Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Dodgers WANT TO MAKE A GIANT SPLASH on the SP front

Re: The Dodgers WANT TO MAKE A GIANT SPLASH on the SP front

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Strawman much?
    All snark aside, I think the Reds might "win" the trade, but will win more banners with Cueto, even just until 2015, than without him, but with Seager and Pederson from 2015-2020.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's time to think outside the box. I love Cueto. But I'm sure many Reds fans loved Lee May when the Reds moved him for Morgan and others. This organization has been treading water too long now. DO SOMETHING. Be aggressive and make this roster as a whole better. A few stars and a ton of scrubs will get you nothing. We need to build depth. I do this trade every day of the week, but I'm willing to bet Walt wouldn't even consider it, nor would Bob.

4. Likes:

Benihana (07-29-2014),joshua (07-28-2014)

Too bad Winker's hurt. I wonder if they'd bite on Broxton and Winker for Pederson. Reds move up the arrival date of their new left-fielder and get some salary space.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    In 1974 Joe Morgan, Tony Perez, Pete Rose and Johnny Bench were at their highest trade value of their careers at that point.

The goal of a portfolio is to have the biggest number possible. The goal of a baseball team is to win championships. if you want to win the Baseball Prosepctus WAR banner, go for it. I doubt the Reds would ever fly it, though
    Different era. That was pre free agency.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-29-2014)

Both are 25-50 ranked MLB prospects.
    Top 20 Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Top 20 Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus.
    I was going on the pre season list. Thanks for the correction. What are their current rankings, if you have them. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    It's time to think outside the box. I love Cueto. But I'm sure many Reds fans loved Lee May when the Reds moved him for Morgan and others. This organization has been treading water too long now. DO SOMETHING. Be aggressive and make this roster as a whole better. A few stars and a ton of scrubs will get you nothing. We need to build depth. I do this trade every day of the week, but I'm willing to bet Walt wouldn't even consider it, nor would Bob.
    I agree with all of this, except trading Cueto. A big shake up can be done with just about another player, and still be just as effective.

I agree with all of this, except trading Cueto. A big shake up can be done with just about another player, and still be just as effective.
    The point of this thread was the dodgers wanting to make a big splashy SP move.

Sure there are other things that can be done but no one on this roster has more value than Cueto right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don't see the Reds trading Cueto at all right now. Likely, their focus will turn to 2015 and they aren't giving up their best pitcher IMO.
    Thanks for a dose of reality.

Reds are going ALL-IN for 2015, not trading their Best Pitcher for prospects in 2014.

In case you all forgot, they also HOST the 2015 All-Star game... they want to be in the race then; they won't be trading ANY of our pitchers prior to that ASB. Only if they are totally out of it will they be sellers.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

13. Likes:

mdccclxix (07-28-2014)

I love watching Cueto. I wake up happy on the days when I know he's pitching.

And yet, he's an unaffordable luxury beyond this year and we can probably get by without him. If he would bring a huge haul from LAD, I think it's the right thing to do. If they'll take Broxton's salary for next year, all the better.

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Thanks for a dose of reality.

Reds are going ALL-IN for 2015, not trading their Best Pitcher for prospects in 2014.
    Yes. But I'll add that Pedersen, while a prospect, is ready to play now. He probably would be seeing the bigs if LA didn't have the GDP of a small country tied up in their outfield. He could help next year, or even this year. Seagar not as much. As for 17 year old pitchers? Whatever.

In the late 90s/early 00s, the Mariners moved on from Randy Johnson, then Griffey, then ARod. And in 2001, after all three stars were gone, they won 116 games.

17. Likes:

Redeyecat (07-29-2014)

This, to me, is the most important six months since we exited the dark era of the late 1990's and early to mid 2000's. If we don't at least attempt to see some type of return for Cueto and others (Chapman maybe) this next six months, I don't see much hope. If we ride out Cueto's contract or even sign him along with Latos, Chapman, and so on while still going with fillers in LF (until Winker is ready) and with no foreseeable relief at SS (to replace Cozart which I'm all for) and 2B (to ease BP out), then we will be hurting for a few years. As someone else stated, we need offense to compete in today's baseball. We have all the pitching in the world right now. We need to trade from our strength and help out Hamilton, Frazier, and Mesoraco. I don't see Votto and Bruce being able to carry a team to a division championship anymore. So we need to get help for this team because this offense isn't enough.

If somehow the FO pulls of this trade, it will extend our competitive window for the next 6 years. In 2015 at some point, our lineup could look like this:

Hamilton, Frazier, Votto, Mesoraco, Bruce, Phillips, Pederson, Seager. Then you'd have the ability to trade Bruce for a package as well. Winker could step in. The Reds would create flexibility and value with our roster.

JMO, I agree with you on this idea and I would do the trade, BUT, if (when) it doesn't happen that does not mean the FO failed. This hasn't even been mentioned as a rumor by the media. This was completely created in your mind, it is very possible the Dodgers have made it very clear to every other team those players aren't available or only Pederson is available.

Turn Off Ads?