Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dodgers WANT TO MAKE A GIANT SPLASH on the SP front

Re: The Dodgers WANT TO MAKE A GIANT SPLASH on the SP front

I would do it without hesitation. I would do it for Seager and either one of the other two. If you could add Broxton and get all three, that would be unbelievable. It is true that Cueto cannot be replaced in 2015. There is no guarantee that he will be a Red in 2016 anyway. If he is, at what price? The prospects of a 5/100+ deal scares me. Moreover, it's not like the minors are without pitching. IMO, a trade like this would make the Reds contenders for the next five or six years.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    As was already pointed out, the Reds contended last season without Cueto for most of the season. The issue is if you don't trade at least one of the 3 due for FA after next season, you stand to lose all with only a draft pick as compensation.
    That's actually making my point. If Cueto was healthy last year, they would have actually had a chance at winning the division and going deep into the playoffs. I shouldn't have said contending. I should have said, "had a chance of winning a championship."

I agree trading a starter or two would be wise, but Cueto is the guy you hold onto, if you want new banners to fly over GABP.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Would love to work Bailey in there instead of Cueto......even if you need to add prospects.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

5. Likes:

JaxRed (07-28-2014)

I love Johnny Cueto, it's a joy to watch him pitch but I'd make that deal without any sort of hesitation.

With the amount of money the Reds already have locked up in Votto, Bailey, Phillips, et al. and big paydays coming for Latos and Leake they desperately need an infusion of low cost, high ceiling players and the prospects the Dodgers can offer certainly fit that bill.

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    They are looking at Hamels. Cueto is a better SP than Hamels, no doubt. MLBtraderumors mentioned that LAD could be willingly to give up BOTH Pederson and Seager to acquire a frontline ace. Walt needs to shop Cueto and ask for Seager/Pederson/J Urias. That would be a massive haul for the Reds and would extend our window.

Pederson would play LF next year
    Seager would be ready at some point in 2015
    J Urias could be developed without a rush.

We'd still have Bailey, Latos, Leake, Cingrani, Rasiel Iglesias and Stephenson. Not to mention Lorenzen, Lively, Corcino, Moscot, etc.

Hamilton, Frazier, Votto, Mesoraco, Bruce, Philliips, Pederson, Cozart

Adding Cueto to LA's rotation would immediately give them a WS Championship rotation. Kershaw, Cueto, Greinke, Ryu, Beckett. I would even add Broxton to the package in order to give LA an 8th inning guy to bridge the gap to Jensen.

Cueto and Broxton to LA for Pederson, Seager and Julio Urias. Walt should at least try.
    I would do that deal. I'd also be interested in Alex Guerrero or Dee Gordon as a middle infielder. The Dodgers can't play both of them if they're going to re-sign Hanley. I'd have to be very sure that Latos would extend before dealing Johnny though.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-28-2014 at 06:44 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I don't get it. These guys are nice prospects, but they are far from sure things. Remember, around 50% of prospects in this range ever amount to much. I don't understand the desire to trade the team's MVP for some lottery picks.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    That's actually making my point. If Cueto was healthy last year, they would have actually had a chance at winning the division and going deep into the playoffs. I shouldn't have said contending. I should have said, "had a chance of winning a championship."

I agree trading a starter or two would be wise, but Cueto is the guy you hold onto, if you want new banners to fly over GABP.
    I don't agree that Cueto was the missing piece in 13 but that is beside the point. I wanted to chime in because your post did make me think more about a potential Cueto trade and add the disclaimer that IF they are confident they can afford and resign him then I agree and wouldn't trade him. OTOH if he is a year away from walking then you gotta pull the trigger on a package of two elite, near MLB ready prospects.

I also don't agree with your certainty that LA wouldn't do the deal. The Reds would be offering them a clear inside track to the WS and they (LA) are under a tremendous amount of pressure to win. I don't care what they say in public about trading Segar and Pederson, they would have to consider it if they thought they could legitimately get Cueto.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but...

Trading Cueto means a complete rebuild over the next few years. No way they contend without a true #1 ace.

And the Dodgers might be willing to trade one if those guys, but definitely not all three.
    Idk if I'm buying that. The Reds won 90 last year without much help from Johnny. Considering the offense the deal could add, it could end up the same way.

My heart tells me I'd rather they trim payroll around Cueto. Guys like Latos, Simon, Leake, and Broxton wouldn't net as big of a haul as Cueto, but the very thought of him in Dodger Blue is cloying to on old timer like me.

Cueto a Dodger? No way!
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

12. Likes:

Mitri (07-28-2014)

You gotta look at this years injuries and our future, this team cannot afford to have Latos, Leake, Bailey, and Cueto at 12million plus. In order to compete you have to have a balanced team. I truly feel we can go into next year with a rotation of: 1) Latos 2) Bailey 3) Leake 4) Simon 5) Cingrani/Stephenson/FA
    This is still a solid rotation and you can lock up Latos long term!!!! I would deal Cueto to the Dodgers for Joc Pederson and corey Saeger yesterday!!!

This deal would be one that I'd think long and hard about, if I were Walt...heck if you are willing to do it, may as well do it in style. Like has been noted, the Reds are gonna have to trade one or more pitchers, in the next year,(or risk losing them for nothing) and to be able to make a splash like this would be huge. Heck I'd bring up Pederson and Seager, the day deal is done, to try and add some spark to the end of this season.
    Cueto would be a big loss, but the return will definately pay out in the end.

I do like Cueto, but I'd do that trade. This team's got to change it's course some how, some way. I don't think the status quo get's it done...not with the current farm system. Pitching is the strength of the club.

But who am I kidding...I'm shocked if something that big happens with the Reds.

The one thing the Reds have missd during this current 4 year contending run is a true #1 Ace to get them deep into the playoffs. The only year they had one was 2012, and that Ace got hurt in the first inning of their first playoff game, and we all know how that turned out.

Now that the Reds have one, and he's healthy, and in his prime years, people want or get rid of him for some prospects.

Targeting these Dodger prospects is a smart move. Offering Cueto to get them isn't.

I just don't get it.

I just don't get it.
    If it is not (or you don't project it to be) feasible to sign him to a reasonable extension, then yes, you flip him for 2 top-25 prospects.

Cueto for 2015?

Or

Control of Pederson and Seager thru 2020?

I pick door #2.

18. Likes:

Marc D (07-28-2014), nmculbreth (07-29-2014), RED VAN HOT (07-28-2014), RedTeamGo! (07-28-2014), SirFelixCat (07-28-2014), SweetLou1990 (07-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    If it is not (or you don't project it to be) feasible to sign him to a reasonable extension, then yes, you flip him for 2 top-25 prospects.

Cueto for 2015?

Or

Control of Pederson and Seager thru 2020?

I pick door #2.

But I'd sign Cueto. If the Reds can only sign one out of Cueto, Latos and Leake, I'd sign Cueto, easy choice for me.

And to be honest, I'd still wouldn't trade Cueto for those two even if. I knew Cueto would be gone after 2015. Reds would get a draft pick for him which likely would be as valuable as one of those two. Which means:

Cueto through 2015 plus a top draft pick for

Two prospects, neither of whom have played an inning of major league ball.

Turn Off Ads?