Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ron Washington steps down in Texas

Ron Washington steps down in Texas

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/932343...ington-resigns

Rangers president of baseball operations and general manager Jon Daniels issued the following statement: "Ron Washington informed us today that he has chosen to resign as Rangers manager in order to turn his full attention to addressing an off-the-field personal matter. Out of respect for Ron's privacy, the Rangers will leave any comment on the details to him.

"While we are disappointed, we accept Ron's decision and are grateful for his many contributions to the Rangers organization over the last eight years. This has certainly been a difficult season for our major league club in terms of on-field performance, but we were looking forward to moving ahead with Ron as our manager in 2015.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; 09-05-2014 at 04:44 PM.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ron Washington steps down in Texas...until next season

Note the Rangers are saying they were looking forward to moving on with Ron, not that they are.

Immediate speculation will be whether this is drug related because of his history.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/n...ory?id=5629215
    Washington offered to resign. But he says he told both men: "The thing I want you to do for me the most is help me preserve my career. My reputation." Daniels and Ryan told him they had to do some investigating, and they'd get back to him on the off day.

"He broke down over it," Ryan says. "The realization set in that he might have destroyed what he had always wanted to be, which was a major league manager. But he was willing to do whatever we asked of him."

As they did their due diligence, Daniels says, MLB assured him that Washington had never had a prior positive test. Maybe it wasn't truly his first time using cocaine; in this day and age of baseball, people are skeptical about everything. Daniels warned Washington that, if the news got out, the public might not buy his story, that 57-year-old men don't generally use cocaine out of the blue. But Washington strongly reiterated his stance, and there was no evidence to discredit him. Ryan and Daniels admired his frankness from the previous day; plus, the team was playing well, and both men felt, from a purely selfish baseball standpoint, they were better off retaining him. What's more, without the game, they felt as if Washington might self-destruct. So they called him in, told him they would keep his drug use private and he should get ready for the second half of the season.

Baseball had gotten him into this mess; baseball would dig him out.

Dealing with the fallout

Washington promised there would never be a second positive test, and he would get to prove it. For the rest of the 2009 season, as well as the ensuing offseason, he says he underwent three mandatory drug tests a week, as well as psychiatric counseling. He felt cleansed. But the best antidote was how the Rangers finished the '09 regular season.

They finished in second place with an 87-75 record, and Ryan and Daniels felt better about sticking with their man. But with his contract expiring after the 2010 season, they still weren't going to rush into an extension, either. The fact was, Ryan had backup plans. He had hired former Rockies manager Clint Hurdle as a coach that offseason and had turned Buechele into a minor league manager. He had options if Washington slipped up in any way.

By spring training 2010, Washington was hoping it was all a nonissue. Vladimir Guerrero had joined the team's monster lineup, seemingly assuring another stirring season, just as Washington was completing his mandatory counseling and drug tests. He volunteered to continue the three tests a week, to give his bosses peace of mind, but, generally, he felt the incident was behind him.
    Whatever the issue is, I hope he is able to address it with a positive outcome.
    Last edited by klw; 09-05-2014 at 04:44 PM.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

-The Insider-

He's not returning...

I just saw this on mlbtraderumors but they didn't mention that he could possibly be back in 2015. Anyway, I sure didn't expect this. Hope everything turns out well with whatever the personal matter is. But, the Rangers could look pretty different next year.

n/m
    Last edited by Tom Servo; 09-05-2014 at 04:43 PM.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Ohhh, I see. They were looking forward to him being back. My bad.

Re: Ron Washington steps down in Texas

At first I just figured it was Wash was having an affair but reading the lines more carefully my guess is a prostitute.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    At first I just figured it was Wash was having an affair but reading the lines more carefully my guess is a prostitute.
    Deadspin floating an unsubstantiated rumor if anyone wants to check it out.

Turn Off Ads?