Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Hard Drive syncing software?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Hard Drive syncing software?

I just grabbed a second external hard drive to back up another external hard drive that has all of my family photos, baseball photos/videos and a few other important documents on it. I'd like to have the two be synced up when both are plugged in. I'd love to have free software if available, but if I had to I would pay a little bit for it. My plan is to keep one off site and just plug it in every other week, sync it, then send it on it's way just in case there's a fire or theft or something of that nature so that I still have all of it.

I know some of you guys work in the tech field, so I thought I would reach out and see if anyone had any suggestions. Thanks guys (and gals).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hard Drive syncing software?

So, I tried out Crashplan, but it encrypts all of the data on the second drive, and I don't really want or need that. I simply need a "file copier" that also syncs changes from Drive A to Drive B when both are plugged in.

Any ideas?

Not savvy on backup software, but do use some some free services like Dropbox that actually store data in the cloud and locally. I really like it. Use some other free storage like Amazon and Microsoft. You can easily get 10-15 gigs free. Let me know if you want to try Dropbox. We can both can get some extra free space if you do.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 08-27-2014 at 12:13 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Not savvy on backup software, but do use some some free services like Dropbox that actually store data in the cloud and locally. I really like it. Use some other free storage like Amazon and Microsoft. You can easily get 10-15 gigs free. Let me know if you want to try Dropbox. We can both can get some extra free space if you do.
    If only I had that small amount of data. My current backup needs are about 500GB. I'm backing up all of my family photos, personal photos and baseball photos/videos that I have used for the site over the years. It's a crapton of data (HD Video is pretty big and my raw unedited photos are about 20-30 MB each and I have thousands).

I assume you're using Windows. Have you tried SyncToy? I've found it to be pretty handy at times. I use it to backup some essential files on my HTPC.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    I assume you're using Windows. Have you tried SyncToy? I've found it to be pretty handy at times. I use it to backup some essential files on my HTPC.
    I will give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.

Worked like a charm. Thanks a ton.

No problem, glad it worked.

10. Likes:

dougdirt (08-30-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If only I had that small amount of data. My current backup needs are about 500GB. I'm backing up all of my family photos, personal photos and baseball photos/videos that I have used for the site over the years. It's a crapton of data (HD Video is pretty big and my raw unedited photos are about 20-30 MB each and I have thousands).
    I know you solved this, but for the benefit of anyone else reading, I have 1,029 GB of space on Dropbox. One of my favorite services, has completely eliminated any worry I have about losing computer in a house fire, laptop getting stolen, etc.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

12. Likes:

dougdirt (08-30-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I know you solved this, but for the benefit of anyone else reading, I have 1,029 GB of space on Dropbox. One of my favorite services, has completely eliminated any worry I have about losing computer in a house fire, laptop getting stolen, etc.
    I had actually thought about going to their new plan since they upgraded (I think it happened the day I originally posed the question). One reason I stayed away from it is that if something were to happen to me, my family would know how to plug in my hard drive and browse folders (my external is very easy to navigate - Go to Pictures, then Friends and Family). I don't know that they would ever figure out dropbox.

You just helped me out a ton though. As I typed that out, I realized that even if that scenario were to play out, they wouldn't have a clue how to actually view the pictures. For the family photos I need to convert them from the raw format to JPG. I'm sure they don't care much about the rest of my photos.

Off your topic but I can't start a thread anywhere other than game threads?

I keep getting this message....

Help? Thanks

Turn Off Ads?