• Kyle Waldrop

30 93.75%
  • Ryan Wright

3 9.38%
  • other(s)

10 31.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Would You Add to the 40-Man Roster to Protect from the Rule 5 Draft?

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Who Would You Add to the 40-Man Roster to Protect from the Rule 5 Draft?

Tim Adleman
    Signed out of indie ball, the soon-to-be-27-year-old put up a solid line in relief for Pensacola.
    Junior Arias
    Clearly the most talented of the group, he had an injury-shortened season that saw improvement in plate discipline.
    Carlos Gonzalez
    Dominated in the California league, but his production dropped off significantly following a promotion to AA.
    Drew Hayes
    After his third year in AA, still has plenty of improvements to make, but his K-rate was once again excellent.
    Jake Johnson
    The lefty put together a solid season out of the pen for Bakersfield, but it's yet to be seen if he has the stuff for more advanced hitting.
    Steve Selsky
    Has done a great job of getting on base. If not for more power, would be a lot more promising of a prospect.
    Juan Silva
    Nothing blows you away in the tools department, but he has consistently produced at every level.
    Juan Silverio
    His plate discipline is still atrocious, but he's still young for his level and produces promising power numbers.
    Bryson Smith
    A utility outfielder at best, the role still has value. Has shown good defense and an ability to make contact despite the down year.
    Jamie Walczak
    Still has a ways to go in terms of throwing strikes, but he has an excellent K/9 year-in and year-out.
    Kyle Waldrop
    Has some tools to go along with a breakout year. His ability to hit for contact is in question, but 2014 was very encouraging.
    Ryan Wright
    His approach at the plate needs a lot of work, but the Reds really like him.

2. Likes:

mdccclxix (10-10-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who Would You Add to the 40-Man Roster to Protect from the Rule 5 Draft?

Amir Garrett should be on the list as he is eligible this year.

Waldrop, Garrett, Arias, Gonzalez (probably should've left him off, but there's a lack of relief quality on the farm) and I was torn between Silva and Silverio - went with Silva. With the state of crap the MI is in, I could see the Reds keeping Wirght as well.

For the record, Jacob Johnson is a righthander.

I guess the companion question is how many spots will be surrendered. In addition to the current 40, two to four more--Votto, Bailey, Marshall and Trevor Bell--will be coming off the 60-day DL. If, say, all but Bell are returned to the 40, that means four guys would have to be removed to add somebody new.

The pool of likely candidates for removal might include Dennick, Partch, Villarreal, Elmore, Hannahan, Santiago, Soto, Bourgeois, Ludwick, and Schumaker. Perhaps, also, the likes of Heisey, Axelrod, Contreras, Guillon, Lutz, and Duran.

At any rate, it seems to me they could accommodate at least three to five newbies without much agonizing.

Of the guys in the poll, only Waldrop and Garrett seem like no-doubters to me. I can't see a team putting Arias on the roster unless it thinks his speed and defense can get him into some games. I don't see much need to protect the others. Maybe Gonzalez. That said, I'd rather not lose Johnson, Silverio or Silva.

Edit: The more I think about it, the slight risk of losing Arias isn't worth taking. I'd add him. Gonzalez, too.
    Last edited by mace; 10-09-2014 at 05:37 PM.

Usually with the Reds you agonize over leaving people off the forty.

Not this year.

Add Waldrop and Garrett and wouldn't agonize over any other moves. Whatever they decide ok with me.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-10-2014 at 12:09 AM.

8. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (10-10-2014)

What's Navarro's status?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Usually with the Reds you agonize over leaving people off the forty.

Not this year.

Add Waldrop and Garrett and wouldn't agonize over any other moves. Whatever they decide ok with me.
    My thoughts exactly
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Remove Santiago, Ludwick and Hannahan, Add Votto, Bailey and Marshall

Non-Tender Ondrusek and sell Partch to Japan that makes 2 spots to add Waldrop and Garrett. Not sure they do much more. If they want to add more then DFA Elmore, Soto, Villareal, Dennick and maybe Guillon.

Adleman may be a way under the Radar candidate to get a look from some team looking to save money. The guys I most value beyond Garrett and Waldrop are Arias and Silva. I don't really think the Reds are at much risk of losing anybody this year.

One other possibility, but probably not for the Reds, is to get a realistic outlook on Marshall. If it's likely that he'll never pitch again, then maybe they just open a spot by saying goodbye and being done with it. Since roster spots seem pretty easy to create given the state of the last 5 or so guys on the roster, it probably won't be necessary.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Junior Arias is the only one outside of Garrett and Waldrop to consider, and there is no way he is close enough to stick on another teams MLB roster.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

13. Likes:

Benihana (10-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Junior Arias is the only one outside of Garrett and Waldrop to consider, and there is no way he is close enough to stick on another teams MLB roster.
    That's why I left Arias off my list. Waldrop and Garrett are the only two I'd really, really want to be sure were kept. Everyone else has to be weighed against what you have to cut loose and as iffy as the last 3 or 4 spots are, I'm not sure anyone else on the current list of possible Rule 5s is a better keeper.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

15. Likes:

Benihana (10-10-2014)

I only voted Waldrop because I didn't know Garrett needed to be added. Obviously he's a no brainer. I'd also add Navarro if that's necessary.

Navarro would have to be added. He's been a free agent and anyone that has been a free agent is eligible to be drafted each year.

As for Junior Arias, I wouldn't get too entrenched in the "he's too far away" camp. Last season JJ Cooper and I talked about it on twitter and both thought there was a chance someone could take him. Can he hit at the big league level right now? No. He can't. But, he's nearly as fast as Billy Hamilton is, so he can be a pinch runner for you. He's a strong defensive center fielder (and presumably could cover you in the corners) with a strong arm, so he could absolutely play defense for you. If you mix and match him against the right kind of pitchers, he may not kill you offensively while you work with him on other things. A team could try and hide him on the bench if they don't have a shot at competing and potentially pick up a high upside guy who can actually help them out in some ways right now.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (10-13-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Navarro would have to be added. He's been a free agent and anyone that has been a free agent is eligible to be drafted each year.

As for Junior Arias, I wouldn't get too entrenched in the "he's too far away" camp. Last season JJ Cooper and I talked about it on twitter and both thought there was a chance someone could take him. Can he hit at the big league level right now? No. He can't. But, he's nearly as fast as Billy Hamilton is, so he can be a pinch runner for you. He's a strong defensive center fielder (and presumably could cover you in the corners) with a strong arm, so he could absolutely play defense for you. If you mix and match him against the right kind of pitchers, he may not kill you offensively while you work with him on other things. A team could try and hide him on the bench if they don't have a shot at competing and potentially pick up a high upside guy who can actually help them out in some ways right now.
    I appreciate that Doug, and I have seen Arias play live. I appreciate the talent, but put it this way, if he was on the Reds major league bench, he would become the most hated player on this board very quickly. He is toolsy but roster spots are too precious to worry about Arias IMO.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I appreciate that Doug, and I have seen Arias play live. I appreciate the talent, but put it this way, if he was on the Reds major league bench, he would become the most hated player on this board very quickly. He is toolsy but roster spots are too precious to worry about Arias IMO.
    I wouldn't protect him, but I'm saying he has the right abilities that you could hide him on the bench if you wanted to on a team going nowhere and hope that in two-three years he can come back up from the minors and be ready to play full time.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I wouldn't protect him, but I'm saying he has the right abilities that you could hide him on the bench if you wanted to on a team going nowhere and hope that in two-three years he can come back up from the minors and be ready to play full time.
    The list of teams who could hide him?
    San Diego?
    Arizona?

I don't think an NL team could do it, they would be forced into using him. The same as the "Walt should not have a no hit backup SS" argument, because you eventually have to play him in a critical spot.

Minnesota?
    Houston?

I still think he is too far away.

Turn Off Ads?