Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 8/19/2014 Reds @ Cardinals

Re: 8/19/2014 Reds @ Cardinals

The Reds are carrying an extra reliever right now, Hoover really, really, needs to go down when Holmberg comes up to be the 5th starter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    I don't believe that would be anywhere near as common as you make it sound.

That said, if you are trying that, it would be with a closer that can go an inning plus, I don't think that fits Broxton anymore.

With Ondrusek blowing last night's game, it was obviously Hoover's turn.

With the shape of the bullpen, and in a tie game, I'm guessing the Reds needed length from Hoover tonight.

I think Contreras would have been needed for multiple innings too.
    Length? Sure. But the kid is massively struggling, obviously under great pressure, has to face Holliday, Adams, Peralta.

I'm not a baseball manager but I wouldn't manage that way. Hoover needed lower leverage situations, not that.

Just not happy how that went down.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg39 View Post
    No kidding!! These last few days have been brutal, Redlegs can't hold a lead to save their lives! And obviously the disappointing news in Columbus. I've got faith in those Bucks though!
    If Ohio State has a great talent you can almost guarantee something will happen (freak injury -Beanie, Byars, free tattoos-TP, misc- MoC, C. Carter, etc. etc.) and they will miss significant time or never play again. And looks like the Reds now have caught the bug.

As for how well their chances are now, well with 4 new OL, a rookie QB and TB, and two 1st round picks gone from a bad D, I'm just not seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Length? Sure. But the kid is massively struggling, obviously under great pressure, has to face Holliday, Adams, Peralta.

I'm not a baseball manager but I wouldn't manage that way. Hoover needed lower leverage situations, not that.

Just not happy how that went down.

Hoover was needed tonight, and there was no low leverage situation for any of the relievers tonight.

I'm not happy about it either really, but the bullpen is a disaster right now. There are literally zero choices to feel great about.

6. Likes:

Red Raindog (08-20-2014)

Price seriously looks like he wants to cry.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    Price seriously looks like he wants to cry.
    Maybe he feels bad for having to put Hoover through that.

Or maybe he looks emotional when he is po'd, or frustrated.

There is something particularly dispiriting about losing games like this where you have the lead going into the 8th or ninth. It looks like you should win, and then the bullpen blows the game, and the other team is celebrating their walk off victory. This is 4 games in a row of this type, and man, I have lost all hope for the Reds this year.

Hoover has allowed earned runs in 9 of his last 14 appearances dating back to July 10th. In those 14 games, he pitched 17 and 2/3 IP, and gave up 8 BBs, 17 hits, and 3 HRs.

For the season, Hoover has given up earned runs in 20 out of 45 appearances. His ERA seems lower than it should be, and tonight is a good example. He faced five batters, and only retired the last guy in the 8th (barely). He left the bases loaded, and only got charged with one earned run. He pitched much worse than that, and his stats were rescued by the game ending with bases loaded and nobody out.

Why not let Parch have a chance? I don't understand....
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

With this bullpen, the Reds will be very lucky to win 76 games. From 90 wins to 76 wins. How quickly they fall.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Also, I'm getting sick of hearing the talking head talking about the wild card. Reds are now 5.5 games out of the wild card with five teams to jump. Ain't gonna happen. Let's just concentrate on winning a couple of games
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

12. Likes:

Redsfansince72 (08-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Also, I'm getting sick of hearing the talking head talking about the wild card. Reds are now 5.5 games out of the wild card with five teams to jump. Ain't gonna happen. Let's just concentrate on winning a couple of games
    Who is talking wild card? I shut it off, serious?

With this bullpen, the Reds will be very lucky to win 76 games. From 90 wins to 76 wins. How quickly they fall.

It's very reminiscent of 2011, when they failed to reach .500 after going to the playoffs in 2010.

The buttons Dusty pushed weren't able to work.

Injuries to the rotation, and lineup set everybody back then as well.

Let's hope it forces some changes like 2011 did.

90 to 76 wins happens when you go

Votto - 3 months
    Chapman - 6 weeks
    Latos - 8 weeks
    BP- 5 weeks
    Bruce - 3 weeks
    Mesoraco -5 weeks
    Bailey - 3 weeks
    Broxton - 2 weeks

16. Likes:

PepperJack (08-20-2014)

watch the Cubs sweep them at home... they are playing better since making moves with their rookies

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post

Votto - 3 months
    Chapman - 6 weeks
    Latos - 8 weeks
    BP- 5 weeks
    Bruce - 3 weeks
    Mesoraco -5 weeks
    Bailey - 3 weeks
    Broxton - 2 weeks
    Ans when your GM doesnt go get true help that also should be on the list

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post

Votto - 3 months
    Chapman - 6 weeks
    Latos - 8 weeks
    BP- 5 weeks
    Bruce - 3 weeks
    Mesoraco -5 weeks
    Bailey - 3 weeks
    Broxton - 2 weeks

It's easier for some fans to ignore all that, and blame the manager/GM, and call it a day. Or, even worse, say that everybody just sucks, and the Reds should blow it up.

This team needs health, a LF/SS, an upgrade to the 5th starter/BP, and a new 3B coach to compete next season.

20. Likes:

dubc47834 (08-20-2014),kbrake (08-20-2014),Tom Servo (08-20-2014)

Turn Off Ads?