Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you do a Joey Votto for Ed Encarnacion trade w/additions. Yes or No?

Re: Would you do a Joey Votto for Ed Encarnacion trade w/additions. Yes or No?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    You must be skeptical of Todd Frazier, then.
    Not even remotely similar and if you'd look at his stats you'd see that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

No.

Career OPS+

Votto 154
    Encarnacion 120
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

4. Likes:

Larkin Fan (09-11-2014),RedEye (09-11-2014)

Hate to say it, but I'd do the trade. Votto is proving fragile and his output will only continue to decrease. Bad pins.

Love the player that he's been but I think he's an "old" 31 and will go the Joe Mauer route. I hate to say all this.

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay

I'd trade him for a Sega Saturn in good condition.

7. Likes:

AmarilloRed (09-11-2014),pahster (09-11-2014),RedTeamGo! (09-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    I'd trade him for a Sega Saturn in good condition.

PS: If you are in the market for a Sega Saturn + the game Nights Into Dreams - I will meet you in the parking lot of the Rudy's Hot Dog on Alexis Rd and sell it to you for $200
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 09-11-2014 at 02:59 PM.

9. Likes:

Crumbley (09-11-2014)

If Votto were placed on waivers would any team claim him right now?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

My answer is yes, and I am one of Votto's biggest supporters.

Due to his contract, Joey Votto is untradeable right now unless the Reds are willing to eat about $100 million of his remaining salary. His contract was questionable when he was playing at an MVP level. Now that he is hurt, playing poorly and getting older his bloated contract gives him a negative value on the trade market.

12. Likes:

RiverRat13 (09-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

PS: If you are in the market for a Sega Saturn + the game Nights Into Dreams - I will meet you in the parking lot of the Rudy's Hot Dog on Alexis Rd and sell it to you for $200
    I'm assuming the Saturn and game case are lined with $100 bills.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post

Due to his contract, Joey Votto is untradeable right now unless the Reds are willing to eat about $100 million of his remaining salary. His contract was questionable when he was playing at an MVP level. Now that he is hurt, playing poorly and getting older his bloated contract gives him a negative value on the trade market.
    Unfortunately this is the answer.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post

Yep. This pretty much sums it up. I had previously and somewhat cynically used a Todd Helton comp with Votto and his contract. At this point, I'm hoping he can perform up to the level Helton did in his 30's (124 games/season & 116 OPS+).
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Encarnacion has had his own injury issues to deal with this year. I understand the point in the trade, to relieve ourselves of salary, but Votto is only 31, and I feel he has several good years left. Great years? Not sure. But he'll be a productive player. His career isn't over and we aren't dealing with a 39 year old player. I feel like people are overreacting a little bit too much to this season. Maybe we won't see 2010 Votto again, but I'll take 2013 Votto in my lineup every day of the week over EdE

17. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (09-12-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Encarnacion has had his own injury issues to deal with this year. I understand the point in the trade, to relieve ourselves of salary, but Votto is only 31, and I feel he has several good years left. Great years? Not sure. But he'll be a productive player. His career isn't over and we aren't dealing with a 39 year old player. I feel like people are overreacting a little bit too much to this season. Maybe we won't see 2010 Votto again, but I'll take 2013 Votto in my lineup every day of the week over EdE
    By my count, the Reds now owe Votto $213 million, minimum, assuming they exercise the buy out before 2024. A mid-market team.

Given Votto's injury status, the question really has nothing to do with EE. The underlying question is would you rather have Votto today with a $213 million price tag or have the money available for other players.

There's no overreaction. I'm a big Votto fan, but the answer seems pretty evident once you look at the amounts involved.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-11-2014 at 07:49 PM.

19. Likes:

Always Red (09-16-2014),Falls City Beer (09-11-2014)

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

No. And while questions like this are perfectly fine for a forum like this, I remind everyone that he has a complete no-trade.

Because he is one year removed from playing 162 games, I am not ready to call him fragile. I still think he will prove worth the money.
    Mack Jenkins's Pants

21. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (09-12-2014),Raisor (09-11-2014),RedEye (09-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    No. And while questions like this are perfectly fine for a forum like this, I remind everyone that he has a complete no-trade.

Because he is one year removed from playing 162 games, I am not ready to call him fragile. I still think he will prove worth the money.
    Of course, any deal would have hurdles, like Votto's approval, this is only a hypothetical here.

You may be right, going forward he may be worth the money. He may not. The question would be, if this trade opportunity arose now, whether you would wager $213 million on it. Or whether you would take the cash and employ it elsewhere.

To put it otherwise, if today Votto were unsigned, and his agent proposed a $213 million deal including a 2024 buy out, would you give Joey the deal? In essence, that's the issue.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-11-2014 at 08:24 PM.

Man Pills

I would do the trade, but the NL doesn't have the DH. So, no.

Turn Off Ads?