Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your choice for Minor League Player and Pitcher of the Year

Your choice for Minor League Player and Pitcher of the Year

This is off the top of my head, without checking all the stats but I would think Waldrop for the hitter and Lively for the pitcher. I think the Winker injury coupled with bad numbers in his short AA stint keep him from getting it. I might think Travieso, but I kind of recall they rewards guys at a slightly higher level.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Your choice for Minor League Player and Pitcher of the Year

Marquez Smith for hitter
    Lively for pitcher

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The Reds give out a Hitter of the Year, Pitcher of the Year and a Player of the Year.

I think they will go with Waldrop for Player of the Year. The others are tougher to call.

Lively and Travieso have similar IP/ERA. Lively did his at a higher level, but also went to AA and posted a 3.88 ERA and walked a bunch of guys. Does that get Travieso the nod? Don't know.

Marquez Smith should be hitter of the year, but will they give the award to a 29-year-old non-prospect? From the fullseason guys, he's really the only guy that played a full year and hit over .300 (Ross Perez did as well, but as a catcher he barely got 300 PA). An off the wall idea would be to give it to Aristides Aquino, though I don't know the last time they gave any of the awards to short season guys.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Marquez Smith should be hitter of the year, but will they give the award to a 29-year-old non-prospect?
    I think it would send a pretty crappy message to the 'organizational players' in the system if they didn't give it to him. Organizational guys may not be glamorous, but they are vital to player development. You need the Crash Davis-types sprinkled throughout the system to mentor the Nuke Lalooshes. Smith provided an excellent example to his younger teammates this year on what it means to be a professional. He deserves recognition.

6. Likes:

mace (09-03-2014),OGB (12-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I think it would send a pretty crappy message to the 'organizational players' in the system if they didn't give it to him. Organizational guys may not be glamorous, but they are vital to player development. You need the Crash Davis-types sprinkled throughout the system to mentor the Nuke Lalooshes. Smith provided an excellent example to his younger teammates this year on what it means to be a professional. He deserves recognition.
    Oh I agree. I'm just thinking that one, he's a free agent, so if they don't re-sign him, are they going to bring him in to Redsfest to give him the award?

hitter -- Waldrop

player -- Mr. Smith

pitcher -- Travieso

I love what Waldrop did this year--proving himself in AA after tearing up the California League--but, man, Marquez Smith can't be denied. He led the Cal League in OBP, OPS, and RBIs. Hit 30 homers. Drove in 131. Gotta give the man his due.

On the pitchers, I'm torn. I honestly believe the best season, all things considered, was produced by Lorenzen. He not only transitioned to starter, but did it in Double-A, and put up a 3.13 ERA. It was rather remarkable. But then, so was Lively's half-season in Bakersfield. Overall, Travieso's numbers were very comparable to Lively's. Lorenzen's were just a tick behind the other two. So, while I was most impressed by Lorenzen, the realistic choice comes down between Lively and Travieso; and I'd have to lean toward Lively, for the splash he made.
    Last edited by mace; 09-04-2014 at 10:46 AM.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (09-04-2014)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Could an argument be made for Amir Garrett for pitcher of the year?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I don't think so. He wouldn't even beat Travieso for Dayton's Pitcher of the Year for me...
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I don't think so. He wouldn't even beat Travieso for Dayton's Pitcher of the Year for me...
    Agreed. Travieso had more innings, a lower ERA and a lower WHIP. Garrett had one more start, 14 more strikeouts and 7 more walks. It's close-ish, but Travieso has a decent sized advantage in ERA and threw more innings in fewer starts.

Within the system I think it's a three horse race for Pitcher of the Year with Lorenzen, Lively and Travieso depending on exactly what you want to favor when it comes to your stat preference.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Agreed. Travieso had more innings, a lower ERA and a lower WHIP. Garrett had one more start, 14 more strikeouts and 7 more walks. It's close-ish, but Travieso has a decent sized advantage in ERA and threw more innings in fewer starts.
    It's not even close once you take into account 14-5 (Travieso) versus 7-8 (Garrett). Win/loss record may be almost useless for player evaluation, but it carries a lot of weight when it comes to post-season awards.

Within the system I think it's a three horse race for Pitcher of the Year with Lorenzen, Lively and Travieso depending on exactly what you want to favor when it comes to your stat preference.
    Yes -- I first chose Lorenzen, then Travieso. Now I think Lively. Basically a three-way tie.

Pitcher - Lorenzen

Hitter - Waldrop

Resident PED Expert

Hitter - Waldrop

Pitcher - Lively

Player - Smith

I would almost bet a check that's how the Reds do it. Give Smith a bone but still reward Waldrop for his outstanding year.

BTW he was my breakout player last year. I was only one year off. So I am totally giving myself unfounded credit. His power was actually better in the Southern League especially considering park factors. I would imagine if it continues to develop he could be a 20 to 30 HR guy in GABP.

Something tells me we will be having a Waldrop or Winker thread in the next 365 days.

BTW the answer to the Stubbs or Heisey thread was neither.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (09-04-2014),Tom Servo (09-04-2014),WrongVerb (09-04-2014)

For now I say:
    Pitcher- Travieso - he gets the nod over Lorenzen due to 20 more innings thrown
    Hitter- Smith- best hitting numbers in the system this season and the Reds haven't always gone with prospects for these awards.
    Player- probably Waldrop but I would have to look more. I think it is more likely that a "prospect" comes here.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

Turn Off Ads?