Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1.5 back at the ASB to 10 back now

1.5 back at the ASB to 10 back now

And still no changes being made.

I truly think this window closed after 2012, and instead of recognizing/reacting. Walt/Bob decided to double down with 13 against a King. A stupid bet no one should ever make and now they seem shocked by what's happening.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 1.5 back at the ASB to 10 back now

we can only hope fans start writing BOB about this lack of attention to the teams needs and the failure to get to the next level.. and if he rehires Walt, he is happy just having a team.. NOT winning A World Series as he said he would bring here.. I am only gooing to one more game(ticket already bought and seeing old friends).. why waste my money on this mess??

Remember how Castellini blamed the media for reporting on how bad the offseason was and how it would affect ticket sales?

Changes? They have a solid team that has been wracked by injuries. When they finally got healthy, they surged. Then they lost their 2 best players and team leaders. It's gone (pretty predictably) down hill. Just not their year. The roster needs to be tweaked in the off season, not blown up. Not sure what kind of meaningful "changes" you expect...in August.

6. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Red View Post
    Changes? They have a solid team that has been wracked by injuries. When they finally got healthy, they surged. Then they lost their 2 best players and team leaders. It's gone (pretty predictably) down hill. Just not their year. The roster needs to be tweaked in the off season, not blown up. Not sure what kind of meaningful "changes" you expect...in August.
    The Cardinals lost a All-Star Catcher and went and got another one.. they lost 2 pitchers to the DL, and were proactive to go get pitching.. The Reds NEVER are proactive when there is a need.. Remember last year with Byrd??? Cant tell me the Reds would have coasted the last week of the season and 1 game playoff if they got him... Would have sparked the team.. cant tell me this team has any spark knowing the teams in front of them went and got help, where Walt stayed alseep AGAIN ths offense has needed help for 2 seasons and Walt has done nothing.. Since losng Choo, they needed a huge bat in the middle of the lineup.. they did nothing..

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Smokey View Post
    Remember how Castellini blamed the media for reporting on how bad the offseason was and how it would affect ticket sales?
    sad when the truth hurts... what he going to say in September??

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfansince72 View Post
    The Cardinals lost a All-Star Catcher and went and got another one.. they lost 2 pitchers to the DL, and were proactive to go get pitching.. The Reds NEVER are proactive when there is a need.. Remember last year with Byrd??? Cant tell me the Reds would have coasted the last week of the season and 1 game playoff if they got him... Would have sparked the team.. cant tell me this team has any spark knowing the teams in front of them went and got help, where Walt stayed alseep AGAIN ths offense has needed help for 2 seasons and Walt has done nothing.. Since losng Choo, they needed a huge bat in the middle of the lineup.. they did nothing..
    I wish there was some way to refute this. I want to. I really, really want to. I can't.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Red View Post
    Changes? They have a solid team that has been wracked by injuries. When they finally got healthy, they surged. Then they lost their 2 best players and team leaders. It's gone (pretty predictably) down hill.
    What about Dodgers?

Clayton Kershaw
    Hyun-Jin Ryu
    Josh Beckett
    Hanley Ramirez
    Juan Uribe
    A.J. Ellis
    Carl Crawford
    Brian Wilson
    Paul Maholm
    Chris Perez
    Chris Withrow
    Paco Rodriguez
    Chad Billingsley

They have all gone on the DL at least one time.

And what about Yankees?
    They are missing Tanaka, Sabathia, Nova, Pineda(4 starters) to injuries , and Beltran and Teixeira also missed significant time with injuries. McCann had also missed some games with a concussion.

It seems to me that many fans here think that the Reds would be legitimate contenders if not for the injuries.
    I don’t think so. Even if they are 100% healthy, the offense is still bad and simply not good enough for them to be a legitimate contender.

Right now, they are 28th in OBP and wRC+ in major and that OBP certainly reflects Votto’s .390 OBP in 62 games. Where would their OBP have been ranked if Votto had played in all 126 games this season? 22th? 21th?

You can also add to that the fact that Mesoraco is not a .350 OBP guy. He will regress and is regressing right now.

Finally, I think you also have to consider that even at 100%, Bruce’s production at the plate will be hit by the rise of defensive shifts.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/13/sp...be-nobody.html

From 2010 to 2013, infield shifts steadily increased, according to research by Baseball Info Solutions, which tracks every shift and the number of runs it saves. But from 2013 to this season, the rate of shifting in the major leagues has mushroomed.

Last year there were 8,134 shifts on balls in play. Through the weekend, teams had already shifted 3,213 times, putting them on pace for nearly 14,000 for the season. Teams that shift regularly are lowering opposing teams’ batting averages by 30 to 40 points on grounders and low line drives.
    Bruce’s 2013 BABIP
    Without shift on: .375
    With shift on: .237

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I wish there was some way to refute this. I want to. I really, really want to. I can't.
    Actually, it's very easy to refute.

The players the Cards got to replace their injured players have been terrible, likely hurting their chances at winning more than helping.

A.J has been bad defensively, with a .679 OPS
    Lackey 5.40 ERA
    Masterson 6.30 ERA

And that cost the Cardinals three very good young players.

If the Reds made those moves, everyone would be wanting Walt's head even more than they do now.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (08-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by arctictokyo View Post
    It seems to me that many fans here think that the Reds would be legitimate contenders if not for the injuries.
    I don’t think so. Even if they are 100% healthy, the offense is still bad and simply not good enough for them to be a legitimate contender.

Right now, they are 28th in OBP and wRC+ in major and that OBP certainly reflects Votto’s .390 OBP in 62 games. Where would their OBP have been ranked if Votto had played in all 126 games this season? 22th? 21th?

You can also add to that the fact that Mesoraco is not a .350 OBP guy. He will regress and is regressing right now.
    Reds were 1.5 games out of first when Phillips want down. Your narrative that they aren't a good team when healthy just doesn't fly with the facts. But since you're probably not a Reds fan, it's understandable that you're aware of these facts.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Reds have scored more runs and allowed fewer runs than the Cardinals this year. They've lost 31 1 run games. To think having Votto wouldn't help that is crazy.

It just hasn't been a good year. It happens. The injuries started early and never quit. The ball never seemed to bounce the right way. It sucks to have a year like that but the Reds will go into next year with one of the most talented rosters in baseball again.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (08-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Reds were 1.5 games out of first when Phillips want down.
    Phillips' wRC+ is below 100 (90) and his Off is -6.8.
    Simply speaking, he's a worse offensive player than even Hamilton(91 and 1.2).

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    But since you're probably not a Reds fan, it's understandable that you're aware of these facts.
    I'm a Reds fan, but at the same time, I admit that I'm a lesser fan than you who make no bones about telling a lie and manipulates the sample size of statistics for Hamilton.

If you root too hard for one team, people who are sick of the homerism start rooting against that team.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimJim11 View Post
    Reds have scored more runs and allowed fewer runs than the Cardinals this year. They've lost 31 1 run games. To think having Votto wouldn't help that is crazy.
    Reds - .243 .301 .375 87 wRC+ (28th)
    Cards - .254 .320 .374 96 wRC+ (15th)

I guess the Cards weren’t too lucky.

Turn Off Ads?