Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cubs Close to Trade for Dexter Fowler

Cubs Close to Trade for Dexter Fowler

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/0...ler-trade.html

Cubs Close To Dexter Fowler Trade
    By Charlie Wilmoth [January 19, 2015 at 9:42am CST]
    The Cubs are close to acquiring outfielder Dexter Fowler from the Astros, Bruce Levine of 670thescore.com tweets.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cubs Close to Trade for Dexter Fowler

Sigh

Does he displace Alcantara or Coghlan?
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

If this is for anything other than a highly touted Cubs prospect this will be a pretty epic Walt fail.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    If this is for anything other than a highly touted Cubs prospect this will be a pretty epic Walt fail.
    Not really. Fowler made 7.3 million last year and is going to arb after a pretty solid year (774 OPS)
    Would you be willing to dump Leake, Cueto or Bruce for prospects to fit him in the budget? Because that's probably the only way it works.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

This will make me upset if it happens...but the Cubs DO have more trade pieces than we do, so if they outbid us...fine. If they get him for very little...yeah, I'll be pissed because Fowler's a nearly perfect fit for us.

8. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (01-19-2015)

Stat geek...and proud

He's kind of a meh player for me anyway. Let them have him.

10. Likes:

Trajinous (01-20-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Not really. Fowler made 7.3 million last year and is going to arb after a pretty solid year (774 OPS)
    Would you be willing to dump Leake, Cueto or Bruce for prospects to fit him in the budget? Because that's probably the only way it works.
    Not really. The Astros have money...what they want is youth and pitching. If we were to OVERPAY with prospects a bit...Houston would eat some of that salary I'd nearly guarantee it.

I'm a bit surprised they're moving him at all. The way they've been talking about him lately around here it sounded like he was one guy they were considering extending.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    The Reds just dumped Latos and Simon to be able to add payroll and traded for Byrd and cash which pays his 2015 salary. I would be shocked if they could not add $7 mil right now.

Like I said, it depends on what the Cubs gave up for him, but if it is not much like less or equal to Ben Lively, it is a big fail.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    He's kind of a meh player for me anyway. Let them have him.
    He is quite a bit better than Marlon Freaking Byrd.

13. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (01-19-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    This will make me upset if it happens...but the Cubs DO have more trade pieces than we do, so if they outbid us...fine. If they get him for very little...yeah, I'll be pissed because Fowler's a nearly perfect fit for us.
    Then Castellini should have stepped up with the extra $5M. Lots of money coming off the books next year, and I'm opposed to signing Cueto anyway, so he could have made it up then. Fowler was everything the doctor ordered for us. A true leadoff hitter who's biggest weakness (defense) would have been covered by switching to LF in a small park.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Cubs, Astros Close To Dexter Fowler Trade

By Charlie Wilmoth [January 19, 2015 at 9:42am CST]

The Cubs are close to acquiring outfielder Dexter Fowler from the Astros, Bruce Levine of 670thescore.com tweets. The Astros will receive big-league players in return, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets, and one of those is pitcher Dan Straily, Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle notes (on Twitter). The Astros will also receive third baseman Luis Valbuena, Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports tweets.

Fowler, 28, hit .276/.375/.399 in 505 plate appearances in his first season in Houston in 2014, though he posted poor defensive numbers in center. He’s in his final season of arbitration eligibility and is seeking $10.8MM, with the Astros filing at $8.5MM

Dan Straily and Luis Valbuena? That's it? Haha...wowwwwww

Yes, I'm pissed. Because we could've and SHOULD'VE beaten that deal...with Houston eating most of the contract.

18. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (01-19-2015)

Yes, I'm pissed. Because we could've and SHOULD'VE beaten that deal...with Houston eating most of the contract.
    Epic Walt Fail.

Ben Lively by himself is worth more than Straily and Valbuena. Incredible.

Why would Houston eat most of the contract?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Epic Walt Fail.

Ben Lively by himself is worth more than Straily and Valbuena. Incredible.
    Does Ben Lively play 3B?
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

21. Likes:

757690 (01-19-2015),OGB (01-20-2015),Old school 1983 (01-19-2015),REDREAD (01-19-2015),reds1869 (01-19-2015)

Turn Off Ads?