Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Dodgers WANT TO MAKE A GIANT SPLASH on the SP front

Re: The Dodgers WANT TO MAKE A GIANT SPLASH on the SP front

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    But I'd sign Cueto. If the Reds can only sign one out of Cueto, Latos and Leake, I'd sign Cueto, easy choice for me.

And to be honest, I'd still wouldn't trade Cueto for those two even if. I knew Cueto would be gone after 2015. Reds would get a draft pick for him which likely would be as valuable as one of those two. Which means:

Cueto through 2015 plus a top draft pick for

Two prospects, neither of whom have played an inning of major league ball.
    1) How much Cueto would cost in dollars and years is relevant. If you simply say you'd sign him, that's not enough. Dollars and years please.

2) The comp pick from the Dodgers is not worth as much as either Seager or Pederson.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-28-2014), nmculbreth (07-29-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I LOVE Cueto but his trade value will never be higher. As a stock trader you always have to sell high no matter how good the stock is.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I LOVE Cueto but his trade value will never be higher. As a stock trader you always have to sell high no matter how good the stock is.
    Agreed. You will get burned every now and then. But that's how you build a powerful portfolio (team).

Isn't this the last year of Walt's extension? Why would he do this deal?

if I were running the show, I'd do Cueto for those two easily. If the Dodgers are shopping them both for pitching, we have an abundance. Get it done Walt...

But I have a feeling the Reds will do nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    1) How much Cueto would cost in dollars and years is relevant. If you simply say you'd sign him, that's not enough. Dollars and years please.

2) The comp pick from the Dodgers is not worth as much as either Seager or Pederson.
    1) it's not relevant, actually. We know the Reds have it In the budget to sign at least one of them. If you think they don't, they might as well fold up the franchise. But since this is your game, I'll play by your rules. Whatever they gave Bailey.

2) Both are 25-50 ranked MLB prospects. Seager taken in the first round (18th overall), Pederson in then 11th round. Odds are one of them becomes a decent MLB player. About the same odds a supplemental pick becomes a decent MLB player. Maybe a little better, but close. All of them are big risks.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

I don't see the Dodgers giving up their top three prospects for Cueto. No way. They only need 1 of them in a package to land either Lester or Price, and a couple lower ranked prospects (still high in their system - like top 20 or 25 guys). A more reasonable proposition might be Pederson, needed because he is ready in 2015, unlike Seager who is farther away, Zach Lee, Wendle or Chris Reed to add an arm back into the Reds system, and 2B/SS Darnell Sweeney. All are solid prospects. Urias is only 17 and I doubt they'll part with him - and he's too far away for the purpose of this deal. I'd want a prospect that will be ready by 2016 at the latest, pitching wise. Sweeney would add badly needed middle infield to the system. Him, Blandino, Thompson, Sparks and SMB would make the infield of the future look pretty good.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Agreed. You will get burned every now and then. But that's how you build a powerful portfolio (team).
    In 1974 Joe Morgan, Tony Perez, Pete Rose and Johnny Bench were at their highest trade value of their careers at that point.

The goal of a portfolio is to have the biggest number possible. The goal of a baseball team is to win championships. if you want to win the Baseball Prosepctus WAR banner, go for it. I doubt the Reds would ever fly it, though
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

10. Likes:

Crumbley (07-28-2014), Rojo (07-28-2014)

This is a snap accept trade if you are the Reds.
    DLC11@Insightbb.com

In 1974 Joe Morgan, Tony Perez, Pete Rose and Johnny Bench were at their highest trade value of their careers at that point.

The goal of a portfolio is to have the biggest number possible. The goal of a baseball team is to win championships. if you want to win the Baseball Prosepctus WAR banner, go for it. I doubt the Reds would ever fly it, though
    None of them were walking after 1975 either. Apples and oranges.

13. Likes:

Always Red (07-28-2014)

Strawman much?

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Isn't this the last year of Walt's extension? Why would he do this deal?

if I were running the show, I'd do Cueto for those two easily. If the Dodgers are shopping them both for pitching, we have an abundance. Get it done Walt...

But I have a feeling the Reds will do nothing. Absolutely nothing.
    So he could say, "Screw you Bavasi, I'm going home." [Walt = huge Cartman fan (little known fact)]

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-28-2014)

I don't see the Reds trading Cueto at all right now. Likely, their focus will turn to 2015 and they aren't giving up their best pitcher IMO.

I'd do that deal for Bailey. They might like a guy with a known contract....
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Cueto is an ace, that's a fact. But we are in a pitching heavy era. Hitting is at a premium. I'd trade any pitcher in the organization for two top 20 nearly major league ready hitting prospects.

20. Likes:

DocRed (07-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I'd do that deal for Bailey. They might like a guy with a known contract....
    No way would they or anyone do it for Bailey. Not near the pitcher Cueto is and a HEAVY long contract.

Turn Off Ads?