Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Qualifying Offer News

Re: Qualifying Offers To Be Worth $15.3MM This Offseason

Truth is truth. What you are calling rudeness, I am calling truth. Supply and demand is simple economics. The median us salary is around $54K. If you make less than, it is because you are easily replaceable. It is really that simple. If you are that hard to replace, then I guess you are just a poor negotiator.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/20/news...median-income/
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    Truth is truth. What you are calling rudeness, I am calling truth. Supply and demand is simple economics. The median us salary is around $54K. If you make less than, it is because you are easily replaceable. It is really that simple. If you are that hard to replace, then I guess you are just a poor negotiator.

Just because someone is replaceable does not mean their actual production is replaceable, which was my point. It also does not mean you should be a richard.

You are not enlightening anyone about supply and demand by the way. Most of us went to high school.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I certainly think that is an issue with the channels these games are on. That is MLB's fault, though. Inexcusable.

I would hope so...Thursday Night Football is a joke.

The fact we are comparing playoff baseball to Thursday Night Football is a problem.
    The NFL is king. It was a spotlight game on a cable network versus MLB games on a cable network. Seems like a fair comparison.

- - - Updated - - -

Just because someone is replaceable does not mean their actual production is replaceable, which was my point. It also does not mean you should be a richard.

You are not enlightening anyone about supply and demand by the way. Most of us went to high school.
    If their actual production isn't replaceable, then they should be asking for a raise. I don't see z as being a "richard" here at all.

What? Sure it does.

It sure seems like you don't get it.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The NFL is king. It was a spotlight game on a cable network versus MLB games on a cable network. Seems like a fair comparison.

- - - Updated - - -

If their actual production isn't replaceable, then they should be asking for a raise. I don't see z as being a "richard" here at all.
    I understand why it comes off that way. At the end of the day, it is just the simple truth of the matter. I already got a infraction for my first post.

I am not at all sorry for what I said. I am sorry for side tracking the thread. I won't address this anymore. Sorry guys.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

- - - Updated - - -

Curious: Have you ever worked in a business environment? As someone that has worked in distribution/sales at a Fortune 500 company for awhile now I can tell you customer service reps, that get paid very little compared to management and sales reps can make a world of difference for huge customers. They have relationships with customers that can be extremely difficult and sometimes impossible to replace. At the end of the day, though, if they were to ask for a large raise, upper management would say no because they "are just customer service." When those people leave because they are fed up with management their relationship with the customer is not replaceable. It just isn't. This is real life, though, it's not black and white.

Singling out Sir_Charles was the rude part. It was just a throw-a-way comment meant to be taken lightly, he didn't have to be told he is "easily replaceable." As I said, you don't know what he does, maybe he is a teacher, maybe he works at a non=profit, maybe he is a young entry level person working his way up.

- - - Updated - - -

What? Sure it does.

It sure seems like you don't get it.
    I get it, but I have real world experience and understand life is not as black and white as economists want to believe.

Everyone is replaceable. It has noting to do with how much you make.

After Spider-Man One and Two, movies that made over a billion dollars combined world wide, Toby Macguire made certain contract demands, not about money, but about small things, like doing his own stunts. The studio didn't want to give in to them, so the went behind his back and started negotiating with Jake Gyllenhaal to replace Macguire in Spider-Man Three. They went as far as working out a complete contract. Once Macguire found out they were planning on replacing him, he dropped all his demands.

If Spider-Man is replaceable, we all are replaceable.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

9. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (10-20-2014),RedlegJake (10-13-2014),RedTeamGo! (10-13-2014)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Everyone is replaceable. It has noting to do with how much you make.

After Spider-Man One and Two, movies that made over a billion dollars combined world wide, Toby Macguire made certain contract demands, not about money, but about small things, like doing his own stunts. The studio didn't want to give in to them, so the went behind his back and started negotiating with Jake Gyllenhaal to replace Macguire in Spider-Man Three. They went as far as working out a complete contract. Once Macguire found out they were planning on replacing him, he dropped all his demands.

If Spider-Man is replaceable, we all are replaceable.
    And how much was Jake Gyllenhal going to get? I'm guessing $10M or so. Which is the point. Yes, we are all replaceable, but some of us (most of us) are very easily replaceable compared to those with extremely rare skillsets that people want to see or that are actually needed (actors/athletes/musicisians/doctors/lawyers/CEOs/etc). Us every day workers, there are a whole lot of us. We aren't special even if we want to think we are. That's why we make 5-6 figures a year and those guys make 8 figures.

There are a lot more moving parts in discussing salaries than just the end result. That being said, let's make sure that we stay on track in this thread. A thread on salaries as relating to non-baseball pay rates would be great in the politics forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Their talent and our wanting to watch their talent gave them their riches. I don't want to watch the kids at Kroger push carts in the rain. Their union isn't making them rich because anyone can do their job and no one wants to watch it.
    Actually, baseball was a very unique industry due to the reserve clause. A team basically "owned" a player, and the player had only two choices: Play for the team or retire. This obviously limited any leverage they had to obtain the "riches" that later players earned. So, Crumbly was pretty accurate in saying that unionization made them rich, because it broke the reserve clause. Previously, despite having talents that could not be replaced, they had little control over their earnings.

You could only compare them to Kroger employees if Kroger previously prevented their employees from working for anyone else. Looking back, it's hard to believe that baseball even operated that way.

Fangraphs early predictions on Pitcher QOs:
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/predi...fers-pitchers/

James Shields, Max Scherzer, Ervin Santana, Hiroki Kuroda, Francisco Liriano, David Robertson
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo!
    Singling out Sir_Charles was the rude part. It was just a throw-a-way comment meant to be taken lightly, he didn't have to be told he is "easily replaceable." As I said, you don't know what he does, maybe he is a teacher, maybe he works at a non=profit, maybe he is a young entry level person working his way up.
    Just to clarify...I'm not thin skinned so, no...what he said didn't "hurt my feelings" or any such nonsense. I'm a General Manager for 3 subway stores in Houston. I've been with the company for 27 years now so definitely not "entry level". As for me making what I make...that's mostly a choice on my part. No I don't push for raises simply because I know the odds are it either won't happen or they'll want to insist on my working more hours. As it is I'm only working 3 days a week for roughly 30-35 hours a week plus one day for an hour or 2 doing paperwork. I know I could make a ton more by leaving but this fits my schedule perfectly as I have 4 daughters and have NEVER had to use day care due to the flexibility of my job. It pays the bills, but not much else.

The comment about my pay relating to MLB players pay...it was tongue in cheek mostly. Regardless of what I personally make, I'll always find it amusing to see MLB players haggling over 12.3 million or 12.5 million. I know they work hard, but the fact still remains that they're getting paid to play a game. People can spin that however they want to, but I'll never be able to rationalize how a pro athlete gets paid that much more than a school teacher does.

15. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (10-21-2014),Hubba (10-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Just to clarify...I'm not thin skinned so, no...what he said didn't "hurt my feelings" or any such nonsense. I'm a General Manager for 3 subway stores in Houston. I've been with the company for 27 years now so definitely not "entry level". As for me making what I make...that's mostly a choice on my part. No I don't push for raises simply because I know the odds are it either won't happen or they'll want to insist on my working more hours. As it is I'm only working 3 days a week for roughly 30-35 hours a week plus one day for an hour or 2 doing paperwork. I know I could make a ton more by leaving but this fits my schedule perfectly as I have 4 daughters and have NEVER had to use day care due to the flexibility of my job. It pays the bills, but not much else.

The comment about my pay relating to MLB players pay...it was tongue in cheek mostly. Regardless of what I personally make, I'll always find it amusing to see MLB players haggling over 12.3 million or 12.5 million. I know they work hard, but the fact still remains that they're getting paid to play a game. People can spin that however they want to, but I'll never be able to rationalize how a pro athlete gets paid that much more than a school teacher does.
    Sorry, didn't mean to say your feelings were hurt or anything. That particular mind-set Z-fly was displaying just annoys me.

Sorry, didn't mean to say your feelings were hurt or anything. That particular mind-set Z-fly was displaying just annoys me.
    Back at you my friend. Back at ya.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Wasn't trying to do either.
    Don't worry. You didn't.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?