Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Josh Donaldson anyone?

Josh Donaldson anyone?

Donaldson (for prospect(s) - Robert Stephenson, Kyle Waldrop/YRod & Naftali Soto? - he's under club control until 2019) to 3B, Frazier to LF, Latos for SS Addison Russell, backfill the pen as well as the bench and extend Cueto [/offseaon)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/1...era-smoak.html

In this morning’s Insider-only blog, ESPN’s Buster Olney writes that he feels a Josh Donaldson trade is likely for the Athletics this offseason. Billy Beane has shown a willingness to trade players at their peak value, Olney writes (citing the Gio Gonzalez and Trevor Cahill trades, among others), and Donaldson’s salary will begin to rise quickly now that he’s hit arbitration. Olney looks at the rest of Oakland’s roster and notes that no other trade candidate has value as high as Donaldson’s, so while Jeff Samardzija would be an attractive chip, Donaldson could help Beane usher in his next roster reconstruction.
    CF Billy Hamilton (B)
    SS Addison Russell (R)
    1B Joey Votto (L)
    LF Todd Frazier (R)
    3B Josh Donaldson (R)
    RF Jay Bruce (L)
    CA Devin Mesoraco (R)
    2B Brandon Phillips (R)
    Last edited by corkedbat; 10-02-2014 at 12:20 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Josh Donaldson anyone?

Donaldson for Stephenson? (Personally I don't see how)

But yes, done and done!

Sabermetric fielding stats don't seem to agree but from watching Frazier day in and out and seeing Donaldson at 3B a lot this season I think Frazier is a superior 3B to Donaldson.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Sabermetric fielding stats don't seem to agree but from watching Frazier day in and out and seeing Donaldson at 3B a lot this season I think Frazier is a superior 3B to Donaldson.
    Can Donaldson play left?

7/17/14 - Fangraphs says Donaldson is the 17th most valuable player trade-wise in professional baseball. Just keep that in mind. It would take a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    7/17/14 - Fangraphs says Donaldson is the 17th most valuable player trade-wise in professional baseball. Just keep that in mind. It would take a lot.
    Thought about including Leake, but didn't think Beane would want him. Then again, a young starter who was good enough to go straight to the league, 11 games over .500 with a sub-4.00 ERA, good for nearly 200 innings and with no long-term entanglement - he might with the right youngsters packaged with him.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Thought about including Leake, but didn't think Beane would want him. Then again, a young starter who was good enough to go straight to the league, 11 games over .500 with a sub-4.00 ERA, good for nearly 200 innings and with no long-term entanglement - he might with the right youngsters packaged with him.
    You have to figure if Beane is trading Donaldson, it is due to his salary. So yeah, that must be considered in the return.

I can't see the A's dealing Donaldson, but if they were looking to, I hope the Reds would be in on it. Either Frazier or Donaldson could be the LF and voilà -- a much better offense.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

You have to figure if Beane is trading Donaldson, it is due to his salary. So yeah, that must be considered in the return.
    I still don't think they'd go for it either, but Leake would be a 200 inning starter who will cost around $8-10M for one year. IF Beane deals Donaldson it would be because he's entering Arbitration and about to get expensive for several years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I can't see the A's dealing Donaldson, but if they were looking to, I hope the Reds would be in on it. Either Frazier or Donaldson could be the LF and voilà -- a much better offense.
    Agreed. Posted because it was an option I wouldn't mind, not because i thought the chances of it happening were that high. Todd may well be a bit better at third, but I've got a feeling he would be considerably better in LF. Seems as if JD has played fewer than 10 games in the OF between the minors and MLB combined.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 10-02-2014 at 12:39 AM.

12. Likes:

RedEye (10-02-2014)

I just don't see Beane wanting to trade Donaldson the more I think about it. He has the 3rd best (non-pitcher) WAR over the past 2 years. Top 15 rank in offense and defensive value (all positions included). He may be at his peak but he is really, really good and cheap. Milk one more year out of him then look to deal him if you must.

14. Likes:

757690 (10-02-2014)

I just don't see Beane wanting to trade Donaldson the more I think about it. He has the 3rd best (non-pitcher) WAR over the past 2 years. Top 15 rank in offense and defensive value (all positions included). He may be at his peak but he is really, really good and cheap. Milk one more year out of him then look to deal him if you must.
    Remember this came from Buster Olney, and Yankees have a glaring hole at 3B.

Anyway, A's are set to contend again next year. Pretty much everyone important is back and the payroll is fine. They might blow it up in 2016, but only if 2015 doesn't work out.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

16. Likes:

M2 (10-02-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Anyway, A's are set to contend again next year. Pretty much everyone important is back and the payroll is fine. They might blow it up in 2016, but only if 2015 doesn't work out.
    Must be difficult for the A's FO to get a read on what needs to be done. The current group of players put on an absolute Jekyll and Hyde act this year.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Must be difficult for the A's FO to get a read on what needs to be done. The current group of players put on an absolute Jekyll and Hyde act this year.
    I agree. But the talent is there. They were the most talented team in baseball according to Baseball Prospectus' third order wins. They need another hitter to replace Cespedes, but that's about it. Blowing it up would be a knee jerk reaction to a poor finish, in my opinion.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I'd be on board for the plan in the OP. However Id caution two things- I think Donaldson would cost more in prospects, and I think that the Reds can't really afford to add more pitching (ie Leake or Lorenzen) if they're going to move Latos and Stephenson.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?