Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Olney: Trade Cueto

Re: Olney: Trade Cueto

Funk dat, unless a team wants to grossly overpay for him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Regarding Leake, I might try to buy out a couple years of his free agency, rather than give him a LTC. He's young enough to still get a huge payday if he becomes a FA in 2018 as opposed to 2016, so he might be open to it. That buys you a bridge to all these prospects without signing onto something long-term, at which point you could end up with a log-jam.

I think Leake will be looking at a contract more similar to what guys like Garza, Jimenez, and Nolasco have gotten recently.

I don't think he gets more than 4/50-56 on the open market.

I think he would be the easiest for the Reds by far to retain long-term.

nm

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Regarding Leake, I might try to buy out a couple years of his free agency, rather than give him a LTC. He's young enough to still get a huge payday if he becomes a FA in 2018 as opposed to 2016, so he might be open to it. That buys you a bridge to all these prospects without signing onto something long-term, at which point you could end up with a log-jam.
    WOuld be great for the Reds, zero reason for Leake to do it. Why should Leake risk injury for a huge payday in 2018 when he can secure his risk with an earlier payday?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    WOuld be great for the Reds, zero reason for Leake to do it. Why should Leake risk injury for a huge payday in 2018 when he can secure his risk with an earlier payday?
    It depends on whether or not someone will offer him more than four years. Recent history says no, but it's hard to predict the free market.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Just another case of the Reds being viewed as a small market team in spite of their actions for years under BC and even their payroll.

I see the value of trading Cueto while he has value. But at the same time, I wouldn't mind having him in the 2015 rotation at all. Not a bad problem to have.

On a general note, let me posit something here. A lot of people are wary of long term contracts, and I share that concern.

In an era of dwindling offense, I would be extra wary of giving a LTC to a pitcher. If anything, we should be more apt to give LTC's out to solid hitters, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

9. Likes:

mdccclxix (09-22-2014)

mlbtraderumors explores the trade value for each of the Reds post 2015 starters:
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...-pitchers.html
    ... Though Cincinnati’s durable and deep rotation has been a big part of the club’s success in recent years, pitching seems like a natural area for payroll reduction simply due to the fact that three starters will enter their third year of arbitration eligibility.

Two pitchers who won’t be dealt are Homer Bailey and Tony Cingrani. ...

It’s possible Cincinnati could trade multiple starters, though I’d suspect that the team wouldn’t want to lose too much pitching depth until they know Bailey and Cingrani are fully healthy. ...

The Reds’ other four pitchers are all controlled only through 2015, so the team likely wouldn’t score a truly huge return in a trade but all carry value even as one-year pitchers. The candidates…
    With this variety of available starters and a wide variance in asking prices for each of the four pitchers, many teams could fit as potential trade partners for the Reds under the “you can never have too much pitching” argument. If the Reds look to deal a starter and fill an everyday lineup hole at the same time, they’ll likely target a left fielder or a shortstop as upgrades on Ryan Ludwick and Zack Cozart, respectively. Ludwick has a $9MM mutual option for 2015 but after two negative fWAR seasons, the Reds might instead buy him out (for a deferred $4.5MM) and look for other options.

Using these needs to speculate about trade partners, the Cubs, Diamondbacks and possibly the Indians stand out as teams with a shortstop surplus. The Red Sox have a glut of outfielders and are known to be looking for starting pitching. The Dodgers could finally solve their long-standing logjam in the outfield and, if it meant getting back Cueto or Latos, would be willing to eat a lot of salary on one of their high-priced outfield bats.

As Ken Rosenthal noted (video link), the Reds could employ some gamesmanship with their starters and perhaps leverage them against each other in figuring out which (if any) pitchers they want to sign over the long term. Between these negotiations and waiting for the free agent pitching market to play out, Cincinnati might wait until January or even February to move a starter. At this point, the only thing that seems certain about the Reds’ 2015 rotation is that at least one of Cueto, Latos, Leake or Simon won’t be on the roster come Opening Day.
    Last edited by klw; 09-22-2014 at 09:22 AM.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    Just another case of the Reds being viewed as a small market team in spite of their actions for years under BC and even their payroll.
    Last night....that is what they were talking about as well. NO mention of upcoming new TV deal. They had no clue. Just...it is the Reds, small market, cannot keep all their pitchers due to money, not practicality.

Olney on 2015 bounceback for the Reds:
    http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/bust...y/post?id=8128
    I don't have insider but I assume this is separate from the trade Cueto piece.
    ST. LOUIS -- The 2014 season began evaporating for the Cincinnati Reds the first week after the All-Star break. Three straight losses against the Yankees, three more against the Brewers, another to Washington … a flurry of failure from which they have never recovered.

So here they are playing out the twilight of the summer game, and for some, there are already thoughts about what will be different next year. Bryan Price, the manager of the Reds, sat in the cinder-block office assigned to the visiting manager Sunday in St. Louis and recited his team's record: 71 wins, 84 losses. "That team," he said, "is not a 71-84 team."
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Olney on 2015 bounceback for the Reds:
    http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/bust...y/post?id=8128
    I don't have insider but I assume this is separate from the trade Cueto piece.
    Mostly about Votto and Bruce...mostly Bruce. It talks a lot about his injury and how he isn't making excuses but he is ready to rest and rehab starting Oct. 6th.

A quote...
    '
    Jay Bruce knows exactly what day he intends to start his offseason work: "October 6," he said definitively, pinpointing the day he will resume the maintenance work on his left knee, which was surgically repaired early in the season. The joint never fully recovered -- he knows this, especially from the way it felt with his first step in right field -- and neither did his production. Bruce, 27, started the day with a .212 average and 16 homers after hitting at least 30 homers in each of the three previous seasons.

"This has been the most miserable six months of my life," Bruce said. "This is obviously not what I envisioned for this year. I look forward to getting home and starting the [offseason] rehab on my knee, and get back to feeling athletic."

NOTE: I know many people don't have ESPN Insider and maybe can't afford it but if you look around online for subscription deals for ESPN The Magazine you can often get it for very very low...like maybe even $10 to $15....especially around Christmas. With the subscription you get Insider for the entire duration of your sub. It's a great deal except the fact that you have to get the magazine in the mail and it is just a horrible magazine in my opinion. Insider is great though.
    Last edited by paulrichjr; 09-22-2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: ESPN Insider Info
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Chapman is a free agent after 2016. He reaches a year early due to a clause in his contract. I can't remember the specifics of the clause, just that it exists.
    "When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch." - Ty Cobb

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Honcho View Post
    Chapman is a free agent after 2016. He reaches a year early due to a clause in his contract. I can't remember the specifics of the clause, just that it exists.
    That wouldn't be a year early. He played in 2010 but not long enough to count as a year.

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016..that is 6 full years.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Turn Off Ads?