Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rip robin williams

Re: Rip robin williams

Its a shame that a man who brought so much joy and laughter to so many couldn't find the joy for himself. May he at least find peace now and know that you will continue to bring joy and laughter to many for generations to come.

RIP Robin Williams
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Likes:

Stray (08-11-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I heard the news just awhile ago. He and George Carlin were my staples if I wanted to really laugh. And Bill Cosby. When he did his Falwell routine, even my Dad, a Baptist deacon, laughed so hard he cried. Such a waste. My thoughts and prayers to the family. We lost a unique personality today and we are lost.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

“You know, everybody dies. My parents died. Your father died. Everybody dies. I'm going to die too. So will you. The thing is, to have a life before we die. It can be a real adventure having a life”
    ― John Irving, The World According to Garp

7. Likes:

jimbo (08-12-2014),Old school 1983 (09-11-2014),redsfandan (08-23-2014)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Most comedians suffer from depression. It's almost a requirement for the job. Content, happy people aren't funny. Horrible to say, but I'm actually surprised this doesn't happen more often in the comedy world.
    So true. Seinfeld had/has his battles with it.

On the outside Robin was a comedic genius; but the well-spring of that genius was an internal "demon", a tortured soul that he was able to channel into something positive. He found an outlet for it. One of his idols/mentors was Jonathan Winters (whom I loved), and they were so much alike.... so spontaneous, so quick-witted, so real. I remember when Williams first came on the scene back in the 70s that even then I thought to myself "This guy is so crazy hilarious that something ain't right with him. There has to be to be this funny."

It's just so sad and tragic that the "demon" ended up getting the best of him. Simply a great loss, and he will be sorely missed.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I was sorry to hear about this news. At one time I really enjoyed him. I remember him most on Mork & Mindy and his appearances on Johnny Carson. He could really keep you laughing with his rapid fire routine. He was also a good serious actor too. The first one like that I saw him in was Dead Poets Society. I rented way back when and thought it was a comedy since Williams was in it. It was far from that. I'll never understand what leads these types of people down this path of destruction. If they only could realize the joy they give others they could maybe sustain themselves with that satisfaction. RIP Robin Williams.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Reports are that he hung himself:

http://lasvegas.cbslocal.com/2014/08...eath-no-words/
    According to Marin County Fire scanner audio obtained by CBS News, a dispatcher said it was an “apparent suicide attempt by hanging.”

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Most comedians suffer from depression. It's almost a requirement for the job. Content, happy people aren't funny. Horrible to say, but I'm actually surprised this doesn't happen more often in the comedy world.
    It happens a ton in the comedy world -- sometimes it's outright suicide like this, other times it's suicide by proxy with pills/drugs/alcohol (Chris Farley, Mitch Hedberg, Lenny Bruce, John Belushi, Greg Giraldo, etc.). Comedy, at it's root, is a defense mechanism -- deflecting of negative attention or perceived insecurities by making people focus on the laughter. For a lot of funny people, it becomes a wall they build around themselves; the only problem is that it can often get lonely behind the wall.

If you listen to comics talk candidly, a great number of them admit to hating themselves or major aspects of themselves. Many use that to mine material for their acts and use it to generate the public or stage persona they display to the world, but you can really only hate yourself for so long before it leads to destructive behavior.

RIP to Robin Williams. He was a comic genius in every sense of the word, and the world is a grayer place for having lost him.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-12-2014),757690 (08-12-2014),bigredmechanism (08-12-2014),kbrake (08-12-2014),RichRed (08-12-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    “You know, everybody dies. My parents died. Your father died. Everybody dies. I'm going to die too. So will you. The thing is, to have a life before we die. It can be a real adventure having a life”
    ― John Irving, The World According to Garp
    I was thinking, it's going to be extra hard to watch "Garp" and "Dead Poets Society" now. Such a shame, what a talent.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Doesn't get talked about enough, but he was money in "Death to Smoochy" as well.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I highly recommend reading @normmacdonald last twenty or so tweets. Too long to quote, but worth the time to check out, if you have it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/normmacdonald
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

17. Likes:

bigredmechanism (08-12-2014),Razor Shines (08-12-2014)

Apparently he did have financial trouble too

“All he could talk about were serious money troubles,” the friend told the website about a recent chat with Williams. “There were clearly other issues going on and Robin sounded distant during the telephone conversation.”
    The troubled Williams was even rattled by the impending resurrection of one of his most famous film creations, “Mr. Doubtfire,” the friend told RadarOnline.

“There was also frustration that Robin expressed at having to take television and movie roles he didn’t want to take, but had to for the paycheck,” the family friend said.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1900580

Of course by our standards he didn't have money problems but when you're depressed, these things get magnified and blown out of proportion. He was worried that his wouldn't have much left in his kid's trust fund. I know that would not bother my parents one bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Doesn't get talked about enough, but he was money in "Death to Smoochy" as well.
    Fisher King was underrated as well.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Koko loved him... he was hairy

Attachment 7760

21. Likes:

Larkin Fan (08-12-2014)

Turn Off Ads?