Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jocketty Expected To Remain Reds GM-Per Rosenthal

Jocketty Expected To Remain Reds GM-Per Rosenthal

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/w...a-russa-082314

Forget about the possibility of a Tony La Russa-Walt Jocketty reunion in Arizona.
    Jocketty, completing the final year of his contract with the Reds, is expected to remain the team's general manager, according to major-league sources.

There never has been indication that Jocketty wants to leave Cincinnati, or that owner Bob Castellini wants him out.

Jocketty, 63, will need to navigate the team through a challenging juncture; all of the Reds' starting pitchers but Homer Bailey are eligible for free agency after the 2015 season, and at least one is expected to be traded this winter.
    By staying with the Reds, Jocketty would agree to perform the necessary restructuring and take another shot once first baseman Joey Votto and second baseman Brandon Phillips are healthy next season.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (08-23-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jocketty Expected To Remain Reds GM-Per Rosenthal

I was hoping they would go with someone more inclined to use metrics when making decisions. Somebody who's recognized the trends in the game and willing to adapt, or someone with experience navigating a team with a limited payroll in a small market.

Oh well, I guess it could be worse.

5. Likes:

Red Raindog (08-23-2014)

Glad to see it, guy has done nothing but win where ever he has been. Bad luck with injuries this year, we will bounce back next year.

7. Likes:

BillDoran (08-23-2014), Old school 1983 (08-23-2014), REDREAD (08-23-2014), redsmetz (08-23-2014)

Walt may be back but this will be an important offseason for him. If he doesn't make enough good moves and the Reds don't make the playoffs next year I doubt he'll be the Reds gm in 2016.

It's up to him. I've been critical of some things he's done and hasn't done but hopefully he DOES have a good offseason for the Reds sake.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 08-23-2014 at 12:28 PM.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Meh, most likely wouldn't have cared for Castellini's choice of replacement anyhow. Maybe this train wreck of a season will spur Walt and (especially) Castellini to address the lingering issues on this roster. Wouldn't bet the duplex, but one can hope.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 08-23-2014 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Meh, most likely wouldn't have cared fot Castellini's choice of replacement anyhow. Maybe this train wreck of a season will spur Walt and (especially) Castellini to address the lingering issues on this roster. Wouldn't bet the duplex, but one can hope.
    I feel the same way. Cast doesn;t strike me as the type to go to a younger metric minded GM. He'd reach into the organization and pull out a Bavasi.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Oh... Walt Jocketty is the GM still?

I thought the spot was vacant.

12. Likes:

Artificial Red (08-23-2014), Beltway (08-23-2014), Big Red Smokey (09-06-2014), BluegrassRedleg (08-23-2014), cincinnati chili (08-24-2014), cinredsfan2000 (08-25-2014), Slyder (09-06-2014), The Operator (09-07-2014)

Haunted by walks

I understand why Walt will never act as viscerally as we fans would, but it occurred to me that in July alone, the Cardinals traded for John Lackey, Corey Littrell and Justin Masterson and signed A.J. Pierzynski. When Molina went down, they got Pierzynski.

But then, is that a good thing?

14. Likes:

757690 (08-23-2014)

Did someone have to wake up Walt to tell him the news?
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

16. Likes:

Big Red Smokey (09-06-2014), Rojo (09-08-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Did someone have to wake up Walt to tell him the news?
    Absolutely not. Orders were only to wake him if he was not going to be re-upped. If the status quo remains, he requests not to be disturbed.

18. Likes:

BillDoran (08-23-2014), cinredsfan2000 (08-25-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Meh, most likely wouldn't have cared fot Castellini's choice of replacement anyhow. Maybe this train wreck of a season will spur Walt and (especially) Castellini to address the lingering issues on this roster. Wouldn't bet the duplex, but one can hope.
    This is said like the Reds have a ton of issues with the roster. I think LF is the big obvious one we can all agree on but outside of that I don't see a ton of issues. I know a lot of people want to see an upgrade at SS but I think that will be far more difficult than people realize.

20. Likes:

redsmetz (08-23-2014)

I think everyone realizes how difficult it would be to upgrade SS, doesn't mean it's impossible, and doesn't mean it shouldn't be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    This is said like the Reds have a ton of issues with the roster. I think LF is the big obvious one we can all agree on but outside of that I don't see a ton of issues. I know a lot of people want to see an upgrade at SS but I think that will be far more difficult than people realize.
    Never meant in any way that there were tons of problems (numerically) by any means. Moreso that the problems they do have (wasting resources on LF, SS, the bullpen and bench on inferior options) have been allowed to fester for far too long and (could) should have been addressed two years ago.

Attachment 7804
    Last edited by corkedbat; 08-23-2014 at 03:04 PM.

23. Likes:

kbrake (08-23-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    I was hoping they would go with someone more inclined to use metrics when making decisions. Somebody who's recognized the trends in the game and willing to adapt, or someone with experience navigating a team with a limited payroll in a small market.

Oh well, I guess it could be worse.
    I really don't think Jocketty is out of touch with the newest stats, at least not compared to most other GM's or likely GM candidates.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I understand why Walt will never act as viscerally as we fans would, but it occurred to me that in July alone, the Cardinals traded for John Lackey, Corey Littrell and Justin Masterson and signed A.J. Pierzynski. When Molina went down, they got Pierzynski.

But then, is that a good thing?
    It's effort. They get constant high marks for trying, better or worse.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Turn Off Ads?