Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Impressed with the 2014 draft class

Impressed with the 2014 draft class

I know these are small samples, but I've been very impressed with the 2014 draft class thus far.

Some strong on-base focused bats and several power bullpen arms.

I think four of these guys are top 15 organizational prospects when we hit the offseason:

-Howard
    -Blandino
    -Sparks
    -LaValley

O'Grady and Bernadino could land somewhere in the top 25.

So, far impressive performances out of these guys:

Nick Howard (Limited action, but solid so far)
    Alex Blandino (Terrific start. Settling in at low A)
    Taylor Sparks (like Blandino, he seems like an on-base machine)
    Gavin (Big Valley) LaValley (Oklahoma legend continues to grow)
    Beef O'Grady (Best offensive performance of this draft group. On base 60 times in his first 36 games)
    Brian Hunter (1.36 ERA in 17 relief innings so far. 17 Ks, 5 walks)
    Garrett Boulware (.394/.471/.865 slash line in 23 games from this 21-year-old catcher)
    Jacob Moody (Lefty has 23 Ks in 15.2 innings. Wild though with 12 walks so far)
    Conor Krauss (Another strong bullpen arm. 17Ks and 1.42 ERA in 12.2 innings)
    Ty Sterner (Lefty reliever has 23 Ks and 14 walks in 17 innings)
    Brennan Bernadino (The most impressive pick in the draft so far, Bernadino has K'd 24 and hasn't allowed an earned run in 17 innings.)
    Michael Sullivan (16 Ks, 3 walks in 8.2 innings. 1.04 ERA)

2. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (08-03-2014), cumberlandreds (08-05-2014), Drugs Delaney (08-04-2014), REDREAD (08-04-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Impressed with the 2014 draft class

Same here, especially the LaValley "kid". Looks like a masher that can't "grow up" in terms of getting AB's soon enough. Blandino as well. Really loving this group of draftees so far.

I agree that this group is off to a good start, but let's not forget the cautionary tale of Phil Ervin. This time last year everyone was going ga-ga over that guy after he put up a 1000+ OPS in Billings and a 900+ OPS in a short stint at Dayton. Some were even ranking him up there with Jesse Winker as the best position player prospect in the system. One bad season later and suddenly he is the guy no one wants to talk about. Getting excited about guys who haven't completed a year of full-season ball usually ends up in disappointment a year or two down the road.

6. Likes:

JayBruceFan (08-05-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Soup View Post
    Taylor Sparks (like Blandino, he seems like an on-base machine)
    Disagree about Sparks.

He looks like pyrite to me. Sure, he's propped up his OBP by drawing a few walks, but 40 Ks in 129 PAs is ridiculous. He's obviously got some HUGE holes in his swing. Judging off what we have seen so far, he looks like a Russell Branyan type at best.

Good stuff. I have been higher on Blandino than most and think he is starting to show the reasons for optimism.

I actually think Blandino is a very important prospect for the Reds going forward because there is going to be a huge need for an inexpensive starting caliber middle IF and Blandino is the only guy in the system I feel has a good shot at filling that role. His success/failure will be key as he is a somewhat unique prospect in the Reds system imo.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (08-05-2014)

Turn Off Ads?