Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Annoying Coworkers and How to Deal With Them

Annoying Coworkers and How to Deal With Them

I have this coworker, he is socially awkward, and has a really unhappy home life, so I feel bad for him. With that said, every time he comes into my office to tell me something he puts his hand on my shoulder and he always finishes every sentence said to me with the word "buddy."

I do not like being touched by people, and he really cups my shoulder and lingers. I don't like it at all. I don't think it is sexual harassment or anything, as I think he is just really socially awkward and he thinks he is just being friendly.

The "buddy" stuff is just a pet peeve. I have a name, use it.

I am currently interviewing for other jobs, including a transfer to the branch in Cleveland (not because of my coworker, just because I want to live closer to Cleveland.)

Should I just buck up and ignore it, or should I ask him to stop?

And if I should ask him to stop, how should I do it?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Annoying Coworkers and How to Deal With Them

Simply, tell him you have a "thing" about not being touched. Make it sound like you're the weird one, not him. You'll get him off your back and he won't feel like you're shunning him.
    It's not you, it's me.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

4. Likes:

westofyou (09-10-2014)

Save up an SBD for when he stops by.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    Save up an SBD for when he stops by.
    Trust me, that does not stop him.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Say, "Hey Buddy, I like my personal space."
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-10-2014)

They call me "chef"

Your choice of words in your original post gives some insight on your problem.

It's not an attack on a poor 'down on his luck' guy to establish a work boundary. Especially, a physical boundary.

You say "Hey, Kevin. I don't feel comfortable with touching. Thanks. Go on with your story..."

Any reaction from him other than "Sorry, buddy!" is on him. You're not his caretaker and trying to coddle his feelings does not make you a nice guy. It's indirectly a bit insulting and selfish (you aren't better at regulating his feelings than he is).

So, establish a boundary and live free of the touching and codependent guilt.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Trust me, that does not stop him.
    Well, the "silent" isn't strictly necessary.

They call me "chef"

Fill a paper bag with dog poo, light it on fire, and leave it on his front porch.

Then post the video footage here.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Call the fire department, this one's out of control!

Turn Off Ads?