Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Fertility Discussion (medical stuff)

Re: Fertility Discussion (medical stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I'm very sorry to hear life was so difficult for you.

(Those jerks in wheelchairs, amirite?)
    No, the point is that some people (like people in wheelchairs) have life a lot more painful and more difficult than pregnant women, but they aren't jerks.
    But I don't expect you to get that.. So go ahead, get another snarky remark in.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Likes:

George Anderson (04-08-2015),Sea Ray (04-08-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I went through exactly what this couple is going through and my wife was not a Debbie Downer. This is not something most husbands have to deal with so he has my sympathies. In fact he's given us a nice history of this whole process and her attitude does not seem to be linked to pregnancy hormones

5. Likes:

REDREAD (04-08-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I'm very sorry to hear life was so difficult for you.

(Those jerks in wheelchairs, amirite?)
    you apparently never read Infinite Jest

guess I should say, that my wife was great thru both (successful) pregnancies, and handled the loss of 2 with far better aplomb than most. She even had some things that stumped doctors, was even told by an ER doctor that "that's not possible" even though it was the exact same scenario she went thru with the first child, so she knew exactly what the problem was and why it happened.

Did you know aloe Vera in natural deoderant causes your baby to be born with a hand growing out of its head? I just learned that today.

9. Likes:

kearns and dunn (05-19-2015),REDREAD (04-10-2015),RiverRat13 (04-11-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Did you know aloe Vera in natural deoderant causes your baby to be born with a hand growing out of its head? I just learned that today.
    You need to start a drinking game where you take a sip everytime you're told something stupid in the next 9 mos

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    You need to start a drinking game where you take a sip everytime you're told something stupid in the next 9 mos
    Hey, we don't want RedTeamGo dying of alcohol poisoning
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

12. Likes:

Sea Ray (04-11-2015)

Update:

This morning I heard my child's heartbeat for the first time. What a wonderful experience. The baby is healthy and the doctor said everything looks good. In 2 weeks we are going back for the 12th week ultrasound and genetic testing.

My wife is really starting to settle into the pregnancy and doesn't stress as much as she did at first. There are still things she will eat or come in contact with that stresses her out, but she has definitely calmed down quite a bit.

Everything is going well and we are very happy.

14. Likes:

kbrake (05-19-2015),kearns and dunn (05-19-2015),medford (05-20-2015),RedEye (05-19-2015),RiverRat13 (05-20-2015),Sea Ray (05-19-2015),vaticanplum (05-20-2015)

genetic testing.
    First of all, congrats! that first ultrasound is an amazing, unforgettable experience.

Second (and maybe this should go on the political board, but I promise not to respond/argue with you, just curious how others feel), you're going to do the genetic testing? We always passed on it, because it didn't matter to us. We weren't going to do anything about it no matter what the test results showed, so we figured there was no point. Just curious how you're approaching the genetic testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    First of all, congrats! that first ultrasound is an amazing, unforgettable experience.

Second (and maybe this should go on the political board, but I promise not to respond/argue with you, just curious how others feel), you're going to do the genetic testing? We always passed on it, because it didn't matter to us. We weren't going to do anything about it no matter what the test results showed, so we figured there was no point. Just curious how you're approaching the genetic testing.
    You can argue with me about it, definitely no offense will be taken. This is our first child, so I am new to all of this, so I absolutely welcome experienced parent's views on any of these subjects. Thank you for giving yours.

With that said, we are uncertain about this, and if we found out something was wrong, we would still absolutely go through with the pregnancy. I think it is just a peace of mind type of thing. If we found out something is abnormal we could mentally prepare ourselves for what is ahead. If everything checks out normally we will know. My wife, as a result of taking medicine to get pregnant in the first place is constantly worried it is going to have a negative effect on the child, so that factored into us wanting to do it.

For me, I am the type of person that if I come across a movie spoiler on the internet it is extremely difficult for me to not read it. That is kind of how I look at genetic testing and finding out the gender of the baby. I want to know as soon as I possibly can, because it is the type of brain I have.

Congratulations, RTG! I'm not sure I knew that your wife was pregnant and that you'd come out of this situation so well. Perhaps a new thread is in order with a more positive sounding title?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

You can argue with me about it, definitely no offense will be taken. This is our first child, so I am new to all of this, so I absolutely welcome experienced parent's views on any of these subjects. Thank you for giving yours.

With that said, we are uncertain about this, and if we found out something was wrong, we would still absolutely go through with the pregnancy. I think it is just a peace of mind type of thing. If we found out something is abnormal we could mentally prepare ourselves for what is ahead. If everything checks out normally we will know. My wife, as a result of taking medicine to get pregnant in the first place is constantly worried it is going to have a negative effect on the child, so that factored into us wanting to do it.

For me, I am the type of person that if I come across a movie spoiler on the internet it is extremely difficult for me to not read it. That is kind of how I look at genetic testing and finding out the gender of the baby. I want to know as soon as I possibly can, because it is the type of brain I have.
    Congrats.

As to genetic testing my wife and I both looked at each other and said no right off the bat. The only way I can see the use of it is if you or your wife had a family history with a nasty gene. Other than that I don't think I would want to live my life with knowing someone in my family had a recessive gene that may or may not every show itself.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Congrats.

As to genetic testing my wife and I both looked at each other and said no right off the bat. The only way I can see the use of it is if you or your wife had a family history with a nasty gene. Other than that I don't think I would want to live my life with knowing someone in my family had a recessive gene that may or may not every show itself.
    As someone with a genetic disease (VHL or VonHippel-Lindau), I think this is shortsighted. When I was a kid, there was no genetic testing, so no one really knew what I had (or if it was genetic). When I had my kids, I was a bit apprehensive, because I intuitively thought that some of my health troubles could be genetic.

When I was correctly diagnosed (at 48), I was very relieved also to find out that my two girls hadn't inherited the faulty gene sequence. The disease is manageable, but it's good to know what to look for.

If I were to have kids today, I would probably go the in-vitro route which now allows to select the fertilized eggs that don't carry the bad gene. If you can spare your children illness and suffering, I think you should do it.

It's just that when people think "genetic testing", they automatically think "Down Syndrome" and the like. But nowadays there's so much more that can be detected. You can be against terminating pregnancy, but its best to know what you are up against, IMO.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

20. Likes:

RedEye (05-20-2015)

My wife and I have had this discussion, we were both of the opinion, that since we wouldn't abort the pregnancy no matter what, what was the point? Potentially giving you something to worry about for the next 5 months? Now, if you're heading into it, and doing Invitro, I could see where that makes a bunch of sense, as mentioned above. If you are pro abortion (neither of us are, but don't want to get into the political debate) then perhaps it make sense, or at least gives you your options to weigh.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what the exact benefit is. Are there things they can detect that they can't detect easily once the child is born? I'm certainly open to learning more.

Congrats by the way, glad to hear things are progressing as "they should"

Fertility Discussion (medical stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    My wife and I have had this discussion, we were both of the opinion, that since we wouldn't abort the pregnancy no matter what, what was the point? Potentially giving you something to worry about for the next 5 months? Now, if you're heading into it, and doing Invitro, I could see where that makes a bunch of sense, as mentioned above. If you are pro abortion (neither of us are, but don't want to get into the political debate) then perhaps it make sense, or at least gives you your options to weigh.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what the exact benefit is. Are there things they can detect that they can't detect easily once the child is born? I'm certainly open to learning more.

Congrats by the way, glad to hear things are progressing as "they should"
    I think that, abortion debate aside, genetic testing can be a great thing emotionally for some couples. It is darn accurate nowadays and for *some* knowing things in advance can help them prepare for whatever lies ahead rather than experiencing it as a shock at the time of birth or during the child's development.

For us, what wasn't as helpful were the age-based screening tests, which weren't as specific and only gave you a ballpark idea of odds (e.g. 1 in 200 chance of Down syndrome or the like). But what is helpful are the diagnostic blood tests, which have effectively replaced amniocentesis -- which used to be the only way to know for sure, and was a 1 in 200 risk of miscarriage. Neither of our pregnancies had to go that far, but it certainly is an advantage over the old options.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Turn Off Ads?