Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simon's outing today and the trade deadline

Simon's outing today and the trade deadline

Some speculation that Reds might want to trade Simon in any deal for offense.

If so, today's outing against the DBacks could be important.

It's only one outing, but buyers are looking for short term results so they may be influenced by today's performance.

Also the trade deadline could put more pressure on Simon, so it could influence how well he does.

Provides an interesting sub-plot to an otherwise fairly typical late July game against the DiamondBacks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Simon's outing today and the trade deadline

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Some speculation that Reds might want to trade Simon in any deal for offense.

If so, today's outing against the DBacks could be important.

It's only one outing, but buyers are looking for short term results so they may be influenced by today's performance.

Also the trade deadline could put more pressure on Simon, so it could influence how well he does.

Provides an interesting sub-plot to an otherwise fairly typical late July game against the DiamondBacks.
    If he was trade bait, he'd probably be scratched.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

4. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (07-30-2014)

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Only if they thought something was close as of today. Something could come in the 24 hrs. between the game today and the deadline.

But I don't think he'll be moved. I think they still think they can contend. I don't necessarily think that. I think they have to stay around .500 until Votto can come back and THEN go on a tear like they had in June, and I don't see it.

I would jump on the first decent offer for him.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

7. Likes:

Benihana (07-30-2014),dougdirt (07-30-2014),reds1869 (07-30-2014)

This is what the Reds are going to be doing through July 31st 4pm:

Name:  2012-05-06-pericardiumstretch_compulsiveiphonechecking.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  79.9 KB

9. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (07-30-2014),Stray (07-30-2014),toledodan (07-30-2014)

What are some thoughts on how much he would make for the Reds in 2015? (He's arbitration eligible.) The Reds might not want to deal someone who they think is not only a great value right now, but will bring great value in 2015 when the Reds could be poised to make a run at the big prize.

Simon won't be a free agent until 2016, not much need to squeeze as many starts out of him to get full trade value. It's not like Lester who will only be starting for the team that trade for him for two months.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    What are some thoughts on how much he would make for the Reds in 2015? (He's arbitration eligible.) The Reds might not want to deal someone who they think is not only a great value right now, but will bring great value in 2015 when the Reds could be poised to make a run at the big prize.
    Have to figure he is going to get paid quite a bit if he keeps this up.

I am not sure how interested teams will be in Simon. He has a good ERA and a lot of wins, but his last couple outings have been questionable, doesn't K a lot of people, is not young, and the last time he started he was a dumpster fire.

I love what Simon has done for the Reds this year, but I am trying to look at him from a rival GM's perspective.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB View Post
    July 30, 2004: Traded by the Philadelphia Phillies with Ricky Ledee to the San Francisco Giants for Felix Rodriguez.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    July 30, 2004: Traded by the Philadelphia Phillies with Ricky Ledee to the San Francisco Giants for Felix Rodriguez.
    Ah, I see that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    I think he is already at his highest value now (I actually think before AS break was highest, and going down now). I think he is a mirage, and wish we would have got rid of him for something of value while people saw that side. I think his performance drops significantly, and his last few starts have looked that way to me.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Simon won't be a free agent until 2016, not much need to squeeze as many starts out of him to get full trade value. It's not like Lester who will only be starting for the team that trade for him for two months.
    Presumably a team would trade for him because they felt he made them better.... Also, neither team would have an interest in risking an injury.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Presumably a team would trade for him because they felt he made them better.... Also, neither team would have an interest in risking an injury.
    Good points, but I don't see teams rushing to add Simon. In fact, he could traded after the deadline, if he isn't traded before it.

Btw, Price is starting today for the Rays, and getting hit hard.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

One reason to keep Simon, is if you're going to trade Latos or Leake. Somebody has to be in the rotation.

Turn Off Ads?