Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dodgers WANT TO MAKE A GIANT SPLASH on the SP front

The Dodgers WANT TO MAKE A GIANT SPLASH on the SP front

They are looking at Hamels. Cueto is a better SP than Hamels, no doubt. MLBtraderumors mentioned that LAD could be willingly to give up BOTH Pederson and Seager to acquire a frontline ace. Walt needs to shop Cueto and ask for Seager/Pederson/J Urias. That would be a massive haul for the Reds and would extend our window.

Pederson would play LF next year
    Seager would be ready at some point in 2015
    J Urias could be developed without a rush.

We'd still have Bailey, Latos, Leake, Cingrani, Rasiel Iglesias and Stephenson. Not to mention Lorenzen, Lively, Corcino, Moscot, etc.

Hamilton, Frazier, Votto, Mesoraco, Bruce, Philliips, Pederson, Cozart

Adding Cueto to LA's rotation would immediately give them a WS Championship rotation. Kershaw, Cueto, Greinke, Ryu, Beckett. I would even add Broxton to the package in order to give LA an 8th inning guy to bridge the gap to Jensen.

Cueto and Broxton to LA for Pederson, Seager and Julio Urias. Walt should at least try.

2. Likes:

DocRed (07-28-2014), joshua (07-28-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Dodgers WANT TO MAKE A GIANT SPLASH on the SP front

That's a lot to give up but I'd be willing to strongly consider it when the depth of starters in the minors is taken into account. The team did win 90 games last year with Cueto out most of the season.

5. Likes:

powersackers (07-28-2014)

As a Reds AA season ticket holder, I approve this trade.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

7. Likes:

redsmetz (07-29-2014)

I'd rather deal Latos, for sure, but I like the haul.
    2015 Rotation: Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake, Cingrani

9. Likes:

Chip R (07-28-2014)

I love Cueto. He's my favorite Reds pitcher of my lifetime. But if the Dodgers would do that, and it's a big if, I'd do it. Cueto is very inexpensive next year relative to market rates, but he's going to get a massive pay day after next season and I think the Reds can win without him.

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-28-2014), Old school 1983 (07-28-2014), powersackers (07-28-2014)

I am starting to get a little worried about Cueto. He has been great this season but over the past 5 starts he is throwing a lot of pitches and not working late into games. I don't think he is being pitch efficient and am worried that he is going to tire throughout the rest of the year.

To further the discussion Cueto is "28" years old, in the 2nd to last year of a very friendly contract. He doesn't possess the body type that would age well, it doesn't mean that he won't, just that I wouldn't really bet on it. As much as I have enjoyed Johnny during his Reds career, I think it would be a mistake to give him a multi year contract based upon his worth after next season. Trading him now would bring about the most bang for the buck. If the Reds were able to get a good haul for Cueto they still could be competitive in the Central this season but would be better set going forward, especially after 2015.

13. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (07-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I love Cueto. He's my favorite Reds pitcher of my lifetime. But if the Dodgers would do that, and it's a big if, I'd do it. Cueto is very inexpensive next year relative to market rates, but he's going to get a massive pay day after next season and I think the Reds can win without him.
    Reports have been that LA has been reticent to include Pederson and Seager in deals for Price with TB and Lester with BOS. I'd definitely do it if the Dodgers would, but I wouldn't be the farm (unless someone else owned it).

The Reds would be in a MUCH BETTER position if we traded Cueto for this massive haul. We get 3 elite level prospects and shed payroll. This should be a no brainer. Our rotation in 2015 would be:

Latos
    Bailey
    Stephenson
    Cingrani
    Leake

AAA:
    Iglesias
    Moscot
    Lively
    Lorenzen

If Cozart struggles to start 2015, Seager will be ready. Then we would have the ability to trade Latos and Bruce in 2015 as well. Winker and Iglesias could step in late 2015.

16. Likes:

joshua (07-28-2014)

The Reds will have some very tough choices to make before next season. Do they keep the entire starting rotation as is and make a big run, or do they deal one or more of the 3 that are eligible for free agency after 2015. The logical thing would be to at least dangle them and see what they can come up with. It would be very, very unlikely this team could keep all 3 past next season. The obvious thing would to at least get the best haul you can for one of the 3 before next season to keep the teams competitive for the foreseeable future.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I doubt Cueto, given his age and injury history, could net both guys, but even with the return of pair of prospects like Seager/Pederson, watching a home-grown, CY-talent like Cueto help the Dodgers win a title would be a huge blow for an org trying to build momentum with a newer, younger fanbase. I know it'd leave a bad taste in my mouth. That is a tempting offer, likely gets the Rays listening on David Price.

It's too bad Latos was been hurt/ineffective thus far, because he'd be the one to move at this point.

19. Likes:

wheels (07-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    The Reds would be in a MUCH BETTER position if we traded Cueto for this massive haul. We get 3 elite level prospects and shed payroll. This should be a no brainer. Our rotation in 2015 would be:

Latos
    Bailey
    Stephenson
    Cingrani
    Leake

AAA:
    Iglesias
    Moscot
    Lively
    Lorenzen

If Cozart struggles to start 2015, Seager will be ready. Then we would have the ability to trade Latos and Bruce in 2015 as well. Winker and Iglesias could step in late 2015.
    Two problems:
    1. I don't think that Stephenson can be counted on as being ready in 2015 and
    2. Until we hear more about Cingrani's shoulder, I wouldn't count on him for next year either.

That being said if the Reds could bring in a FA stop gap veteran it would give some back end insurance. The result would be a weaker rotation in 2015 but positives int he long run.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11...ing-jon-lester
    • The starting-pitcher market is a wasteland. With the Rays unlikely to move David Price, with the Phillies' inflated asking price for Cole Hamels and with Cliff Lee's elbow and money issues, there's no available starter even close to Lester in either stature or impact.
    So the Red Sox have contacted every contender that's looking for a starter and let all of them know Lester could be available for a two- or three-player package fronted by at least one upper-echelon prospect. So just take all those Price-to-the-Dodgers/Mariners/Cardinals rumors and substitute Lester's name, and you'll be right on target. But while the asking price remains monstrous, it isn't quite what the Rays were asking for Price, either. "In the end, it has to be less," one rival executive said, "just because he's a free agent, and the other guy [Price] is not."

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post

Latos
    Bailey
    Stephenson
    Cingrani
    Leake

AAA:
    Iglesias
    Moscot
    Lively
    Lorenzen

No Simon?
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Sorry to rain on the parade, but...

Trading Cueto means a complete rebuild over the next few years. No way they contend without a true #1 ace.

And the Dodgers might be willing to trade one if those guys, but definitely not all three.
    Last edited by 757690; 07-28-2014 at 06:25 PM.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

24. Likes:

Crumbley (07-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Sorry to raib on the parade, but...

Trading Cueto means a complete rebuild over the next few years. No way they contend without a true #1 ace.

And the Dodgers might be willing to trade one if those guys, but definitely not all three.
    As was already pointed out, the Reds contended last season without Cueto for most of the season. The issue is if you don't trade at least one of the 3 due for FA after next season, you stand to lose all with only a draft pick as compensation.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

26. Likes:

Old school 1983 (07-28-2014)

Turn Off Ads?