    I'd love to make it one year just so we can do away with this "first ballot hall of famer" nonsense.

Either someone is worthy of the hall or they aren't IMHO.

But yeah, I'm in favor of this despite whatever rationale they might have for doing it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

11. Likes:

bounty37h (07-28-2014), OGB (07-28-2014), Raisor (07-27-2014), REDREAD (07-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I'd love to make it one year just so we can do away with this "first ballot hall of famer" nonsense.

Either someone is worthy of the hall or they aren't IMHO.

But yeah, I'm in favor of this despite whatever rationale they might have for doing it.
    Have to be out of the game for 10 years and then you only gt one shot to get voted in or not.

Gives the voters time to really look at the qualifications of the players, comparing them to past hall of famers and the players they were competing directly against.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

13. Likes:

Brutus (07-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    Have to be out of the game for 10 years and then you only gt one shot to get voted in or not.

Gives the voters time to really look at the qualifications of the players, comparing them to past hall of famers and the players they were competing directly against.
    Yeah I did mean to say only one year of eligibility, not necessarily right after they retire. But I love your version. I would totally get behind that.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

This pretty much means Tim Raines and Edgar Martinez have no chance of getting in.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Rather than worry about how many years a player is eligible, they should really figure out who should be eligible to vote. The BBWAA will become irrelevant in the next 5-10 years, considering the growing irrelevance of local newspapers and, by extension, beat writers. Besides, based on the fact that John Fay, Woody Paige, and Dan Shaughnessy have votes, I'd say you have some voters who are little better than Banana Phone callers in their ability to evaluate and understand the game of baseball. These are some of your gatekeepers for the Hall of Fame.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

17. Likes:

dfs (07-27-2014), OGB (07-28-2014)

Who cares about HOFers when you can go to Cooperstown and have a chance to do this?

Name:  Bte-skYIYAAtyIU.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  45.6 KB

19. Likes:

OGB (07-28-2014), reds44 (07-28-2014)

I used to love the HOF and I've been there but now it is meaningless. Who are they to be the referendum on who was a roider? And don't we know that a lot of players were using PED's even going back to the 70's? And even further if you go back to the 60's when players started taking greenies or amphetamines.

I am in favor of strict testing and I think it is possible to limit cheating. But I also believe what happened, happened. Records were broken. Games were won and lost and no team from the steroid era has had a World Series title stripped from them. So let Bonds, Clemens and the real greats of that era in the HOF. Everyone will know what happened, but it's part of the history of the game.

Also it's ridiculous to act like we know who was using what.

21. Likes:

jojo (07-27-2014), mth123 (07-27-2014)

There's no Walt only Zuul villain612's Avatar

The HoF has been losing its relevance for years and the sportswriters have no one but themselves to blame.

How do players like Greg Maddux and Frank Thomas not get 100% of the vote to get in?

For the record, even with the PED-related issues, I do think players like Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire should be inducted. If you want to give an asterisk then fine.

Pete should be in too but that's a whole 'nother thread
    "The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers."

23. Likes:

jojo (07-27-2014)

So I tuned in to watch the HOF induction speeches today, but I guess I missed Derek Jeter's
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

How does Tom Seaver....who I loved ... et the highest % of votes over Mays, Aaron?

Sportswriters.....the people who love to tell you what is right and wrong and act like they are above it all.... like Tom Seaver as a person more.

Yet I am supposed to respect these writers? Dick Young was one guy I could not stand and lived up to his first name very well.

Turn Off Ads?