Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Giancarlo Stanton hit in the face

Re: Giancarlo Stanton hit in the face

Casey McGehee was the furious player (former Brewer)

Stanton was NOT awarded first....Reed Johnson came in and got hit for Stanton and also was not awarded the base....2 strikes

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That always rubs me the wrong way these days. Guys aren't throwing the 70 MPH they did when that rule was initiated. Guys are throwing 95. You don't have time to get out of the way on those, especially if you even think about swinging.
    Maybe if a batter gets hit in the hand or arm while swinging it shouldn't count as a HBP, but any other part of the body it does count.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Trout been hit twice tonight and Cutch had one sail directly over his head.

Jayson Werth drilled in the hand by Bartolo Colon the pitch after Rendon hit a big HR

Announcers said the pitch was 88. The side angle shows Stanton looking at his hands when the ball hit his face. It as if he was assuming it was a curve based on the trajectory and tracked his eyes to where he thought it was going.

Side view is at 1:23
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v36168595/mia...g-hit-by-pitch
    Last edited by klw; 09-11-2014 at 10:39 PM.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

Too much going on

Really, really hope that he is okay in the long run. Every time I hear about something like this I automatically think about Juan Encarnacion. And we all know how that story ended......

Marlins drill Carlos Gomez....pitcher tossed. Gomez puts head down and jogs to first.

Good job by Gomez ending it and understanding how it works

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That always rubs me the wrong way these days. Guys aren't throwing the 70 MPH they did when that rule was initiated. Guys are throwing 95. You don't have time to get out of the way on those, especially if you even think about swinging.
    My comment on his not moving was not to place blame on him but it was so odd that he did't even jerk away at all. Usually there is some reaction. He just never saw it coming.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

Giancarlo Stanton hit in the face

baseball's are hard, they hurt, let's try not to use them that way.

That said... The Thinking man guide to baseball by Leonard Koppett stated the absolute truth of the game: Hitting and pitching is a battle driven primarily by fear.
    Last edited by westofyou; 09-11-2014 at 11:13 PM.

Beltre will get hit next AB as retaliation for Trout getting plunked twice

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    My comment on his not moving was not to place blame on him but it was so odd that he did't even jerk away at all. Usually there is some reaction. He just never saw it coming.
    Oh I know. I just hate how the rule is written. It's far tougher to "attempt to avoid it" today than when the rule was written. The reaction time is so much less than it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Not sure who the first Marlins player was out of the dugout (tall w/ a three-day beard). He pushed the home plate umpire when the ump blocked his path to Fiers. Got to wonder if he will be paying the price for that.
    It was Garrett Jones that put his hands on the umpire.

So far, called a laceration. X-rays and cat scan to come. Hoping it's a bad cut and a headache only.

17. Likes:

dougdirt (09-11-2014),Old school 1983 (09-12-2014),PepperJack (09-11-2014),RedFanAlways1966 (09-12-2014)

Turn Off Ads?