Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you do a Joey Votto for Ed Encarnacion trade w/additions. Yes or No?

Re: Would you do a Joey Votto for Ed Encarnacion trade w/additions. Yes or No?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I would do the trade, but the NL doesn't have the DH. So, no.
    Well, EdE doesn't have to throw when he plays 1B. I don't think I'd do the trade, but not because I'm worried about his D.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

EdE is one of the few defenders I've seen that is so bad that his defense truly mitigates the return on offense. He's that bad. Even at first.

EdE is one of the few defenders I've seen that is so bad that his defense truly mitigates the return on offense. He's that bad. Even at first.
    Really? I thought without the throws he was actually pretty good in the field. He had decent range anyway.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Really? I thought without the throws he was actually pretty good in the field. He had decent range anyway.
    Yips are yips. You can't get rid of em by moving positions.

Forget EE. He just complicates the issue. The question is as follows:

If tomorrow, the Reds could simply rescind the Votto contract. Simply walk away. No more Votto, no more financial obligation to Votto. Would you do it?

And you can't defer the question one more year. You have to decide now. One time chance to do this.

Yips are yips. You can't get rid of em by moving positions.
    I don't think I understand what you are saying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Forget EE. He just complicates the issue. The question is as follows:

If tomorrow, the Reds could simply rescind the Votto contract. Simply walk away. No more Votto, no more financial obligation to Votto. Would you do it?
    You mean, like, just release Votto into free agency, no strings attached?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes sir, a walk away. Would you?

Of course I'd release him. But then I'd be relying on Jocketty to fill that talent void. Not so sure I'd want that at this stage in Jocketty's career. His touch is considerably less deft.

- - - Updated - - -

Yips mean the problems with EE's defense are psychological, and aren't going to vanish with a change in position.

Of course I'd release him. But then I'd be relying on Jocketty to fill that talent void. Not so sure I'd want that at this stage in Jocketty's career. His touch is considerably less deft.
    Thanks for the direct answer, that's the essential issue.

Trading him for EE, or for kids, or whether Walt is the guy to rebuild, are all separate questions. They introduce additional variables.

The key issue is whether the Reds are simply better off without this contract as of right now. Emotionally, we'd all rather keep Joey. From a business perspective, IMO you'd have to let it go.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-11-2014 at 09:02 PM.

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-13-2014)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    You must be skeptical of Todd Frazier, then.
    Care to explain?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I am glad you aren't the GM.

No.
    I am also glad you are not the GM. EdE still has a hard time catching a beach ball, but I would deal Votto for EdE straight up. Just getting rid of Votto's contract is a win for the Reds. Votto is the classic case of a player having one great year and Cincinnati fans over valuing their players. Signing Votto to a LTD will haunt this team until he is off the books. If the Reds to not make major changes this year for 2015 then I do not see the Reds seriously contending until the end of Votto's deal.

Thanks for the direct answer, that's the essential issue.

Trading him for EE, or for kids, or whether Walt is the guy to rebuild, are all separate questions. They introduce additional variables.

The key issue is whether the Reds are simply better off without this contract as of right now. Emotionally, we'd all rather keep Joey. From a business perspective, IMO you'd have to let it go.
    Given that Jocketty's going to be the guy for the next several seasons at least, I don't really think you can separate that question from your question. Unless you're just doing a thought experiment. I think it's highly likely that Votto would out produce Jocketty's prospective replacements. His track record on offensive acquisitions since his arrival has been godawful. One of the four or five worst performers in that regard.

Yips mean the problems with EE's defense are psychological, and aren't going to vanish with a change in position.
    Understood. But his yips at 3B were not usually felt in terms of fielding the ball, but rather throwing it. At 1B, he wouldn't need to do that.

17. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (09-12-2014)

Yes sir, a walk away. Would you?
    I don't think I would, no. Maybe if he doesn't come back next year and look like 2010 (or at least 2013) Votto, I would consider it. I just think it is too early to even think about this. We are all down as the last embers of an awful season wane, but we shouldn't forget what Votto can be when he's healthy. I expect him to be that way in 2015 until he proves me otherwise. Barring another quantum leap forward by Mes, Joey's still the best shot we have at anchoring the middle of the lineup with a legit MVP caliber player. That's not something I just want to throw away.

19. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (09-12-2014)

Turn Off Ads?