Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dmitri Young ... wow (extreme weight loss)

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Dmitri Young ... wow (extreme weight loss)

It's a real shame he couldn't do that during his playing career. He was one of the best pure hitters I've seen as a Red and could have had a much longer career.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

6'2" 150 lbs? I don't think that is all that healthy either.

4. Likes:

Falcon7 (07-29-2014), reds44 (07-28-2014), Slyder (07-28-2014)

He looks terrible. Lewdog is right.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Good for him losing that weight, that said he doesn't look healthier to me at all.

7. Likes:

KittyDuran (07-27-2014), Rojo (07-27-2014)

Dude looks bad. Moderation is key...in everything.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

No one has mentioned WHY he lost so much weight. He was probably scared to death by an incident a few years ago:

Two months later, though, he was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes after he lapsed into a coma in his Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., home.
    Falling into a coma will make you change your habits in a hurry. That's from a different article, but one highlighting his diabetes is linked below.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3277814

10. Likes:

Always Red (07-27-2014), BillDoran (07-28-2014), klw (07-28-2014), marcshoe (07-28-2014), mdccclxix (07-28-2014), OGB (07-28-2014), Roy Tucker (07-28-2014), tomnuetten (07-27-2014), westofyou (07-27-2014)

When you are used to seeing someone who is overweight and they lose a lot of it, they almost always look bad and old. But Young looks really bad for his weight loss. I wonder if he lost too much? It's good that he lost because he was dangerously overweight. I hope he is in better health now but honestly he looks like an advertisement for CARE.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I think he looks healthy. Shave that gray hair off his face and he would look younger. We are just so used to seeing people look to heavy that a thin person looks odd. 6'2 150 is not an unhealthy weight, esp considering most pro athletes who are listed at a taller height than they actually are.

13. Likes:

Always Red (07-28-2014)

It's simple. He looks like crap because he lost too much lean body mass. I assume he did an ungodly amount of cardio and very little resistance/strength training. Probably was convinced to cut out lean beef in favor of a raw veggie diet as well.
    "I got news for ya, Sugar Bear. We are going to be World Champions again. We are now going to be World Champions again!"

15. Likes:

Rojo (07-28-2014), TSJ55 (07-28-2014)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Number_Fourteen View Post
    It's simple. He looks like crap because he lost too much lean body mass. I assume he did an ungodly amount of cardio and very little resistance/strength training. Probably was convinced to cut out lean beef in favor of a raw veggie diet as well.
    Which is why he's wearing a shirt with "bacon" on the front.

I think he looks great, and looks 2x healthier than he did at 300lbs.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

He looks fine from this angle:

Name:  Bta5zGvCQAAX46K.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  35.4 KB

18. Likes:

bigredmechanism (07-29-2014), toledodan (07-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    No one has mentioned WHY he lost so much weight. He was probably scared to death by an incident a few years ago:

Falling into a coma will make you change your habits in a hurry. That's from a different article, but one highlighting his diabetes is linked below.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3277814

Also, untreated type two diabetes can trigger extreme weight loss. I had this happen to me a few years ago. I lost over 50 pounds, and my doctor told me that if I hadn't sought treatment, I would have died before long. The good new is that the weight is still off.

20. Likes:

BillDoran (07-28-2014), Falcon7 (07-29-2014), toledodan (07-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    He looks fine from this angle:

Name:  Bta5zGvCQAAX46K.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  35.4 KB
    He does look better, and well photos are not proof of anything other than the current light and shadow moment's rendering of a scene, however I can safely say he looks bad in the one that he's wearing a baseball uniform... probably because his shadow is catching so much light at that moment.

22. Likes:

Always Red (07-28-2014)

He should've just grown 8 inches taller

It looks like he has the biggest head I've ever seen.

Turn Off Ads?