Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Cincinnati Bearcats Football

2014 Cincinnati Bearcats Football

So, this season has started out ok..... Gunner Kiel seems alright.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2014 Cincinnati Bearcats Football

Welcome back, Munchie

How bout them rockets? My alum is showing some fight!

Ps, I know gunner Kiel is a big transfer from ND and whatnot, but I would like to point out UT is missing 3 cornerbacks due to injury for this one.

Toledo didn't have a strong defense (they are depleted with injuries), but Gunner absolutely shredded them tonight. Went for over 400 yards and 6 TDs in his debut. Tied the school record, even.

UC's defense needs to improve but I think they played vanilla schemes tonight. Very little blitzing and little pressure from the front four all night.

Bearcats may need to outscore everyone like they did in 2009.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

6. Likes:

dougdirt (09-13-2014)

I think OSU will have a tussle with UC. They can throw the ball.

It's about
    the ball,
    the bat,
    the mitt,
    the bases,
    and the fans

8. Likes:

BillDoran (09-13-2014)

I know it's premature but it sure is nice to have a real QB at the helm again!

Lots of things to like about last night's game. Kiel and our receivers looked great. Loved Tubs' aggressiveness too.

I didn't like how many empty sets we ran that led to Kiel taking big hits though, but I guess that's part of the spread offense. He just can't take a beating like that all season, I doubt he'd hold up. Running game was kinda bad, and our defense against the run was very bad. Also our tackling sucked lol.

We're gonna need to keep Kiel healthy so we can outscore everyone this year. If we're not gonna be able to stop anyone, maybe we'll force a lot of turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    We're gonna need to keep Kiel healthy so we can outscore everyone this year. If we're not gonna be able to stop anyone, maybe we'll force a lot of turnovers.
    The 2005 Cincinnati Bengals plan? As long as it works, but it's tough to plan for lol

Not the best showing against a team on a 20 game losing streak. The defense was atrocious, McKay had two terrible drops, and Kiel looked human. The run game is still a question mark, but Tion Green is not the answer.

The positive: these issues can be fixed. The negative: at the Shoe in front of a 100k+ isn't the place to fix them. In a vacuum, UC and Ohio State are very close. But with UC's abysmal defense and the fact that this is at home for OSU, I don't think UC has much of a chance. It may be a shootout early, but I think Ohio State's depth is the difference in the game.

Losing at Ohio State isn't a deal killer on the access bowl, but it won't help. I don't see a team outside of the AAC taking the access bowl spot, but that's not a given for UC. ECU looks like the real deal. UCF is a solid squad. Memphis, Houston and Temple all look much improved. It should be an interesting season.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post

Losing at Ohio State isn't a deal killer on the access bowl, but it won't help. I don't see a team outside of the AAC taking the access bowl spot, but that's not a given for UC. ECU looks like the real deal. UCF is a solid squad. Memphis, Houston and Temple all look much improved. It should be an interesting season.
    BYU has the inside track on the access bowl. Whoever wins the AAC is probably the next man up if BYU slips up, but it's BYU's to lose at this point.

Pardon my ignorance, what is the access bowl?

Essentially, the top non-"Power 5" team gets a bid to a major bowl. I'm not sure how it's going to work mechanically, but the Orange, Sugar or Fiesta (maybe one other in the mix) will have to take a team from outside the power leagues every year.

I think losing at OSU will be enough to knock UC from the "Access Bowl". I don't think they have the kind of team that'll even come close to such lofty heights this year but there's nothing wrong with that. They can still have a very good year and go to a decent Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    BYU has the inside track on the access bowl. Whoever wins the AAC is probably the next man up if BYU slips up, but it's BYU's to lose at this point.
    BYU can get an at-large spot, but independents aren't eligible for the access bowl.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think losing at OSU will be enough to knock UC from the "Access Bowl". I don't think they have the kind of team that'll even come close to such lofty heights this year but there's nothing wrong with that. They can still have a very good year and go to a decent Bowl
    Then (assuming UC wins out otherwise) who goes?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Not the best showing against a team on a 20 game losing streak. The defense was atrocious, McKay had two terrible drops, and Kiel looked human. The run game is still a question mark, but Tion Green is not the answer.

The positive: these issues can be fixed. The negative: at the Shoe in front of a 100k+ isn't the place to fix them. In a vacuum, UC and Ohio State are very close. But with UC's abysmal defense and the fact that this is at home for OSU, I don't think UC has much of a chance. It may be a shootout early, but I think Ohio State's depth is the difference in the game.

The good news is that ECU comes to Cincy so we will have a chance to give them a 2nd loss h2h. I think if we win that game (and the conference), we have a great shot at the access bowl, but with Marshall's horrific schedule we probably only have room for 1 loss if they go undefeated. That means beating OSU or running the rest of them including @Miami FL and the entire AAC schedule. I can see them putting us in over an undefeated Marshall with 1 loss, but not 2. So if we have something like a 10-2 AAC champs year, we need to root for a Marshall loss.

Turn Off Ads?