Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We didn't trade away our top prospects for some mediocre MLB'ers!

We didn't trade away our top prospects for some mediocre MLB'ers!

Some times a GM doesn't get credit for NOT making trades. We don't know what was offered, or what Walt tried to get. I'd prefer he value or "over value" the prospect than throw them around like some GM's. Look at the prospects Walt has traded (I may be missing some):

Alonso
    Grandal
    Torreyes
    Boxberger
    Gregorious
    Josh Roenicke
    Zach Stewart

Tell me which of those guys you'd love to have back from those trades? I think he (and his staff) have valued the prospects well. Sure, I would have liked a move or two (still time to do so), but I'm not ripping him to shreds today. His FO is quiet even when a deal is brewing. How long did you hear about Latos rumors before he was traded? Maybe for literally 5 minutes.

I'm glad we held on to our top guys. The reviews on Stephenson and Winker have been so strong that I'd like to see what they can do here, unless we really get a great player in return. Let's face it, past them, our system isn't all that deep. I'll give you Lorenzen and Lively as the only other two players that a team would ask for in return. I'm a big fan of others in our system, but if you are an opposing team's GM, you probably aren't asking for Ervin, Waldrop, Kivel, or others in that category.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: We didn't trade away our top prospects for some mediocre MLB'ers!

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post

Tell me which of those guys you'd love to have back from those trades?
    I get what you're saying and not arguing with the idea (or intent) behind especially the Latos and Choo trades. In fact, I'm in the opposite camp.

But playing devil's advocate... if you don't think Didi, Boxberger, or Torreyes would be useful to an organization with an unreliable bullpen and a fluid MI situation (because of Cozart's offense and BP's health), I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    I'm glad we held on to our top guys. The reviews on Stephenson and Winker have been so strong that I'd like to see what they can do here, unless we really get a great player in return. Let's face it, past them, our system isn't all that deep. I'll give you Lorenzen and Lively as the only other two players that a team would ask for in return. I'm a big fan of others in our system, but if you are an opposing team's GM, you probably aren't asking for Ervin, Waldrop, Kivel, or others in that category.
    I think other teams would have interest in Travieso, Ervin, SMB, Yorman, Rahier, Waldrop and Aquino. Top 100 prospects aren't the only guys that get traded.

That said, I'm certainly not upset that the Reds weren't buyers today. If anything, I think most people wish they would've been more creative and proactive in retooling and/or even selling.
    Go BLUE!!!

Yes we did keep all of our top prospects and didn't trade them for "mediocre" major league players. Problem is "Mediocre" would be a compliment for the major league team we are running out there on a daily basis right now. Would have liked to have seen some kind of movement. This team needs another bat even when everyone is healthy.

I would love to have Torreyes back in the system. A 21 year old 2nd baseman that can hold his own in aaa. That might be useful.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

You don't have to trade a top prospect to make a deal. In fact, Addison Russell is the only top 75 prospect who has been traded this year despite all the moves that have been made. Plenty of other teams find ways to improve their teams without "selling the farm".

Has anyone seen Brad Boxberger's stats for the season? He has been fantastic. His numbers are nearly as good as Aroldis Chapman's.

8. Likes:

joshua (07-31-2014)

There are several ways to fill a hole on the roster. Quite a few don't involve top prospets (or any prospects at all). Maybe things didn't come together at the trade deadline this year, but its been the same story for two full cycles - two full year cycles with basically the same issues and nothing done to address them. Walt deserves to be excoriated for neglecting this roster.

10. Likes:

joshua (07-31-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    You don't have to trade a top prospect to make a deal. In fact, Addison Russell is the only top 75 prospect who has been traded this year despite all the moves that have been made. Plenty of other teams find ways to improve their teams without "selling the farm".

Has anyone seen Brad Boxberger's stats for the season? He has been fantastic. His numbers are nearly as good as Aroldis Chapman's.
    Yeah....was pretty sure Boxberger was doing well.

It's been 23+ years....I'm ready to win another. Any year there is a chance I want something done in attempts to improve. I find it very lax not to do anything with a hole in LF and SS and then losing two main players.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Torreyes. Yes, I want him back.

Selling high on guys like Simon and Broxton wouldn't have cost any prospects.

14. Likes:

Benihana (07-31-2014),joshua (07-31-2014),Norm Chortleton (07-31-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    Selling high on guys like Simon and Broxton wouldn't have cost any prospects.
    Would've been the perfect time for Walt to pull off a Kent Bottenfeld-for-Jim Edmonds deal with Simon. Or Broxton. Or Leake.

And not for Jim Edmonds literally, that guy is a jerk.
    Go BLUE!!!

I don't think anyone wanted to trade top prospects for major leaguers, but from a position of strength (pitching) to acquire what is the team's main weakness (hitting). We can't compete with what we have. We don't need to rebuild or sell the farm, just balance the team and try to reload the upper level of our farm system a bit to extend the window we are in.

As of right now (on paper) the Reds have a shot at winning the division in 2015 and it gets pretty hairy after that. And with what we have now, I don't think we can go that far in the post-season next year, even if healthy.
    Last edited by joshua; 07-31-2014 at 08:52 PM.

It seems like everybody wanted the Reds to trade Simon because he isn't likely to keep up his 1st half results. His peripherals scream regression. But isn't it likely that every GM in the league also knows this? I'm guessing the best the Reds could have done was a C-level prospect and at that return Simon is more valuable to the Reds than taking a chance on someone who probably flames out in AAA.

18. Likes:

Big Klu (08-01-2014),HeatherC1212 (08-01-2014)

Walt told Jim Day the Reds were in buying mode, and the prospect cost would have been too high. If that's the case, I'm glad he didn't make a trade. I wouldn't have minded seeing them trade Latos for some almost-ready prospects who could produce next season, but it sounds like the title of this thread is accurate.

Someone on another thread wondered whether the Reds had asked about Chris Coughlin. It seems to me that this is the kind of move that could still be made as a waiver deal, and if they're really buyers, I'd rather see this than a big-splash move that would damage the future. They're a longshot this year, no matter what.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    It seems like everybody wanted the Reds to trade Simon because he isn't likely to keep up his 1st half results. His peripherals scream regression. But isn't it likely that every GM in the league also knows this? I'm guessing the best the Reds could have done was a C-level prospect and at that return Simon is more valuable to the Reds than taking a chance on someone who probably flames out in AAA.
    The Indians just turned a guy with a 5.5 something ERA and declining velocity into a top 10 prospect from the Cards system.

Hard to believe there weren't deals to be made.

21. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (08-01-2014),BoxingRed (08-01-2014),joshua (07-31-2014)

Turn Off Ads?